• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to play Super Smash Flash 2 with a GameCube Controller (WITH DASH FIX)

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I'm going to divide this tutorial into two sections (simple and advanced).

Simple (For the Lazy)
Things You'll Need:
-A Windows PC (sorry Mac and Linux users)
-Mayflash Adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089NVTDM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
-An offline copy of Super Smash Flash - (http://www.mcleodgaming.com/downloads/SSF2DemoV0_9.zip)
-Joy2Key (http://www.mediafire.com/download/ld36p5hex4efbpd/JoyToKey_en_SSF2_ready.zip)
NOTE: This includes a .cfg file (configuration file) and save data.​

The Steps:
1. Plug your Mayflash Adapter and let the drivers install.
2. Download the files above if you haven't already.
3. Extract the folders (right-click > extract all) and put them somewhere accessible.4. Run Joy2Key.exe and Click "OK" to the message that pops up.
Joystick 1 and Joystick 2 should be colored if your computer recognized your adapter.​
5. Run SSF2.exe.
6. Using your mouse Press Start > Data
7. Uncheck Records and Unlocks. (You can also uncheck Options is you wish).

8. Press Import.
9. Navigate to the Tournament Settings.ssfsav file and press save.
10. Play

Advanced (with Pictures)
Things You'll Need:
-A Windows PC (sorry Mac and Linux users)
-Mayflash Adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089NVTDM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
-An offline copy of Super Smash Flash 2 ((http://www.mcleodgaming.com/downloads/SSF2DemoV0_9.zip)
-Joy2Key (http://joytokey.net/download/JoyToKey_en.zip)

Getting Started:
1. Plug your Mayflash Adapter and let the drivers install.
2. Download the files above if you haven't already.
3. Extract the folders (right-click > extract all) and put them somewhere accessible.

Mapping the Buttons:
Joy2Key works by turning a button input into a keyboard key. This gives us the chance to play flash games that don't support joysticks natively with joysticks. Because the controls can be changed in game it doesn't matter what keyboard keys we map the buttons to.

Initially, I mapped the buttons just like I would in any other flash game but I had a problem with dashing vs walking. We all know that if you slam the joystick left or right you dash. So this was my solution.

1. Run Joy2Key.exe and Click "OK" to the message that pops up.
Joystick 1 and Joystick 2 should be colored if your computer recognized your adapter.​
2. Right-click (Stick1: <----) > Edit button assignment

3. Click "Keyboard 2"

SSF2 include the option of using a button to dash. For example, if you were holding down the right arrow key, you would walk but if you held down both the right arrow key and left shift, you'd dash. Because the dash button is used when pressing the left or right arrow key, remember the keyboard key you use for dash.

4. Pick your left key and put it in the top "1" box and "2" box. Then pick your dash key in put it in the second "2" box.
(

In this example I use "1" as my dash key and "2" as my left key.
5. Check the "Switch depending on analog level" radio button and then Press OK.

6. You'll do something similar for the (Stick1: ---->) except instead of "2" for left, I use "3" for right. Notice "1" is still in the same box.

7. Bulk Assign the rest of them by pressing the "bulk assing key." Just make sure to skip POV (d-pad) Left, Down, and Right along with Button 9 as they won't be used by pressing the skip button. I just press the keys in order except shift, control, alt, and the windows button.

Bulk Assignment

Result
8. Repeat the above for joystick two.

Setting the Controls into Super Smash Flash 2:
1.Open Super Smash Flash 2
2. Using your mouse press Start > Options > Controls
3. Uncheck Autodash and D-Tap to dash.
4. You should set the Dash, Right, and Left Buttons right away with the keyboard. After that, you can just use the GameCube controller to set the rest. (Taunt is up on the dpad).
5. Repeat for P2.

AND YOU'RE DONE.

EDIT: Fixed Small Control Issue just in Time For v.9B

Last edited:

Tetheta

Smash Cadet
No idea why this hasn't gotten more attention, hopefully it will when 9b comes out (somehow I only just now heard about this game through a Polygon article). Worked perfectly for me but for some reason I had to manually set cstick down and right to the correct inputs after I imported the tournament settings. Right c-stick was assigned to the down actual input and down wasn't assigned at all. Easy fix but was a bit odd. Nice job finding a fix for the dashing, really seems to work perfectly many thanks!

