• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Recover Using Zero Suit's FlipJump (Beginners)

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
This is a Guide for beginners/ Intermediate players to learn how to recover.

Using the footstool to recover
Hey everone, i doubt i'm the only person who has had the problem of getting cliff-hogged with Zero Suit, but i have recently come across an easy way to fix this problem. Now, i know the advanced players are probably highly aware of this, but i decided i'd go through to help people. Using tips i learned from Rise's thread about Zero Suit i began to practice doing jumps through my Down+B (The footstool kick). This move has incredible priority, and some hidden tricks.

Step one to recovery!

Hokay, so you just DI'ed and now you're out in limbo, trying to make it back to the edge. You know you've got one jump and you have one down B, that will get you some horizontal recovery. You've also been blessed with a beautiful tether that can grapple ungodly distances. So, you have a pretty good arsenal.

You're going to want to jump and use your Up+B, because that will increase your jump by over 30%. Which is crazy. So youre going to want to jump, and then 3/4th of the way through your jump, use your up+B, that should give you some extra distance. Nickriddle advises to use this closer to the stage and save it.

There's two areas of the maps you've been knocked into. Eiter A) the top half, or B) the middle. Now, if you were knocked into the top half of the map, you should be in good shape because your extra 30% should have given you accurate room to make it back to the stage. You can even try to set up a back kick for any cliff-hoggers. HOWEVER if you were in the middle/higher middle, you might be worrying. If you have a friend (or enemy) that decided it'd be cool to cliff-hog you, it's your chance to shove it in their face. Normally when Zero Suit does her footstool and it hits the edge (where you would be grabbing it) and someone is there you depressingly reflect right back into the abyss you came from. Most people just picking up Zero Suit think its fun to try and Up+B the opponent and pull them down. most of the time you don't end up pulling them down anyways.

So this is what to do.

Step 2 to recovery!​

If you use your Footstool (Down+B) and you hold your jump button (trying to time the jump was too hard for me) you will immediately bounce off of any person or object you come in contact with. If someone's edge-hogging you you will bounce immediately off of them. I'll try to post a video of this. Or screen shots. If Diddy Kong is on the edge, and he's shotting peanuts at you, or snake is throwing grenades try to footstoll bounce off of them. the TOP of them. Don't kick them..... Bad things happen.

That's what i have learned is helpful for recovering with zero suit.

ALSO. I have just edited this with information on how to spike almost every time.
To SPIKE every time​

This is more of a tip list. than anything else....
1) If you have managed to stun them while they are near the ledge, props. If they are hanging from the edge, you might have a better chance running and back kicking them into the ledge for a stage spike. If this is not possible, you have to rely on the knockback to help you out.

2) If you have been playing Zero Suit for more than 5 minutes you will have realized that there is knockback after you downsmash them. So, if they are off the edge, time for the knockback. wait a moment, use down+B, and then release JUST as the knockback kicks them into your foot. If they knockback into a stalling foot it most likely wont spike.

3) You need to keep in mind that most light characters (Pikachu, jigglypuff) don't get knockback like everyone else.. they go straight up. So just, be aware of that.

4) Experiment and see what works.

-Mink.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
This is a Guide for beginners/ Intermediate players to learn how to recover.

Using the footstool to recover
Hey everone, i doubt i'm the only person who has had the problem of getting cliff-hogged with Zero Suit, but i have recently come across an easy way to fix this problem. Now, i know the advanced players are probably highly aware of this, but i decided i'd go through to help people. Using tips i learned from Rise's thread about Zero Suit i began to practice doing jumps through my Down+B (The footstool kick). This move has incredible priority, and some hidden tricks.

**** D.I.'ing with Zero Suit.
You're going to want to immediately hit up on the C-stick. Zero Suit's best DI move is her up aerial, since its the fastest move. Now, be warned Zero Suit is incredibly light of a character... so she is going to be able to get hit off easily. You'll find when you're at 120, mid stage, and Samus uses a full charge beam at you, you can still up aerial, and survive. Pretty boss.
Be careful though, not using the C-stick. If you use Up on the analog stick you could easily waste your jump, or end up killing yourself.

Step one to recovery!

