• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to play the neutral game?

Tectrix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tectrix
I've been maining Robin since about launch, and in the last few months I've picked up Ness as a secondary, and now onto full second main. I love how he handles, his air game, his combos, his unique tools. I've gotten a handle on how and when to use most of his moves, how his combos work, etc., but one thing that always throws me off is I have no clue how to play his neutral game. Against characters with overall weak neutral games I can obviously do fine, but against characters like Sheik, Luigi, and Pikachu, I have no idea how to get in on them if they're playing defensively(especially sheik). Since Ness is widely considered one of the best characters in the game, I figure he must have good tools for the neutral, and yet playing around with him and watching sets I just haven't gotten a handle on it. What am I missing?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Despite Ness being a good character, his neutral is what prevents him from being top 5 IMO. This is actually the hardest part of playing Ness (even more than recovery to me), and a lot of people fail to realize that Ness has this glaring flaw.

Ness doesn't have huge range aerials that are safe on landing (looking at you Sheik and ZSS). He's also got a really low dash speed, and no real projectile to cover himself with (PKF isn't a real projectile, it's a combo starting tool).

So the best you can do is adjust to your opponent and take advantage of the moves they don't have to help their neutral.

Ness' best defensive tool is nair. Use this on characters who like to take it to the air and outspeed/prioritize you. At best, you get a clean hit, at worst, you get a trade. Ness nair trades rather well and beats a surprising amount of stuff. If they're going super aggro, shielding into nair OoS is a great option. Sometimes, you just have to be okay with trading aerials instead of just outright beating the opponent. This thing also eats through a ton of projectiles like stun guns, Pikmin, and slingshots. Also use nair as a mixup if the opponent is spot dodging your grabs.

Fairs can sometimes work, but I feel like Ness players overrate it. It has a lot of range and priority, but just be careful not to trade or get hit out of it. It's not the fastest aerial, and it's incredibly weak, so if you trade with it, you lose.

Dash attack is an underrated neutral move IMO that can be useful when used in moderation. The range is really long, and against people who like to stick to the ground and fake you out, this can really catch them by surprise at times. It pops up opponents for juggles at lower percents, and sets up for reads at higher ones. It can also beat rolls due to its multiple hits. But remember, don't get predictable and obvious with it. Pull this out every now and then, but don't abuse it.

Bair has a surprising amount of pushback on shield (when sweetspotted), and really low landing lag, so this is the safest aerial against shields (technically uair has less landing lag, but bair pushes shields back more). I recommend using this on people who turtle a lot in their shields, and aren't fast enough to punish it when spaced well. Characters like Luigi and Robin will have a hard time punishing this. In the air, this move also has a good amount of priority, and hits like a truck.

Magnet into magnet cancels for obvious projectile users, easy enough.

Don't forget the basics too. Tomahawks and running into powershields will be useful for people who shield a lot or use projectiles to wall you out.

Lastly, I want to discuss a tech that I've been talking about with other Ness mains. SH air dodging into aerials is a neat little trick that can get you through attacks, and punish them during the end lag. Ness' air dodge ends right before he touches the ground, giving you just enough time to nair or uair before landing (I recommend uair). You can use this to charge right into attacks and the retaliate. Just make sure you air dodge right at the start of the SH. And as usual, it's still punishable, so use it wisely.

Tectrix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tectrix
Thank you very much for the detailed writeup, this is really helpful!

Last edited:

Asa

Smash Hero
Dair-cancelled Fullhop pkf is a good punish for a situation where someone is throwing out a projectile , like TL arrow or Megaman saw blade

Noa.

Smash Master
I started playing a lot better in neutral after I saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw2gKp13crs&ab_channel=VersusGaming

I've watched it like four times.

Ness's aerials are his strongest tools in the neutral game. Mostly nair, fair, and uair. These are all very potent tools that you need to learn how to use. Generally speaking Ness's aerials are punishable if you land with them. But notice how Shaky does rising aerials and spaces them very well. I recommend using the c stick to perform aerials so that you can have complete control over your momentum. Ness's aerials are his best asset and you must learn how to use them to be successful with him.

Ness's dash attack is a great option when your opponent commits to any ground option that is not shielding. It also captures landings really well. If you're opponent is jumping around a lot though it is not such a good tool because it the hitbox does not go very high.

Dash grab whenever you condition your opponents to shield. Keep hitting your opponent's shield with aerials, and then just do a tomahawk (short hop where you do nothing) into a grab. Grabbing is incredibly important for Ness because it's how he takes control of the match. He has one of the best grab games in the game. Dthrow combos into aerials until like 50 or 60 for most characters, and at later percents you can fthrow to throw them offstage and harass them with pk thunder.

Jab is an ok option in close quarters or if your opponent is going for a grab. It also eats spot dodges. Just don't forget about it because it's useful.

Other important options out of aerials that @ Earthbound360 Earthbound360 mentioned like short hop air dodge into nair or a double nair are really useful. You can do two nairs in one short hop, and can fit a nair after an air dodge in a short hop. Really useful options.

These are Ness's most important tools in the neutral.

Top Bottom