• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to take advantage of Lucina's even sword damage (lack of sourspot)?

Darthrai

Smash Cadet
In the early days, people were saying that the fact that Lucina lacking a sweetspot on her sword like her idol Marth could provide her with an advantage. Now we know that Marth is better overall, but is there a way to take advantage of the even damage throughout Lucina's blade (i.e. play in a way that wouldn't be so effective if done with Marth himself)?

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Playing a bit more inaccurately. Lucina's balanced sword damage means that the cost of not hitting the tip is very low and allows a more relaxed style of play where you can consistently hit the sword for the same damage regardless of where you hit it.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Ideally, it means you get more reliable KOs out of her at higher percents, but in my experience it really doesn't amount for much, since an unintentional tipper from Marth still kills way faster.

Darthrai

Smash Cadet
Ideally, it means you get more reliable KOs out of her at higher percents, but in my experience it really doesn't amount for much, since an unintentional tipper from Marth still kills way faster.
Are there players who usually try to avoid tippers from opposing Marths? If so, I can imagine Lucina would be a good choice in those situations.

P1 Jake

Smash Rookie
NNID
P1-Jake
3DS FC
4398-9435-7143
One of the habits I change between the two is I tend to kill with running U-Smashes way more with Lucina, since it draws people in and even damage dispersal on the hitbox, plus it can catch people off guard at times. But as already stated, mainly at higher percents.

Hapsby

Smash Rookie
Her shield breaker is easier to break shields with in my opinion because it does large shield damage all along the blade while Marth does best shield breaking with the tip.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Lucina, much like Marth, has mad Air Game skillz, so try to take advantage of jump striking, and playing the 'poking game' which is jumping, and tapping N-B allowing you for a quick strike with her shield breaker doing notable amounts of damage, or possibly hitting the opponent with a non-charged N-B is useful, it will bring the shield low, or break it all together.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
In the early days, people were saying that the fact that Lucina lacking a sweetspot on her sword like her idol Marth could provide her with an advantage. Now we know that Marth is better overall, but is there a way to take advantage of the even damage throughout Lucina's blade (i.e. play in a way that wouldn't be so effective if done with Marth himself)?
I do believe that since her blade is balanced, alot of the setups and combos I've written on work slightly better in her favor for racking damage up. Like the same DB Up B setup used by Lucina would not stuff up as easily as Marth who would need to be mindful of where he hits the target and for what results he wants. Marth is more likely to kill faster than rack up lots of damage, so it is a choice of priority really. Both of them can do what the other does relatively the same in the end, but Marth does kill slightly faster, but at the risk of placing himself in danger at points if he messes up.

The singular knockback, regardless of where you hit with the sword, does help a bit with knowing exactly where your opponent will go and you can take advantage of it. Others on the post here also stated her better USmash, as well as her application with the SB. The way she swings her SB in particular is aimed higher than Marth's, and can potentially be used to target opponents above her easier than Marth can.

I'm trying to be very careful how I word all this, given what has happened in the past ^^" But hopefully this helps.

Are there players who usually try to avoid tippers from opposing Marths? If so, I can imagine Lucina would be a good choice in those situations.
I am actually a Marth that avoids tippers at points so I can rack up the damage faster via all the setups/combos I go for. But I like the challenge of having to be consious of how I space, and I align myself with Marth more than with Lucina really. But Lucina does make it a bit easier to go for some of those setups/combos, so I give it to her for that as her main advantage

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
An overly specific an ultimately trivial example, but I recently noticed a minor difference in what combos are achievable by the two.

If I go to Training and set a Captain Falcon to 60% damage, Lucina can perform two forward aerials in a row and the combo counter will say "2".

I try the same thing with Marth and if I hit with his sourspots, the combo counter remains at "1". If I hit with the sweetspot of his forward aerial, the Falcon is sent too far away to combo into another forward aerial altogether.

Granted, you have to position Lucina so close to the Falcon that they're basically hugging each other thus making this highly impractical, but hey, it's something. Maybe there's more combos and setups out there that only work for her.

Top Bottom