• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Up B cancel free. (THE DIRECTION DOESN'T MATTER)

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace

The direction doesn't matter. Just up-B, QC right and smash the stick left. If you somehow think left then right is easier, do that. Change the speed to 1/4 in the video if you wanna see it slowly. I nearly do a whole circle half the time.

Then, most importantly, hold the direction. It makes it 2875923847 times easier.

I'm posting this because I still don't see Docs in matches doing this out of shield and people tell me it's because it's too inconsistent or too hard or whatever. But, like, it comes out six frames faster than upsmash (eight if they're in front of you!). And it only has two more frames of recovery.

IT'S PRETTY DANG GOOD. USE IT.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Personally I don't have any trouble performing this when practicing, and can do it over and over with or without hitlag without error. But when being pressured in a game it becomes much more inconsistent. To be confident I have to be consciously thinking about it beforehand, so that I make sure I release the stick to neutral fast enough. Besides upair OoS is amazing and I will opt for that whenever there is time, and even regular up-b OoS can be good if they are shining in your face. Lightshielding is also pretty great against spacies and makes them screw up l-cancels for a free grab to death. up-bc is good, but high risk and no followups make it a last resort imo.

Also what do you mean the direction doesn't matter?

Last edited:

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
so that I make sure I release the stick to neutral fast enough.
But that was my whole point. If you don't let go to neutral it's way, way easier to pull off. And there are definitely follow ups given that it has comparable lag to up-smash out of shield, which is a great option, and doesn't send them as far.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
But that was my whole point. If you don't let go to neutral it's way, way easier to pull off. And there are definitely follow ups given that it has comparable lag to up-smash out of shield, which is a great option, and doesn't send them as far.
I think that's subjective, this way requires a really fast smash after a really fast QC, to me it's way harder then just a QC flick and kinda painful.

It only gives followups if they DI in, and maybe an upair if they tech a platform.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
No, it's not subjective, it just makes sure you don't miss the opposite direction on frame 4 by going too fast. Even if there's not a lot of follow ups, getting a move out of shield in three frames is pretty substantial.

I specified the direction doesn't matter (right-left or left-right) because other guides seem to imply that it does (you have to go forwards then backwards, which simply isn't true)

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
-_- it's subjective If I think it's harder, even if I'm the only one. I don't get how this method helps the frame 4 input. Plus it's 4 frames from shield cos jumpsquat fyi. Well with this method you are covering both upbc setups, so it works either direction, but other methods usually only work with one direction, because they do not hold the opposite direction on frame 4.

Frame 3: forward
Frame 4: back
Dr. Mario will end up facing back

OR

Frame 2: anywhere but full forward
Frame 3: back
Frame 4: anywhere but back,
diagonals included (upback, downback)

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
It helps the frame 4 input cause it prevents you from doing it too quicky, obviously.
Quit being such a downer :^)

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
When you hit something, you can do the frame 4 input as late as frame 7. There's a lot of time to slow it down if you do happen to be doing it too fast, altho tbh pushing up-b, hitting back the next frame and hitting neutral the next seems like it'd be seriously difficult. If it works for you then great, but I'm not convinced to stop doing it mr.lemon's way

shockage

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty convinced there are a number of different methods for doing up-b cancels;

for left-facing up-b cancel, i smash the stick downwards and back up in a diagonal.

for right-facing up-b cancels, i QC the stick around

its kind of funny how many different methods are for up-b cancel lol.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
thank you, i am still learning up-b cancel.

At this moment i am only able to do the reverse version. there are so many guide but i am still in the mist. what about explai it with simple GC controler command?

what i do now is: UP+B,DiagonalUP in the opposite orentation from where i was facing- without letting the directional stick back to his center/neutral position (i got this from some other guide)

But i just succed in hit with the first frame of upB then ending the move in the oposite side.

Thanks for any help

CoffeeB1ack

Smash Rookie
Wooooo finally an easier way to do up-B cancel. Cant wait to try and find a combo that could link this to a F-air

Top Bottom