• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to play against floaties?

cod3kill

Smash Cadet
I find myself really relying on Mario's strong combo game and more guaranteed kill set ups, like down throw to fair, but I can't really do that to characters that are more floaty, such as Luigi, or Zelda, I also have a more difficult time comboing these characters because they can escape combos a lot easier. How should I approach playing against floaties?

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
Playing floaties isn't about stringing long combos together, so you'll have to focus on baiting, punishing, and spacing. In the neutral game, throwing out an aerial is usually safe. Down throw, utilt, uair is your best option out of grab for stringing damage. Also, fireballs are really good. If you set up the wall, they usually have a hard time approaching.

For killing floaties, Mario has good options. F smash, nair, and fair (especially down throw fair) are very useful. Part of what may make down throw fair hard for you is that it kills much earlier (in the 70-80s on puff), and do it a lot. Probably your best option .

Edge guarding them is probably the most difficult part of fighting them. I wouldn't really challenge them off the ledge. Spam fireballs, and bait and punish.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Space and Fireballs mainly.

You will not be able to do many chains or combos on floaties so truthfully you want to out space them and go for the whiff punishes.

In the rare occasion you can get them to use their double jump and you get a successful UAir or UTilt, capatilize with as much damage as possible, as they will not be able to jump out of your combos or strings, which gives mario the hardest time when dealing with floaties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mzv9CoLrrw Here's a video that can show you better than I can tell you. Hope it helps.

Top Bottom