• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to use pika perfect pivot?

NinjaPotato

Smash Rookie
So I started using Cstick as attack and I wanted to know any basic things i absolutely need to learn? (like combos and strategies)

O Hobbit

Smash Cadet
Pika's perfect pivot is usefull to link up-tilts on opponents that uses jumps to approach/to punish. With the perfect pivot you can increase your attack range, and when connecting the up-tilt it's possible to start the combo or whatever you want to do. This is really usefull against Captain Falcon, Sheik, Fox and a few others.

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
So, there's a big question that your thread provokes: your title says, "how do I use perfect pivot?" whereas your opening post asks for strategies to use with C-Attacks (A-sticking? I forget the lingo). The applications of both of these things are different, so I'll break down what I know.

Setting Right Stick to Attack

There are a couple benefits you get right out of the gate by setting your right stick to Attack, instead of to Smash.
  • You can use your A-stick whenever you need a Tilt. This sounds a little obvious, but especially in punish and footsie situations, I'm far more likely to accidentally Smash on a Tilt attempt than vice-versa, and you never want to accidentally get a Dsmash or non-tipped Fsmash when you're playing Pika.
  • You can now use your A-stick to use Aerials independently of your movement. This means you can really hone those Fairs and practice landing with just the tip to avoid punishes, as well-spaced Fairs are actually pretty difficult to punish for many characters. You can also practice being way more ambiguous with whether you're landing Fair as a crossover or not, so that characters like Ike or Ryu who can't hit both sides with a fast move will have to preemptively commit to one or the other. It also makes it easier to track people in the air when you're juggling with Uair, especially if you're playing with Tap Jump On or you set Jump to a shoulder.
But now for some of the less-obvious stuff:
  • You can get a back-pivot Ftilt without waiting through the Fsmash cancelling period.
  • You can more reliably execute difficult moves like SH RAR Uair and SH RAR Bair when you distribute the command between both your hands.
  • Walk forward Dtilt gets easier. Like, a lot easier.
Perfect Pivoting
  • One of Pika's most useful and dangerous attacks is Utilt, but it's major weakness as an offensive / punish option is that it starts behind Pika and then moves to his front. Perfect Pivoting allows Pika to slide towards his opponent, butt first, and with the business end of Utilt active. You can also Perfect Pivot with Ftilt when you need to close space, but you need a little extra reach and you don't want to commit to a Dash Attack (and none of us ever do).
  • You can now Perfect Pivot backwards with your Dtilt. The advantage this has over the way-simpler Pivot-Ftilt is the better frame data and Pika's low profile, which causes things like incoming Aerials and several characters' grabs to whiff over your head.
  • Perfect Pivot Fsmash has greater range than Dash-Cancelled Fsmash, I think.
So yeah, hopefully that gives you some stuff to think about and try with your fancy-pants new A-stick!

Top Bottom