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
No idea why this hasn't gotten more attention, hopefully it will when 9b comes out (somehow I only just now heard about this game through a Polygon article). Worked perfectly for me but for some reason I had to manually set cstick down and right to the correct inputs after I imported the tournament settings. Right c-stick was assigned to the down actual input and down wasn't assigned at all. Easy fix but was a bit odd. Nice job finding a fix for the dashing, really seems to work perfectly many thanks!
Thanks for bringing it to my attention! I'll upload the fix!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Oh, thank you. I had no idea this was even possible with JoyToKey...

Yori

Banned via Warnings
I'm having this problem too, but do I need to adjust settings in-game or in the tool?

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I'm having this problem too, but do I need to adjust settings in-game or in the tool?
I thought I uploaded a fix, I might have uploaded the wrong folder. Just change it in options > controls. I'll be on vacation for the the next week so for now everyone will have to make the change manually. I apologize.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Mostly the tool, but it would be a good idea to edit the in-game controls, too, as there's no (separate) Jump button, Dash button, or C-stick command keys by default. Also, it's near-impossible to use up-tilts if Tap Jump is turned on (which it is by default).

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Mostly the tool, but it would be a good idea to edit the in-game controls, too, as there's no (separate) Jump button, Dash button, or C-stick command keys by default. Also, it's near-impossible to use up-tilts if Tap Jump is turned on (which it is by default).
Look at the advanced post...

Edit: namely the Setting the Controls in SSF2 section

Last edited:

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
I did the advance setup and I got everything but the dash. I don't know what button I am suppose to assign to that and I read all the directions you wrote. Help please.

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
Thanks for posting this tutorial, I had been wondering how to get the dashing working correctly.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I dont know where to register my L and R buttons, when i press them it doesn't highlight in joy2key, also the analog controls are too stiff or they dont respond at times, any help with this?

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
everytime i try to download the mediafire file with the SSF2 data inside, it freezes midway and i have to start over. I know it is probably a problem on my end or the site's end but is anyone having any trouble with this?

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
Can I do this with an XBox controller? I don't have a Mayflash adapter.

EDIT: It does, but the analog stick is awkward, the B button attacks, X is Special, and A and Y jump.

Last edited:

meatcoffee

Smash Rookie
I'm using a wii u adapter but i got it to work with joy to key and left and right on the analog stick only move one unit. Any way to fix that?

*Edit It works on all tilts but if i push all the way it only moves as if i pressed d or a

Last edited:

dat boy go hard

Smash Rookie
I extract the SSF2 zip and SSF2.exe keeps dissapearing in my folder as soon as it is extracted. Am I doing something wrong?

D

Deleted member

I could've sworn there was an option in the game itself to do this. Maybe I'm thinking of an earlier build...

Eren Swaeger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mechs246
3DS FC
0533-6950-4814
I sadly walked back downstairs and put my smash 4 gamecube controller back when I needed a mayflash one...

JayDex

Smash Rookie
NNID
CreeperMagnet909
The media fire link for the simple set up isn't working anymore? Could you please fix it? Thank in advance.

AndyT0073

Smash Cadet
I'm assuming the following steps are what allows smash flash to use the mayflash adapter or joy2con and that they are necessary although they were excluded from the advanced tutorial?

7. Uncheck Records and Unlocks. (You can also uncheck Options is you wish).
8. Press Import.
9. Navigate to the Tournament Settings.ssfsav file and press save.
10. Play

My problem is I dont know where or what the "Tournament Settings.ssfsav file" is and when i search for it I can't find it. Help appreciated!!!

HelpMe

Smash Rookie
Hey, Joy2Key is not registering my Wii U adapter. I used Zadig before for Dolphin, if that is helps.

nickultra

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know how to make the R and L triggers not have to be pressed down all the way to register.

nickultra

Smash Cadet
I'm having an issue wherein Joy2Key is not recognizing analog levels on my left in right trigger. Which in turn is making me need to hold a trigger all the way down to shield, which in turn sucks. Can anyone help?

EDIT:
Sorry for double post I actually didn't realize i'd already asked this question.

Last edited:

SmashPro32

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4872-0139-5121
I managed to get this to work on Mac. I just downloaded the game, got the adapter*, plugged it in** (*, **: that step didnt apply for me), plugged the controller in, and set controls.

Top Bottom