• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to short hop on 3ds?

Cynthetik

Smash Rookie
I know this may be a stupid question. I'm aware that you can short hop by lightly pressing the cstick up, but is there an easier way of doing this? It's really hard to regulate keystrokes, especially on my 3ds. Is there any way to keybind short hopping?

InitialK

I'm that TO Guy
Hey there Cynthetic,

No question is a stupid question around these parts so feel free to post whatever questions you have!

Sadly, there is no way to just SOLELY key-bind short hops on a specific button as this is a skill learned through repetition/muscle memory. Dedicate your time and practice to getting it down as this is the only way. You can try using other buttons as your Jump button to see if comfortability may be your problem here. Most people I know bind jump to either the Y/X/L or R Triggers on their Gamecube Controller but with the 3DS, you have free reign of choosing any button you feel most comfortable with.

Personally, I feel that binding your jump on the Y button is the best bet. Try it out and let us know how it went!

P-J

Smash Rookie
Good question. For me personally, my best method for short hopping at first was using solely the tip of my thumb and basically lightly running it down off the button. This way, the button didn't register a full press (aka a full hop).

On the gamecube controller, I used to do this on the Y button. I developed this awful habit of running from Y to A in a consecutive motion and using my angled aerials without even touching the c-stick. Needless to say, this limited my aerial game pretty hard, so I converted to running my thumb sideways off X and immediately going to the c-stick or tapping A for a nair. I've also tried to get better with simply tapping instead of sliding off, it's just muscle memory in all honesty.

D

Deleted member

The technical reason why a short hop occurs is because the jump input was registered very fast, not because it was pushed lightly. It's significantly easier if you just push the jump input fast as opposed to lightly.

Top Bottom