• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to play Link Video Project

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
How to play Link Video Project

I've talked about this enough, it's time to get to work on this project to help people learn Link.

You know how some people have trouble working with text, it's good to tell people what to do, but if you don't show it, how are people going to learn how to use it or apply it? How about Link's moves and correct ways to use them? This is what this project aim's to do. To let Link players new and even old learn somethings about Link that they didn't know before.

All videos are going to be put on a new Youtube account I will make, I'll hand out the password to trustworthy people who will upload and tinker with the account when needed.

Here is a summary of what is going to happen.

Step 1: Working an Outline

First we need to step-up what exactly these videos will have and the format of what the videos will contain. We need to go in order of basic to complex information to ensure we get the basic information down first, like baby steps to someone who is new to using Link.

From there was can work on AT's, match-up, stages or anything else that needs to be covered.

Step 2: Making the Videos

We need to make sure people understand what is going on in the videos, so we need people who are either good at understanding Link or know how to play Link well enough to produce and shoot the videos for each step we will make. Frame data and hitbubbles might need work or someone who knows about that stuff

Step 3: Video Editting

We can show it, but sometimes text with a video is even more helpful for someone watching the video so they get a general idea od exactly why people did what they did and how they can apply it. This can also entail placing a picture or an edited in video of a gamecube control on the screen to show the basic inputs of what is needed to be done to use techs and other information.

Step 4: Uploading the Videos

Basically we upload the videos each step of the way as we finish it up. Anyone who uploads needs to be able to work youtube effectively and manage the account.

Step 5: Work on the next video

One we finish one video we will work on the next one, we continue this until we feel like we have finished the project, what ever we all decide it done and finished.

~

That is the basic jist of what this project will be entailing.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Possibly for some of the harder ATs you also do a slow motion with controller view next to it.

Or possibly use a different method. Here's my idea. (Kinda hard to explain)
-Using comp generated image of buttons in roughly the correct area for a gcube controller, but not trying to make it 3D.
-Each button starts off semi transparent.
-To indicate buttons pressed it could go opaque
-Shoot video in a standard definition and then put the video next to this image, using wide screen.
-Buttons can be shown perfect sync with the video in slow motion so its easier to follow.

This way will definitely make it alot easier to learn how to do the ATs. There are some people who show the controller but its hard to tell what their fingers are actually doing. The ones with the just the descriptions are hard to figure out the timing. Ideally, this is the best of both worlds.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
YAAAAY IT'S UP

Dunno how much I'd be able to help though, ha. I have zero video editing skills. I couldn't record myself doing techniques either since my control scheme is so messed up (zair is for chumps. Xair = amazing. Thunderstomping or whatever it's called for Ganon = easiest AT in the game. UpB OoS is tricky but doable. Uair strings with MK are insanely hard to time correctly)

I could....help with an outline???

Ryos4

Smash Lord
if you want to end up doing it the way i suggest, i might be able to do all of the controller images on photoshop. This coming week is going to be a little crazy for me and possibly after that. Im trying to find a place to live. lol.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
if you want to end up doing it the way i suggest, i might be able to do all of the controller images on photoshop. This coming week is going to be a little crazy for me and possibly after that. Im trying to find a place to live. lol.
Don't worry, we're not gonna start immediate video stuff quite yet, we need to lay down what we arr offically doing first.

@Huggles: Maybe Scabe could help with replays.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Sounds good, how does basic move set sound for Link, or if we did what would we be looking for in showing people?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm still serious about this so, if people do have ideas for this in terms of getting a layout for each move I'm open to ideas.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
After reading through and stuff, I'm still not entirely sure what kind of input you were after before you started this project and actually started making the vids. Are you wanting to know what content should be in the videos in what order? Is that what you mean by getting a layout for each move? Presuming this is so, I'll start the feedback cause I'd like to see this project get off the ground.

Alright, so we should probably have every single move listed which I'll do in a sec. What we could do is have a separate vid for each move. For the moves that have less to show and talk about, we could combine them. Or, if you wanted to group them, you could do tilts in one vid, smashes in another, specials in another, something like that.

