• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to split characters like Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle?

Uikri

Smash Rookie
So I've noticed that in Project M, Ivysaur, Charizard, Squirtle, and Sheik have all been split to be separate characters. As of right now, I'm only using Project M characters of my choosing, such as Sonic, Snake, and Link, while leaving everyone else the same. My only problem with this is that the initially mentioned characters are back to being lumped together. How do I split them back up? Is it something in one of the common#.pac files?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
As of right now, I'm only using Project M characters of my choosing, such as Sonic, Snake, and Link, while leaving everyone else the same.
This really isn't fully possible. Whatever you're playing is some weird thing that is neither Brawl nor Project M. What defines each character is in neither the codeset nor the character files, but a combination of both. You cannot play PM Fox vs Brawl Wolf, it simply isn't possible, and this Help & Support forum isn't here to help you hack Project M. It's here to help people who are having issues getting Project M to load properly.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Whatever your playing is some strange monstrosity of your own creation and we can`t help you.

Uikri

Smash Rookie
Whatever you're playing is some weird thing that is neither Brawl nor Project M.
I'm aware. I like some characters' Project M versions better than their Brawl versions, and vice versa. I'll give you an example of what I've done. Right now, I am using Sonic with his project M moveset and physics, but I am using Brawl Marth. Project M Sonic works exactly as he would if I were using the full Project M mod, and Marth is unchanged. I theorize that this is possible because all or nearly all of the changes to the characters' moves and physics are implemented via the fitfighter.pac and .pcs files. Given that this is a theory, I could be wrong, but his moveset and physics most definitely have changed since placing the .pac & .pcs files in his fighter folder.

...hack Project M...
I assure you I am not hacking project M. I am using select pieces of it instead of the full mod. One of those select pieces is splitting certain characters, which I am presently unaware of how to do.

Whatever your playing is some strange monstrosity of your own creation and we can`t help you.
Perhaps I did not explain well. All I did was place the fitsonic and fitsonicmotionetc.pac & .pcs files into his pf>fighter folder, as well as the corresponding files for other characters like Snake (Though this has proven unsuccessful with the PokéTrainer trio). This changed the way he moved, his moveset, his up (I think up) taunt, how fast he fell, etc. I'm wanting to know how I can split the PokéTrainer Trio and Zelda & Sheik, so that I can then use their .pac & .pcs files and thereby have their Project M versions available for use. I am assuming this is done via editing one of the common.pac files.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I'm aware. I like some characters' Project M versions better than their Brawl versions, and vice versa. I'll give you an example of what I've done. Right now, I am using Sonic with his project M moveset and physics, but I am using Brawl Marth. Project M Sonic works exactly as he would if I were using the full Project M mod, and Marth is unchanged. I theorize that this is possible because all or nearly all of the changes to the characters' moves and physics are implemented via the fitfighter.pac and .pcs files. Given that this is a theory, I could be wrong, but his moveset and physics most definitely have changed since placing the .pac & .pcs files in his fighter folder.

I assure you I am not hacking project M. I am using select pieces of it instead of the full mod. One of those select pieces is splitting certain characters, which I am presently unaware of how to do.

Perhaps I did not explain well. All I did was place the fitsonic and fitsonicmotionetc.pac & .pcs files into his pf>fighter folder, as well as the corresponding files for other characters like Snake (Though this has proven unsuccessful with the PokéTrainer trio). This changed the way he moved, his moveset, his up (I think up) taunt, how fast he fell, etc. I'm wanting to know how I can split the PokéTrainer Trio and Zelda & Sheik, so that I can then use their .pac & .pcs files and thereby have their Project M versions available for use. I am assuming this is done via editing one of the common.pac files.
That`s not how it works. All of the character`s movesets and physics are a combination of the codeset and the character files. While you may get some attributes of that character when you transfer them over, you can`t completely port the character to brawl and in the end, because of the fact that they are playing on a different engine, they will feel completely different. You won`t be able to do things like DACUS, Wavedash, L-cancel, directional dodging, or other things from the engine. I also find it stupid that you put in some characters, why do you want a slow brawl Marth and a fast Melee-like sonic with completely different physics (EDIT: I am not saying Brawl is bad, I`m just saying it`s slow). Your cast is going to be more unbalanced then they were in Brawl already because all of the Project M characters have had buffs to make them do alot more damage so that matches play more like Melee, so you`ll have your Project M ported characters doing like 10 damage on there weakest attack, while your brawl characters will be doing 3.You saying "I like some project M characters better then their brawl counterparts and vice versa" doesn`t work when they are essentially two completely different games with there own engines, mechanics, and physics.

