• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to play with Palutena

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
Usually I only play with characters I know from games I like, with some exceptions but yeah, I choose characters ecause I like the character, and don't really care about gamestyles except for G&W beacuse he is AWESOME!, but the thing is I been playing with Palutena in For Glory I won 9 of 10 matches with is good BUT, my problem is the only way I can beat people is dodging, spamming the b attack, and using d-smash and sometimes up smash, and that's it, heck even some of those people weren't good players and I hate spammers and people who just dodge to go to the edges and that stuff and I really whant to play better and do other stuff and feel that I'm winning because I'm really playing not just doing the same over and over, so guys I need tips please.

Edit: Oh and I use a lot of grabs but it's hard to use them to combo, I kind of suck with grabs

Last edited:

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Here's a random stream of consciousness that may or

Palutena plays like Ike but has excellent run speed and dodges. Her moves have killer start up lag though. It pays to play mind games with her, using her run speed to make opponents whiff and follow up with punishments. Make the enemy come to you, use you neutral B to pressure them into an approach.
Her tilts are amazing IF they land. Offstage her neutral A is killer and can sometimes stage spike. It seems to have priority over quite a few recoveries.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Look around a bit, Aerodrome's stickied thread has three analyses of her moveset, and there's a whole thread about d-throw followups as well.

Basically, dthrow is amazing for damage racking, followup with nair against heavies and fair against lightweights. I'm a big fan of her dash attack as a quick poke (you're immune to any attacks while she holds her shield in front), try to read your opponent and land kills with dthrow into usmash if they airdodge as a usual response or uair if you find they try to double jump away.

I like using up-b towards the stage (not edge!) a lot when im being juggled/edgeguarded/approached in an unfortunate way, just make sure not to use it until you've seen your opponent commit to something. And try to force your opponent to approach with neutral-b, or side-b if they have projectiles.

Also just try to avoid using her tilts if you're just getting started with her, hell I'm still not sure how to use them, her jab is usually a better option.

Other than that, just don't get discouraged when you lose a lot with her, remember that you're playing to learn, not to win. A stronger opponent is a perfect learning opportunity. :drflip:

Last edited:

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
Honest to god, jab is your best friend. It's got really good range and you can follow it up with a grab or sometimes even an fsmash.

dthrow into fair/nair is really good for racking up damage. uair can kill at 100%~ for a lot a characters (and it's really good because it's got some crazy priority). Other than that, I think Palutena is more reading-intensive than most. You gotta bait em, pressure em, and fake em out. Because your smashes and tilts have so much lag, you gotta make them count!

Last edited:
Top Bottom