You start off by showing the move in normal mode and then with hitbubbles turned on. Talk about the move including info like frame data but also have a personal touch to it, then show basic uses for it and how it is best used in certain situations/matchups/in conjunction with other moves, and once that is covered you can show any advanced uses of the move. It's too simple. The vids will show anything and everything we know about Link's moveset, kinda like the moveset analysis in my Toon guide only instead of just talking about it, you'll be demonstrating it as well. Then with the harder to perform things at the end of the move, i.e. the more advanced uses, you will show what the tech looks like, then you can slow things down and show when to input what, and then show real life situations where the tech can be used.

I think it should all be self evident once you get things going. Of course, you may want to ask for input on specific moves.

Here's a quick list of Link's moveset so you don't forget anything...

-Jab
-Dash Attack
-F-tilt
-U-tilt
-D-tilt
-F-smash
-U-smash
-D-smash
-Nair
-Fair
-Bair
-Uair
-Dair
-Zair
-Neutral B: Arrows
-Side B: Boomerang
-Down B: Bombs
-Up B: Spin Attack Grounded
-Up B: Spin Attack Aerial
-Grab
-Pummel?
-Down throw
-Back throw
-Forward throw
-Up throw
-Ledge Attack < 100%
-Ledge Attack > 100%
-Get up attack
Did you want airdodge, sidestep, forward and back roll?

But yeah, there's some general input. If you want any specific input, then just ask.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Yeah, the input I wanted to ask was what you assumed.

I'd like to start with jab but I'm not sure if we should add things like jab cancels and stuff or make that a follow up vid.

Xcallion

Smash Ace
I approve of the idea. as a newbie link i really hope that this will help :)

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Nah man, if you do a vid of Jab, have everything that we know about Jab in it. That means everything, including Jab cancels and locks. Just have the stuff that you think is too complicated for new guys at the end of the vid. Start with the basics, then work it up from there, but don't leave anything out. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of a vid-guide imo.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Nah man, if you do a vid of Jab, have everything that we know about Jab in it. That means everything, including Jab cancels and locks. Just have the stuff that you think is too complicated for new guys at the end of the vid. Start with the basics, then work it up from there, but don't leave anything out. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of a vid-guide imo.
I approve of this.

Alright, so the order is like as follows.

Jab1>Jab2>Jab3, with frame data hitbubbles and %.

From there we show each jab cancel that is possible.

I'm not sure about jab locks though, I feel as though it should be a different vid showing how to set them up and then how to perform them. Otherwise we would explain it and people might not know how to get them into a jab lock, unless we maybe put a link to the jab lock there if we did.

Still I am open to ideas so maybe if we go with the jab locks we should put a link on the vid right to the jab lock vid.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
How long did you want the vids to go for and how long do you think what you have planned is gonna go for? Cause I can see what your planning, showing the move in different ways and showing the cancels, only going for a minute or two. Is it going to involve talking about the move? Like sure you'll give frame data, but what does that mean practically, you know, so you might say stuff like, it's a quick move, pull it out in these situations, so on. I'm being purposefully vague, but I think you get it right? I just want to make sure there'll be some substance to these vids as well as showing things.
And is there going to be anything in these early vids for the veteran or the mid level Link players? Or is your plan to have seperate vids for each stage in development, one for the noobies, one for the mid levels, one for the veterans. That's why I think you should just have the one vid for all. Will it really matter if there is presupposed knowledge during the last part of the vids? Knowledge that can be aquired in other vids perhaps? If you don't feel like explaining everything, for example explaining jab locks, and you just want to show it, can you just link people to somewhere they can find this knowledge? I personally would probably explain it all myself in the vid before showing it, but maybe you didn't think it would fit. So again it comes down to how long you want them.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
The vids can go as long as needed, about 3-4 minutes is what I was aiming for for complicated ones, can go longer if needed.

I was thinking about text on the video to describe it over voice work. Frame data will be a speed reference to help people know how fast his moves are, more or less.

Like Jab is one of Link's fastest moves because it comes out frame 6.

Veterans can learn stuff from the later vids I'd like to focus on the basic stuff and work our way up the ladder to technical things.

For knowledge basis I would link to another vid explaining it more in depth or text for something a vid can't explain, or maybe for something if people wanted to look up for information about it than what the vids show.

I'm liking these questions, they are helping with setting up a format more clearly than what I said initially.

Top Bottom