• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to stop using tap jump.

Serperior

Wobbler
After playing Jigglypuff for quite a long time and using tap jump I cant seem to get out of the habit. Any suggestions because I'm unable to do falcos tech as easy as I should be while using tap jump.

Thanks for your time! :happysheep:

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Try your best not to jump with the joystick, and only with other buttons. I became accustomed to using it as well, but once you get used to not having it for a couple days, it would feel weird having it on again.

Try having a battle against CPUs where you only use aerials. That way, you can get used to another jump button.

Last edited:

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
I still used tap jumping for some stuff like jump cancels and upb stall.
Yeah in general it's slowing and makes tech harder. I feel like if you just drill harder and harder tech with x or y on your own you'll be forced to use the buttons and you'll make the switch easier than just trying to convince yourself to not use tap jumping.
Try getting multishines and waveshines smoother and it should sort itself out. If you can still do that stuff with tap jumping, you might as well just stick with tap jumping.

GameRat

Smash Cadet
I never tap jump. I've always used the y button to jump, and I usually run into the problem up trying to do an up-tilt.
I can't do it quickly, as it will count as a jumping command.
I really wished they had an option in the game where you could disable tap jumping like in Brawl.

AirFair

Marth tho
I just stopped using it, and practiced jumping with X only. It's just a matter of making it muscle memory.

TeeJay308

Smash Cadet
I never tap jump. I've always used the y button to jump, and I usually run into the problem up trying to do an up-tilt.
I can't do it quickly, as it will count as a jumping command.
I really wished they had an option in the game where you could disable tap jumping like in Brawl.
Tap-jumping can be pretty useful when you're going for shine UpB combo's, though.

Last edited:

idm øphelia

Smash Rookie
Practicing Up-Tilts can serve as a double purpose IMO since you'll train yourself to find that sweetspot between not tap-jumping and not doing an Up-Smash. I had to painstakingly take my thumb and slowly slide the control stick up whenever I wanted to Up-Tilt but now it just comes as naturally as Wavedashing and SHL. Practice often sucks but it helps Embarrass

KevJames

Smash Apprentice
Changing something you've been accustomed to is pretty difficult, especially in smash where muscle memory is very important. It takes roughly 2-3 weeks to form a habit if done consistently. So if you're motivated to truly make the transition, practice practice practice.

NotMike

Smash Rookie
If you get the 20XX melee training thingy, you can disable tap jump, which would force you to get used to using X and Y for jumping.

Lime Cultivist

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-3457-2010
Really wouldn't recommend getting used to using tap jump much, well, as spacies at least. I still use it occasionally though for jump cancelled up smash and SH double laser.
I would agree with getting the 20XX pack if you really want to get out of the habit.

Top Bottom