• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to properly fall onto a ledge?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Common tactic in Melee and Brawl where players would ledgehog another character and keep them from recovering properly. But I've always had problems with it.

I use Ike, so I don't know if that's a factor. But what happens is either I'll hold the opposite direction at the edge, which simply causes him to run the other way, or I'll fall through the ledge without ever grabbing it.

Basically, I'm looking for the tactic where someone grabs the ledge, I fall onto the ledge and grab it, and punish their recovery attempt from there. But I'm having no luck doing a falling ledgegrab as I keep falling through it. I hold Down, I hold Right/Left (whichever direction is towards the ledge, facing away), and I still can't get it properly.

Any tips on that?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Let go the stick.
If you press Down you just won't grab the ledge, but you can press Down to initiate the Fast Fall, let go of it, and then you'll grab the ledge (as long as you're not doing any other action).

Fauni

Smash Rookie
If you´re talking about ledge trumping (running to the ledge from the stage and grabbing it instantaneously) you can do that by running off and right that after you spin your stick 180° (→ ↓ ←) towards the ledge. If you time it correctly you should snap on to the ledge immediately. If you fail you just fastfall off so be ready to jump back if that happens. Also I´m not 100% sure if thats the "official" name of this but I´ve heard other people use it so...

Touchebag

Smash Cadet
If you´re talking about ledge trumping (running to the ledge from the stage and grabbing it instantaneously) you can do that by running off and right that after you spin your stick 180° (→ ↓ ←) towards the ledge. If you time it correctly you should snap on to the ledge immediately. If you fail you just fastfall off so be ready to jump back if that happens. Also I´m not 100% sure if thats the "official" name of this but I´ve heard other people use it so...
Trumping refers to the new mechanic in SSB4 when you push someone off of the edge by grabbing it after them.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Ah I see thanks for specifying. So does anyone know the term for the tech I described above?
It's the Brawl and Sm4sh version of ramen noodles. I'm sure it has a proper name, but in Melee and PM it's often called ramen noodles because it's near instant. In Sm4sh however you can actually use this technique to trump the ledge from somebody so you weren't far off.

Fauni

Smash Rookie
It's the Brawl and Sm4sh version of ramen noodles. I'm sure it has a proper name, but in Melee and PM it's often called ramen noodles because it's near instant. In Sm4sh however you can actually use this technique to trump the ledge from somebody so you weren't far off.
Oh yeah I forgot that this was in melee as well... Anyway I saw people doing this in matches and heard commentators talking about ledge trumping so I just assumed that it was the name of the tech and not the mechanic. Thanks for clearing this up!

Top Bottom