• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Perform U-tilt?

aquaticpineapples

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I'm new here and my question might seem a little stupid, but do you perform a U-tilt on the Wii U gamepad? If I tilt up and press A at the same time I end up doing an up smash, and if I tilt up first and press A I go into the air and do an aerial. Really confused here...

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Okay, I'm new here and my question might seem a little stupid, but do you perform a U-tilt on the Wii U gamepad? If I tilt up and press A at the same time I end up doing an up smash, and if I tilt up first and press A I go into the air and do an aerial. Really confused here...
You literally gotta push it up slightly then press a. You are pushing the control stick too far up, that's why its doing a smash attack. Although the easier option would be just to switch off tap jump....

TheGamerKidTy

Smash Cadet
Try not to push the L-stick up all the way. See if that works.

Alternatively, you could disable the jumping w/ the L-stick in the controls, if you want. But that's up to you.

Edit:
You literally gotta push it up slightly then press a. You are pushing the control stick too far up, that's why its doing a smash attack. Although the easier option would be just to switch off tap jump....
He explained much better than I did

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Turn off tap jump in the control options. Your attacks are more manageable as long as you stick to X and Y for jumping.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Welcome welcome!

Here are all the ways I personally know how to perform an Up-tilt in Smash4:
  • Recommended if you plan on getting into 64 or Melee IE, the old school way: Slightly tilt the stick upwards so you do not register a jump (a jump is registered if the stick goes up a certain distance at a certain speed) and press the A button.
  • Tap-Jump off: Turning tap jump off in controls will make it so you won't jump when flicking the stick up. This doesn't mean you can flick up and press A since this will register a smash attack if you flick Up and A too close together. With this option you can simply hold up, wait a small moment so you don't register a smash attack, and then press A.
  • C-stick set to Attack (not Smash Attack which is default): If you setup your controller like this then you can perform an up tilt by simply flicking the C-stick upwards. Simple! Oh, but you will lose the ability to perform smash attacks with the C-stick if you are okay with that.
All 3 ways are perfectly fine when performing Up-tilts. It is your preference.

Last edited:

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
Turn off tap jump in the control options. Your attacks are more manageable as long as you stick to X and Y for jumping.
I honestly cannot play without tap-jump. It screws me up so bad, I find it hard to even concentrate.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I'd recommend turning off tap jump in your controls and use a different button to jump. Any tilt attack is done simply by tilting the stick slightly, a smash attack means you've done it too quickly. If you cannot live without tap jump then the next best thing would be to change your C-stick from smash to attack.

Last edited:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I strongly advise against turning off tap jump. Most Out-of-shields and other jump cancel inputs are more easier using tap jump. At the very least you will gain mastery of the d-stick.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I strongly advise against turning off tap jump. Most Out-of-shields and other jump cancel inputs are more easier using tap jump. At the very least you will gain mastery of the d-stick.
It's player preference really. If this is on the game pad, then rolling/sliding the tip of the thumb from x/y to a/b feels a lot more easier to complete OoS and JC inputs over using tap jump. Experiment with what controls makes you feel the most comfortable when playing.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Just what exactly is tap jump because I keep hearing about it?
Tap jump is a control option by default which allows to jump by tapping the control stick up. You have the option to turn it off in Controller options as many people alternatively use the X and Y buttons.

Morbi

Scavenger
I just wanted to point out that your control stick position is irrelevant. You can push your control stick as far (or little) upwards as you want to and you will still get a tilt or a smash. A smash comes out when you hit the stick upwards and the attack button at the same time, a tilt comes out if you are already holding up when you input the attack.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I just wanted to point out that your control stick position is irrelevant. You can push your control stick as far (or little) upwards as you want to and you will still get a tilt or a smash. A smash comes out when you hit the stick upwards and the attack button at the same time, a tilt comes out if you are already holding up when you input the attack.
There was no need to point that out. I was saying how I personally do up tilts that's all. I already know about what was just said above.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
There was no need to point that out. I was saying how I personally do up tilts that's all. I already know about what was just said above.
I believe he was saying that to let the OP know in case they did not know. Even my explanation has holes if you are reading it and have no idea what an Up-tilt even is.

Edit: For example I didn't even mention you can do an up-tilt if you're already holding up, like if you finished a jab and you hold up during your jab.

Last edited:

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Well, it was an obvious misinterpretation on quilts part then, since I never said it HAD to be done that way.
Quilts is correct. Morbid was trying to give exact specifics of the command while you gave your personal way of doing up-tilts. No one is wrong in those statements at all. Quilts was not trying to be offensive to you if that's what you were misinterpreting.

You said "You literally gotta push it up slightly then press a" which is one way to do it. Seems Roukiske has provided multiple ways to do it. Morbid added something that wasn't said.

No harm intended or anything I just think no one here was arguing anything is all.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Quilts is correct. Morbid was trying to give exact specifics of the command while you gave your personal way of doing up-tilts. No one is wrong in those statements at all. Quilts was not trying to be offensive to you if that's what you were misinterpreting.

You said "You literally gotta push it up slightly then press a" which is one way to do it. Seems Roukiske has provided multiple ways to do it. Morbid added something that wasn't said.

No harm intended or anything I just think no one here was arguing anything is all.
Oh ffs, I already know, I already get it, why did you bother replying?

Last edited:
Top Bottom