• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to play VS Ice Climbers

ximrekcuf

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I main Young Link ofcourse, I would appriciate any ideas on how to play agaisnt my best friends ice climbers. I'm pretty proficient with Young link, and my friends is overall about twice as good as me at smash. *Slight overveiw of my play* I can L-cancel about 90% of the time (I mess up every so =/). I can platform dash and waveland pretty much at will, however I can only wavedash correctly about 50% of the time (when people pressure me with constant offense I tend to rush my wavedashing). I spam... I run... I spam... I play with the upmost aggressiveness when I see a player off the stage, often I overpurse off the stage and cannot get back(but I almost always kill the person off the stage when I do this)... That is the sum of my Yl play style. My friend can do all the advanced techniques at will, and he can infinite combo with IC's...

Just any suggestions on any stradegys to use, or moves that are very effective, combos that would work well, mabey a different style of play, anything.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I don't really have much IC exprience, but I always tend to do really well against them. Try not to over jump when edge guarding. Instead, spam from the ledge and when they come in close..try for a d-tilt spike. It should be easy if he is only recovering with one IC. For both, try to wait till he gets close to the ledge, then jump off and use n-air to knock him back. Return to the ledge and edge guard normally.
Don't forget. Young Link's f-tilt has pretty high knockback if it is sweetspotted at the tip(Think about Marth f-smash..but alot less range and knockback. Still effective though). So you can use that for edge guarding too if they are too high for d-tilt spike.
Also try stunning them with a projectile before jumping out to n-air them. Normally arrows work against most characters and bombs against all characters.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
If he knows how to infinite grab, stay far away and spam projectiles. All he has on you is the ice bergs, which goes under most projectiles.. so just fire an arrow onto the ground, the arrow will stop the ice bergs.

I was watching HDL's Link vs his friend's Ice Climber, and he uses the aerial hook shot a lot against the ice climbers.. True he uses a lot normally, but against the Ice Climbers seems efficient, cause it hits both the Ice Climbers, instead of just one. Even though it was Big Link, Young Link can do the same =] Nair does the same as well, but you gotta get closer, and the Ice Climbers could shield grab as well, going into an infinite.

Chip.

you know what to do
I have a lack of knowledge in fighting Ice Climbers, but I have fought them before.Hmm, I haven't heard of the hookshot trick, I'm sure that'll help. I say keep an arsenal of spaming equipment out onto the field. Can your friend 'desync' the IC? I'm also pretty sure that the infinite grab isn't allowed in any tournaments. Since IC are slow, watch closely for times when you can get a good d-smash, dash attack, space out projectiles so that they can protect you from their sliding ice bergs and still hit them. I say spaming will give them a hard time.

ximrekcuf

Smash Apprentice
Yah hes good at desync'ing or however it is spelt. Usually the only oppertunities for me to Dsmash are after a grab though.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Its Desynching I believe.
How do you dsmash out of grab on IC? They are pretty floaty..so they don't exactly fall fast at low % to do a d-smash like CF or Fox.
If anything, they should always normally DI out of your way and a u-air should work.

Dsmashing should not be forced in. Its actually pretty hard to get off d-smashes against really skilled people. You just simply have to draw them into a d-smash through mind games.
A good example is to force them to attack you instead of dash grabbing by constantly attacking them. Then while they are attacking, d-smash them out of their attack or shield grab into a d-smash during their lag.

ximrekcuf

Smash Apprentice
They usually fall enough, mind you usually (he might forget to DI sometimes, or just be taking it easy). It would be possible to d-throw, u-tilt, then uair maybe? But usually the only time I can grab anyway is when I knock away one ice climber because the other one always hits me. Also would you advise nair edge gaurd or dtilt/ftilt edge gaurding? I know earlier Laijin suggested both, but which "is/seems" more effective.

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
I suggest you just always have a bomb in hand or a boomerang in the air, so if you ever do get wobbled by this person it wont last forever... (btw... this guy ur playing sounds like a bit of a douche)

ximrekcuf

Smash Apprentice
Yes good sir, but you know very well I almost always never have a bomb in hand cause I like to throw them, and that my boomerang is always in the air.

Top Bottom