• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to practice for tournaments

Florian

Smash Rookie
Hi i'm Flo a dutch marth main.( sorry in advanced for my horrible grammer english is not my first language ) i will soon be entering my first tournament. But the problem is that i have no idea how to prepare myself, i know how to play the game and i know the tech skills and how to use them but the thing is i dont have someone to practice with. And its kinda hard for me to know what my skill is. Does anyone have any tips for me ? :)

FEOwain

Smash Apprentice
It's not exactly easy to set up, but I'm sure netplay will help. You just need a pretty good computer.
If you have friends that play, play with them as much as humanly possible. The more you play, the better you get.
https://www.smashladder.com/guides/view/25jx/melee/melee-netplay-guide <--- Netplay guide

When you can't play with your friends for whatever reason (they have plans for that day, out of town, etc.), practice your tech skill and movement. This video has 25 trials that are all good to practice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QalrnvAd2TM

If your computer can read SD cards/you have an SD card reader, 20XX is a godsend. Practice everything you can and use every feature that this brilliant mod has.

Well, I hope that helped. Sorry if there's anything you didn't understand.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
In tournaments friendlies often happen. You will be able to go against other players and know what your true skill is. If you ever struggle you can always ask advice and if you know what you are doing wrong then ask a specific question on what you were doing.

It is also really good practice too! If you can took notes from other players. They can teach you some tech that you may not know or use.

Last edited:

Florian

Smash Rookie
It's not exactly easy to set up, but I'm sure netplay will help. You just need a pretty good computer.
If you have friends that play, play with them as much as humanly possible. The more you play, the better you get.
https://www.smashladder.com/guides/view/25jx/melee/melee-netplay-guide <--- Netplay guide

When you can't play with your friends for whatever reason (they have plans for that day, out of town, etc.), practice your tech skill and movement. This video has 25 trials that are all good to practice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QalrnvAd2TM

If your computer can read SD cards/you have an SD card reader, 20XX is a godsend. Practice everything you can and use every feature that this brilliant mod has.

Well, I hope that helped. Sorry if there's anything you didn't understand.
thanks for your answer and tips i`ll try and find people who want to play netplay with me ( didnt know such a thing existed )

Florian

Smash Rookie
In tournaments friendlies often happen. You will be able to go against other players and know what your true skill is. If you ever struggle you can always ask advice and if you know what you are doing wrong then ask a specific question on what you were doing.

It is also really good practice too! If you can took notes from other players. They can teach you some tech that you may not know or use.
so when i go to a tournament there will be people who want to practice after you`ve competed?

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
so when i go to a tournament there will be people who want to practice after you`ve competed?
It mostly happens before the tournament starts the pool at least from my experience but it also happened during pools possibly because they completed their pool or have free time and a free setup available. Ask anyone around if they want to play friendlies and find a free setup and start playing. :)

Florian

Smash Rookie
It mostly happens before the tournament starts the pool at least from my experience but it also happened during pools possibly because they completed their pool or have free time and a free setup available. Ask anyone around if they want to play friendlies and find a free setup and start playing. :)
i did not know that ! thats a great way to try and improve i`ll try to do as most as possible thank you very much

Top Bottom