• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to test TV for lag.

EasilyDistracted54

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2363-5722-4046
Yes, I know this thread has been posted countless times, but still. For the record, I do own a CRT, but Its massive and such an inconvenience to move around. I use nintendont on a wii with composite.
Currently I use a small insignia tv, ill post any specifics necessary when I get home. But at the moment im not noticing any lag, however have exclusively played on this tv so I could have just gotten use to it. I did play on the CRT once, and noticed some difference, but im not entirely sure if it was a actually better, or if it was just like a placebo affect.

So is there any type of test or something I can do to determine if there is any lag, other than comparing the two?
Any help if appreciated.

Pauer

The Pauerful
So is there any type of test or something I can do to determine if there is any lag, other than comparing the two?
There is. Achilles published some code like a year ago that does that. You can find it here under the 'other codes' section.
I believe it is also included in the 4.05 version of 20XX but I'm not sure.

EasilyDistracted54

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2363-5722-4046
There is. Achilles published some code like a year ago that does that. You can find it here under the 'other codes' section.
I believe it is also included in the 4.05 version of 20XX but I'm not sure.
4.05 dose not have it from the looks of it, I'll try a earlier version I guess

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
4.05 dose not ha
ve it from the looks of it, I'll try a earlier version I guess
Earlier versions don't have it for sure. I've used all of the previous versions since he first posted that code.
It's a bit of a hassle getting the code to work on console with all that gecko stuff.
I'll try and see what I can do myeeld and maybe by tomorrow I have an xdelta patch you can simply apply to any 1.02 iso.

I found the original post btw. Maybe something in there helps:
http://smashboards.com/threads/code-input-delay-tester.337865/
Turns out Dan wrote the code, not Achilles which is why I didn't find it when I first searched for it.

Last edited:

EasilyDistracted54

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2363-5722-4046
Earlier versions don't have it for sure. I've used all of the previous versions since he first posted that code.
It's a bit of a hassle getting the code to work on console with all that gecko stuff.
I'll try and see what I can do myeeld and maybe by tomorrow I have an xdelta patch you can simply apply to any 1.02 iso.

I found the original post btw. Maybe something in there helps:
http://smashboards.com/threads/code-input-delay-tester.337865/
Turns out Dan wrote the code, not Achilles which is why I didn't find it when I first searched for it.
I'm not very familiar with adding codes, so what am I suppose to do with it? Can you give me a run down on how to?

I tried the code on 20xx 4.05, it froze, so i'm going to try it on a vanilla version. No luck, froze at the main menu both times I attempted.

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
I'm not very familiar with adding codes, so what am I suppose to do with it? Can you give me a run down on how to?

I tried the code on 20xx 4.05, it froze, so i'm going to try it on a vanilla version. No luck, froze at the main menu both times I attempted.
yeah you shouldn't have tried it on 20xx, that may have caused the problems. codes like that should always be added to vanilla. Anyways, sorry I took so long, my computer had some issues.
So I turned the code into a DOL mod, meaning it's inside the .iso now and not code that needs to be handled externally. All you now have to do is apply this xdelta patch to a 1.02 version of melee. It should be straight forward but if you have any issues, see this tutorial on how to apply xdelta patches.

Last edited:

EasilyDistracted54

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2363-5722-4046
yeah you shouldn't have tried it on 20xx, that may have caused the problems. codes like that should always be added to vanilla. Anyways, sorry I took so long, my computer had some issues.
So I turned the code into a DOL mod, meaning it's inside the .iso now and not code that needs to be handled externally. All you now have to do is apply this xdelta patch to a 1.02 version of melee. It should be straight forward but if you have any issues, see this tutorial on how to apply xdelta patches.
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to make this for me.

EasilyDistracted54

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2363-5722-4046
Top Bottom