Hokay, so you just DI'ed and now you're out in limbo, trying to make it back to the edge. You know you've got one jump and you have one down B, that will get you some horizontal recovery. You've also been blessed with a beautiful tether that can grapple ungodly distances. So, you have a pretty good arsenal.

You're going to want to jump and use your Up+B immediately, because that will increase your jump by over 30%. Which is crazy.This is actually terrible advice. You should be saving your jump and your down-b for when you get closer to the stage. If you use one, they only have to predict when you do the other one, and you can die. So youre going to want to jump, and then 3/4th of the way through your jump, use your up+B, that should give you some extra distance.

There's two areas of the maps you've been knocked into. Eiter A) the top half, or B) the middle. Now, if you were knocked into the top half of the map, you should be in good shape because your extra 30% should have given you accurate room to make it back to the stage. You can even try to set up a back kick for any cliff-hoggers. HOWEVER if you were in the middle/higher middle, you might be worrying. If you have a friend (or enemy) that decided it'd be cool to cliff-hog you, it's your chance to shove it in their face. Normally when Zero Suit does her footstool and it hits the edge (where you would be grabbing it) and someone is there you depressingly reflect right back into the abyss you came from. Most people just picking up Zero Suit think its fun to try and Up+B the opponent and pull them down. most of the time you don't end up pulling them down anyways.

So this is what to do.

Step 2 to recovery!​

If you use your Footstool (Down+B) and you hold your jump button (trying to time the jump was too hard for me) you will immediately bounce off of any person or object you come in contact with.You can actually input a jump at any time during the down-b, and it will try to footstool the entire time it can. It makes timing it easier, and you do not have a hand on the B button anymore. If someone's edge-hogging you you will bounce immediately off of them. I'll try to post a video of this. Or screen shots. If Diddy Kong is on the edge, and he's shotting peanuts at you, or snake is throwing grenades try to footstoll bounce off of them. the TOP of them. Don't kick them..... Bad things happen.

That's what i have learned is helpful for recovering with zero suit.

ALSO. I have just edited this with information on how to spike almost every time.
To SPIKE every time​

This is more of a tip list. than anything else....
1) If you have managed to stun them while they are near the ledge, props. If they are hanging from the edge, you might have a better chance running and back kicking them into the ledge for a stage spike. If this is not possible, you have to rely on the knockback to help you out.

2) If you have been playing Zero Suit for more than 5 minutes you will have realized that there is knockback after you downsmash them. So, if they are off the edge, time for the knockback. wait a moment, use down+B, and then release JUST as the knockback kicks them into your foot. If they knockback into a stalling foot it most likely wont spike.

3) You need to keep in mind that most light characters (Pikachu, jigglypuff) don't get knockback like everyone else.. they go straight up. So just, be aware of that.

4) Experiment and see what works.
People can actually DI how the stun knocks them away, so they can see if you do the down-b early/late and change how they are sent away, making it harder to get the spike.

-Mink.
Comments in this color.
Just trying to help. :D
People should also start recovering with normal walljump > b-reversal up-b.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Comments in this color.
Just trying to help. :D
People should also start recovering with normal walljump > b-reversal up-b.
Do you have a vid?
I don't think i've ever seen that tech used before in person or in vid, and that'd be great in combat since i'm used to being gayed by people -.-

Thanks for the comments by the way. I mean i don't battle MLG people, or pros... just the scrubs in the area, and thats what i've picked up.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Do you have a vid?
I don't think i've ever seen that tech used before in person or in vid, and that'd be great in combat since i'm used to being gayed by people -.-

Thanks for the comments by the way. I mean i don't battle MLG people, or pros... just the scrubs in the area, and thats what i've picked up.
I have personally never done it.
It's just possible.
^^,