Also, to answer your original question, it`s a code for the GCT file, you will either need to surf the internet for 5 hours to find it in a standalone form or use the Project M GCT.

Uikri

Smash Rookie
That`s not how it works. All of the character`s movesets and physics are a combination of the codeset and the character files. While you may get some attributes of that character when you transfer them over, you can`t completely port the character to brawl and in the end, because of the fact that they are playing on a different engine, they will feel completely different. You won`t be able to do things like DACUS, Wavedash, L-cancel, directional dodging, or other things from the engine. I also find it stupid that you put in some characters, why do you want a slow brawl Marth and a fast Melee-like sonic with completely different physics (EDIT: I am not saying Brawl is bad, I`m just saying it`s slow). Your cast is going to be more unbalanced then they were in Brawl already because all of the Project M characters have had buffs to make them do alot more damage so that matches play more like Melee, so you`ll have your Project M ported characters doing like 10 damage on there weakest attack, while your brawl characters will be doing 3.You saying "I like some project M characters better then their brawl counterparts and vice versa" doesn`t work when they are essentially two completely different games with there own engines, mechanics, and physics.

Also, to answer your original question, it`s a code for the GCT file, you will either need to surf the internet for 5 hours to find it in a standalone form or use the Project M GCT.
I only put some characters in because I'm more concerned with enjoying the game again instead of everything being balanced and competitively viabe. I don't play competitively anyway. I tried the full mod first and found I did not like the way things felt as a whole. So you're saying that there are other changes made that affect character physics outside of the fighter pac and pcs files? If so, which files do this? The common#.pac files? Would this explain why Snake will occasionally freeeze in a grab pose and be unable to act until somebody does something to him? What do you mean when you say Project M uses a different engine?

And alright, I'll take a look at the PM gct file. If I use that, will Squirtle, Charizard, and Ivysaur's pac and pcs files stop crashing the game, or does that have to do with something else? Will the gct file also split Zelda and Sheik?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I only put some characters in because I'm more concerned with enjoying the game again instead of everything being balanced and competitively viabe. I don't play competitively anyway.
It has nothing to do with balance, if you use Project M characters with the Brawl engine all of the Project M characters will be broken and defeat all of the Brawl characters within 4 to 5 hits, or (depending on the character) vice versa.

So you're saying that there are other changes made that affect character physics outside of the fighter pac and pcs files? If so, which files do this? The common#.pac files? Would this explain why Snake will occasionally freeeze in a grab pose and be unable to act until somebody does something to him?
That would be the GCT file. Yes, if a character ported from project M causes issues like freezing your game, stops moving until hit, or does 999% damage in one hit, that mainly has to do with them playing on a different engine and not having there character data stored in the GCT file.

What do you mean when you say Project M uses a different engine?
Project M reworks the engine to make it more like Melee and help other mechanics work properly. They reworked it so much that it`s almost a completely different engine. Characters made for Brawl won`t work properly in Project M`s Engine and vice versa.

And alright, I'll take a look at the PM gct file. If I use that, will Squirtle, Charizard, and Ivysaur's pac and pcs files stop crashing the game, or does that have to do with something else?
They should stop freezing, but did you copy over the squirtle, ivy, charizard, and pokemon trainer files? If they still freeze after that then it probably has something to do with the things I said above.

Will the gct file also split Zelda and Sheik?
yes

The GCT file contains the engine files, small amounts of character data, and other things Like the CE and ACE. so if you only want the Pokemon and Zelda to split, you can`t just copy the gct file. You`ll need to make your own GCT file containing the codes for those specific actions.

Top Bottom