• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to play Pikachu competitively?

Emernator

Smash Rookie
NNID
Emersonite
3DS FC
3995-7636-4419
I'm actually pretty good with this character, both my favorite and smooth to play for me. I was just wondering if there were any strategies someone could mind sharing with me. I'm still trying to get better with attacking in mid-air and dunking the other players, also my first post here!

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Step One: Watch ESAM's Pikachu
Step Two: Find out what the heck he's doing
Step Three: Imitate until you find your own playstyle

Angiance

Smash Lord
His tail attacks, use them for stage control and frame traps

N.Air can create good frame traps as well, if you aim for the end of the attack instead of the beginning-this is monstrous offstage because it covers a very large area, and even if the opponent airdodges we can hit them out of their airdodge

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
If you read the entire Q&A and MU thread, you question will be answered.

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
Step One: Watch ESAM's Pikachu
Step Two: Find out what the heck he's doing
Step Three: Imitate until you find your own playstyle
He barely goes to tournaments anymore! Either that or I can't find videos any of his recent matches. Where should I look?

MeteorD

Smash Rookie
He barely goes to tournaments anymore! Either that or I can't find videos any of his recent matches. Where should I look?
It probably doesn't matter if he's attended any tournament recently, because the way he plays would still be fundamentally the same. Just search SSB4 Esam, comes up with enough results for more than a few hours worth of matches

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
It probably doesn't matter if he's attended any tournament recently, because the way he plays would still be fundamentally the same. Just search SSB4 Esam, comes up with enough results for more than a few hours worth of matches
I know what you mean, and yes ESAM was still really good back then. However, those matches are from January in KiT 15. That was 4 months ago. Now normally that wouldn't matter if a game has been going on for a long time like melee or brawl, however, Smash 4 is very new and everyone's play style is constantly changing. While those videos do show good showing of Pika's powers, I feel like more recent videos would be better to watch. Such as that tournament where he won vs (forgot who) with that Jank custom skull bash, where do I find that?

(And before you ask, yes I've seen all of those games)

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I know what you mean, and yes ESAM was still really good back then. However, those matches are from January in KiT 15. That was 4 months ago. Now normally that wouldn't matter if a game has been going on for a long time like melee or brawl, however, Smash 4 is very new and everyone's play style is constantly changing. While those videos do show good showing of Pika's powers, I feel like more recent videos would be better to watch. Such as that tournament where he won vs (forgot who) with that Jank custom skull bash, where do I find that?

Its more even in an ever changing Meta this is STILL the best Pikachu play you can find in video format

Megamang

Smash Lord
Its more even in an ever changing Meta this is STILL the best Pikachu play you can find in video format

Which speaks highly of his skill, but I still would like some recent videos so I don't feel I'm using outdated information. I know the fundamentals still apply, and I have learned a lot from watching them.

@ Ritronaut Ritronaut you should check out the video thread at the top of the page, its got some recent matches with high level pika play.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11

The set you are talking about here is against MVD, and can be found on the Versus Gaming youtube channel. The channel does contain quite a few videos of ESAM's pikachu, but there hasn't been any new ESAM videos in a while to my knowledge

Top Bottom