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I think your DI section isn't described pretty good.
Just tapping up air isn't the max. When you fastfall the up air you lose more momentum.
After that, double jumping immidiatly and then fastfalling again is the best way to DI till the higgest percents.
Just tapping up air won't have alot of difference, it just fastens your way to the third fase of knockback, in wich you can jump and use any arial/b move.
In the second face, you can only us an arial. If you use an arial, you can get in the third fase easier. If you fastfall the arial, you will loose momentum as well.
And that part is only momentum canceling.
You might also wanna tell about basic DI, changing the angle of you knockback.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I think your DI section isn't described pretty good.
Just tapping up air isn't the max. When you fastfall the up air you lose more momentum.
After that, double jumping immidiatly and then fastfalling again is the best way to DI till the higgest percents.
Just tapping up air won't have alot of difference, it just fastens your way to the third fase of knockback, in wich you can jump and use any arial/b move.
In the second face, you can only us an arial. If you use an arial, you can get in the third fase easier. If you fastfall the arial, you will loose momentum as well.
And that part is only momentum canceling.
You might also wanna tell about basic DI, changing the angle of you knockback.
Personally, i'm not very intelligible when it comes to changing the angle of your knockback. The most i know is when you're going vertically, the best thing to do is to use C-stick and up aerial, followed by down aerial... correct? Also, hold te control stick Left or Right to cange te direction. And upwards diagonally for being shot off horizontally.

If you wanna add something feel free to throw it in here, so i can add it into the thread.

Also, NickRiddle,
I have a question. For recovering off of te edge. what's the best way ou've found to get back on the edge with ZSS? Like, when you're hanging. Against Diddy i've used the footstool to hop off is bananas (Which are usually at the edge).. but other than that i'm not sure what the best move choice is. I've been using footstool.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Also, NickRiddle,
I have a question. For recovering off of te edge. what's the best way ou've found to get back on the edge with ZSS? Like, when you're hanging. Against Diddy i've used the footstool to hop off is bananas (Which are usually at the edge).. but other than that i'm not sure what the best move choice is. I've been using footstool.
It's different for every situation.
If they're right next to you, try hitting them with an attack while you still have the few invulnerability frames from grabbing the ledge. Fair works for me a lot. Since I don't use it often, people forget it exists, and that it htis twice. Or, you can fall off up-air, since it's hitbox is pretty big.
If they're not right at the edge, just get on. Down-b, normal get on, roll, normal jump. It doesn't matter.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
It's different for every situation.
If they're right next to you, try hitting them with an attack while you still have the few invulnerability frames from grabbing the ledge. Fair works for me a lot. Since I don't use it often, people forget it exists, and that it htis twice. Or, you can fall off up-air, since it's hitbox is pretty big.
If they're not right at the edge, just get on. Down-b, normal get on, roll, normal jump. It doesn't matter.
Okay cool, thanks man. Do you have tips on fighting Falco's? I seem to have a huge problem with Falco's and i really dont feel like having to choose my Peach to play against falco because my ZSS can't do it... I get way stressed when it comes down to Falco..

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Okay cool, thanks man. Do you have tips on fighting Falco's? I seem to have a huge problem with Falco's and i really dont feel like having to choose my Peach to play against falco because my ZSS can't do it... I get way stressed when it comes down to Falco..
Play Pikachu.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Ok, there's a lot that I could say about this post. Let's cover the basics.

First of all, this post has nothing to do with footstools. It has a brief discussion of flipstooling (which is a ZSS-specific variation on her dspecial, which is distinct from footstooling), but other than that it's entirely about recovering. For the record, ZSS's dspecial is called Flip Jump, which is where the term flipstool originates.

Second, this post says nothing about DI. It has a section on secondary hitstun recovery (usually just called tumble recovery, since there's only a few frames difference between the two), and momentum canceling. DI is done as hitlag ends, and is used to alter your trajectory.

Third, well, just read Nick's post.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
I told about DI.
You should really read that guide, everything about DI you need to know is there.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I told about DI.
You should really read that guide, everything about DI you need to know is there.
Except nothing about DI is there. Worse, it calls things that are not DI, DI. That whole section could stand to be rewritten. I'm not even kidding.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Theres also a part about normal DI, the stuff youre talking about. It just comes pretty late.. =/
What you can do with normal DI, on the last frame of hitstun, you can change the angle your being send in. If you change the angle to the top left/right, your trajectery to the death zones will be longer and you'll live longer.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Theres also a part about normal DI, the stuff youre talking about. It just comes pretty late.. =/
What you can do with normal DI, on the last frame of hitstun, you can change the angle your being send in. If you change the angle to the top left/right, your trajectery to the death zones will be longer and you'll live longer.
I'm not an idiot. I'm aware of what DI is. That's what I've been talking about the entire time. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I never saw that section, even when it was supposedly there.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
I know. I'm just trying to make it clear to the owner of the topic.
I could swear it was their sorry =/

Top Bottom