• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Smashboards like a Pro

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Link to original post: [drupal=1506]SmashBoards Tips and Tricks[/drupal]

As of March 10th, I have been on the SWF for an entire year. It took me awhile, but eventually I realized there's a LOT to do around here. As such, I've accumulated a bunch of little navigational tips and tricks that I'd like to share with some of the old and new alike.

For many of you, I believe this is your starting point whenever beginning on Smashboards (with interchangeable operating systems and web browsers):

I'm personally using Firefox on Leopard OSX, so my page might look a bit different...

I'm using Ad Block and NoScript to remove a bunch of the annoying ads. If you'd like, you can have the same page as me with a few downloads:

There's a couple other ways to view the SWF actually. If you scroll down to the bottom of the main page, you'll see a little drop-down menu labeled "Quick Style Chooser." You have three different themes to choose from.

There's Smash Blue.

And there's Classic Blue in addition to the standard Revolution most of the SWF uses.

Returning to the main Revolution theme, I'm sure you've noticed the five tabs available at the top. Boards, Connect, News, Wiki, and Network. My favorite is Boards, personally.

It holds my favorite and most useful feature - the Control Panel (CP). With my settings, I'm automatically subscribed to every thread I post in. It took me awhile to figure it out, but these settings let me follow my discussions much more easily then hunting random threads down.

You can do the same by pulling up the CP and going to Edit Options on the left.

Click down to Default Thread Subscription Mode...

And then bring down No Email Notification. It'll subscribe to every thread you post in, and display new posts in your CP. Don't forget to Save Changes at the bottom.

Beyond the CP, there's another cool feature under the Boards tab. Clicking New Posts brings up the absolute latest posts in all of SWF. It'll pull up hot threads, a lot of regional chat threads, and even Melee threads (you won't realize it's a Melee thread until after you've been freaked out by everyone talking about Captain Falcon beating Marth). It's a fun "I'm bored" button.

Next to the Boards, comes the fun Connect tab. It holds all of the Smashboards signature features, such as:

A bustling and popular IRC Chat:

An incredible and functional Friend Finder:

Awesome Social Rooms:

And even a Snapshot and Custom Stages browser:

Yea, the Connect tab is cool. But the News tab is where it's REALLY at.

No, not really. But the SmashWiki tab is cool. I personally think it's AWESOME we have our own Wiki. It's pretty informative if you take a look.

And finally, the pretty worthless Network tab.

Eh, that's it for the tabs. Just one little reply tip:

You know when you're typing a reply and want to add color? Well, you're not restricted to the swatches shown.

Replace the typed color with "hotpink" or "#202020" to get different colors not listed - I'm sure there's tons. You can even do it with fonts as well.

That's about it for now - have fun with these, and keep exploring as I always am. :D

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Haha, well done.

Smashboards is my favorite MMORPG. I'm a level 80 Moderator and have been around since the launch of the Revolution Skin expansion.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Haha, well done.

Smashboards is my favorite MMORPG. I'm a level 80 Moderator and have been around since the launch of the Revolution Skin expansion.
lololol

Makes me wonder what the Close Beta skin looked like.

Good stuff, Meno. One of the best ways to contribute to the site is teaching the newcomers. Threads like this need to be stickied in the Meet and Greet.

Patinator

Smash Champion
What I like most about this thread is how the atheists' room got into the picture for "awesome social groups". ~^_______________________________^~

Otherwise, this is a good idea. Much better introduction to newcomers than "NOOB U SUK".

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
...No mention of the search feature?

That thing is seriously amazing, it is helpful in so many situations, especially for people like me that would rather look it up/find it themselves instead of asking other people.

I love the chat by the way. :p

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I hated the title. :ohwell:

So, I'd like to emphasize this little bit:

Beyond the CP, there's another cool feature under the Boards tab. Clicking New Posts brings up the absolute latest posts in all of SWF. It'll pull up hot threads, a lot of regional chat threads, and even Melee threads (you won't realize it's a Melee thread until after you've been freaked out by everyone talking about Captain Falcon beating Marth). It's a fun "I'm bored" button.

The New Posts button is really cool - I highly suggest it.

And the search is... okay at times. I hate the fact that it can't search for two words without freaking out though.

EDIT: The fixed it omg.

Top Bottom