• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Punish Smash Attack Spamming

P0LYG0N

Smash Rookie
Hi Guys!

First time posting, so please don't kill me if I'm doing something wrong!

I started following the competitive smash scene about a year ago and am currently a mediocre casual Falco main. I can do some basic stuff--short hop lasers, SHFFLs, wavedashes, and some lucky multishines here and there. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at piecing all of this together during actual battle, so I end up being a pretty scrubby player (if you have any advice on this that'd be appreciated too!)

In any case, I have a brother who plays Falco and Marth who knows a little more tech and has a little more experience than I do, but has taken to simply spamming f-smashes when he plays me. Frustratingly enough, it works most of the time because I don't know how to out-space/avoid/punish his fsmashes.

What can I do at my level/what should I learn to beat his fsmashes?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
I'm offering low level punishes because it sounds like you need a quick solution so you can get back to really trying to develop and play neutral.

Falco- 2 words. 1 tech. Shield grab. Hold the L or R button. Wait for his f-smash to hit shield. Press A. If done quickly enough (you should have plenty of time) you will immediately grab him. After that probably up thow into whatever you can follow with. Keep spamming shield grab until he starts mixing it up.

Marth- if he is close enough, then once again shield grab. If he's spacing his f-smash it becomes a bit more tricky. If you're quick you can run in and grab after he whiffs it (look up jump cancelled grab), but you risk eating a tipper trying to stay just outside of range. A SHFFLed N-air or d-air into shine should work after you shield it at range, but you'll need to be quick and it's more tech heavy. Dash attack might be fast enough but you'll only want to do it at mid-high % so you get a knock up and a chance to juggle with b-air. Finally, if you get solid with short hop lasers you can wait for the f-smash, short hop laser approach during his ending lag, and grab while he's recovering from laser hit. Make sure you learn to jump forward while laser is coming out without phantasming by mistake.

Hope that helps man. Shield grab is a noob killer so remember that when you play casuals/new players. Shield any poorly spaced attacked and you'll normally get a grab. Keep in mind this tech alone will not be a good defense when you get into mid-high level play.

Good luck!

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
Shield grabbing is a good option, as mdmfromdaridge said.

Another option is to dash in to bait the f smash, wavedash back to dodge it, and then punish, probably with a jump cancelled grab or doen/neutral air > shine

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Lasers also help a lot against fsmash spamming, just make sure you do it outside of Marth's range. Otherwise use shield or movement to avoid the move and then punish it.

As for piecing together everything, it just comes with experience.

JoeTango

It Takes Two
at low percents crouch cancel > shine > win

at high percents what everyone else said (I think dash dance is best option IMO)

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
How to deal with c-stick scrubs: an intuitive guide by pagedMov
Step 1. Run towards scrub
Step 2. Hold shield until they decide to c-stick at you
Step 3. Wavedash out of shield
Step 4. ???
Step 5. Profit!

Top Bottom