• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to play a 4 man smash

Spiny Top

Smash Cadet
I want to start a conversation about how to play a 4 player smash, my credentials being a 6.7 mil GSP player who wins about 50% of them.

First let’s talk about the mentality and strategy that goes into it.

Number one rule, if you see two players fighting, LET THEM. Don’t interrupt. There is no point to interrupting, unless the match doesn’t have a stock count (time battle) in which case kills are important. More on that later, for now we are assuming the game is a stock battle.

Let them fight, don’t interrupt and draw attention and take unnecessary hits. Them beating each other up helps you get ahead. Instead, turn your attention to the 4th player in the game. What’s he doing? Camping? That’s your true enemy. Pick a fight with him, don’t let him camp.

Ideally you want to knockback him into the other 2 players that are fighting. This creates the best case scenario where 3 players are chaotically fighting while you pull ahead watching.

In order to fully capitalize, aggressively space out anyone trying to push through you- the goal is to knock them back into the fray and maintain your advantageous position at all costs. Conversely, if you are one of the 3 players forced to brawl, remember the guy watching is your true enemy. Either break off to battle him if you get the chance, or knockback someone into his area so now he has a distraction to deal with. Better yet, knockback the other guy that way too so now you are the one capitalizing on the advantaged position.

You are seeing the essence of the game here? Try to knockback opponents into each other, prompting them to fight, carving room for you to space out the mob.

Eventually the game will devolve into a 3 player smash after someone is eliminated, which is essentially a game of monkey in the middle. Fight to not be the monkey, and to in turn harass and space whoever is. Try to knockback the monkey into the other opponent.

Finally, the game turns into a simple 1v1 to determine a victor.

I mentioned that 4 player timed battles are a little different. They are, because they never devolve obviously, and getting kills matters.

Treat these games essentially like you would a 4 player stock battle, with one important difference- monitor each enemy’s percentage and get aggressive with high percentage targets. Try to steal that kill. Naturally this makes for a more chaotic game as you will be breaking your spacing to chase vulnerable targets. So be it, you need those kills.

Thanks for reading, hope this helps.

Your turn! Teach me something I’m missing or doing wrong here!

Last edited:
Top Bottom