• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to prevent yourself from getting mindgamed.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Ok, I just asked myself something :p. How the **** do you prevent yourself from being mindgamed? ex. fox ditto fox tries to midgame the other fox. how would the second fox react to the first fox, since the gameplay is so fast. So I am just wondering. How do you prevent yourself from getting mindgamed?

Edit: Please don't flame. I am just wondering.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Mindgames are one of two things. Applying tech skill in an intelligent way (which would explain why you can't have one without the other) or faking out/giving pressure to lure into a trap/etc.

Everybody uses (the real meaning of) mindgames, because if not, they wouldn't be doing anything. They would be standing there, punching wildly. And even that is a mindgame in itself...randominity. Wow. Weird word.

Of course, there are tons of spinoff meanings of mindgames n00bs will say over and over again, and the way people apply it in odd manner (dood, didju see teh mindgames Da man had in tha part!? SHIZZY!!!1!!!1!).

Ending Comment: Mindgames=playing smart. <--period
So, to counter that, you play smart. Fake them out so they fail with their mindgames (the above definition(s) please) or just don't fall for them. Everything is situational.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Lol @ "how do I not get mindgamed...."

Use your mindgames ;)

Lmfao it would be better to explain specific situations instead or post a video and ask what you're doing wrong, because we don't know how the opponent is "Mindgaming" you. The only answer you can seriously recieve is to mindgame him back. And it's not even a serious answer.

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
Okay well say you know that your friend is going to run up to you and stop, wait for you to dodge and he'll take advantage of the fact you dodged for nothing. Instead of that, you just grab him or attack him as he runs up to you while he's waiting.

Basically when they try to put you in a position to their advantage, you should know how to read that and be able to make him think he's putting himself at an advantage when you're really just fooling him.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Just start thinking about the battle in the 2 seconds of leisure time you get after getting knocked away [you'll most likely lose that match, but win the next].

However, like another topic said, put it into your subconscious, so if another mindgame like that ever happens again, you'll know how to stop it the next time.

Usually, a trick will only work twice on me before I figure out its counter the third time.
First time, I usually don't pay attention to it, Its like any other random move.
Second time, I get annoyed, I think about it as the match continues [multitask].
Thrid time, I counter it, apply it to future matches, so it does not happen as often again.

However, this really only applies to friendlies, where there is less pressure [never been to tournaments before, so I can't say how hard it is there]. Also, some tricks are harder to beat or find than others, those you need to be careful of.

Often, in the past, I would try grabbing my brother, he spot-dodges, I sidestep, repeat, until he finally gets me. It always ended like this for me, mostly since either his char was faster, or he was faster. I never noticed this until after thinking for a while. Now I know that as soon as that happens, get the heck outta there, either through wavedash or jump.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
You have to set up a counter to his 'mindgames' before he uses them. Most of the time you can't do it just by reflexes.

pdk

Smash Lord
by playing conservatively

i win the thread, GG everyone

Red Exodus

Smash Master
By hitting your opponent with your controller till you knock him out?

I'm sorry but unless you think on your feet you will be 'mindgamed' [this mindgame thing is a bit out of control]. Just stay unpredictable and learn your opponents patterns.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Please, just let this topic die.
It's like these people are using mindgames on us with their mindgamez threads.

I lol'ed at the controller hitting thing :).

Red Exodus

Smash Master
This thread makes my head hurt, oh well, only 2 hours, 24 minutes and 48 seconds until the next mindgame thread.

Top Bottom