• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to perform b-air fast fall correctly?

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
hey guys would anyone like to shine some light on how to do this technique properly, for edge gaurding.

an example would start at 1:21 of a youtube video called "Incredible" : A Pikachu Combo Video - by Latzo

(sorry new account and cant post links yet)

ive been practicing on cpus and i cant seem to get it. the cpu usually escapes during the moment i fastfall and i fail to drag them down, so is my timing off or something?

pudding7100

Smash Rookie
NNID
pudding7100
I think in a update they made it harder to drag people down without them escaping. What I usually try to do is b-air them and push the control stick to the opposite side of the stage this makes it so the player will bounce off the stage and die. However there is a way the opponent will not die; if they tech the wall they will actually live, but if you aren't playing a good player it won't really matter.

Last edited:

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
with lack of SDI in this game bair cannot be escaped really. the easiest way to do it is run offstage when they are trying to recover and press towards the stage on the c stick. After that just move pikachu towards the stage so its more likely they will get a weird angle and have trouble teching it.

when you start bair it will jettison them out on the side that is opposite of you, so if you want a stage spike just run offstage, make sure they are in between the stage and you, and press towards the stage with the c stick. Do not fast fall this move, you will very likely SD. Hope that was helpful :3

pudding7100

Smash Rookie
NNID
pudding7100
with lack of SDI in this game bair cannot be escaped really. the easiest way to do it is run offstage when they are trying to recover and press towards the stage on the c stick. After that just move pikachu towards the stage so its more likely they will get a weird angle and have trouble teching it.

when you start bair it will jettison them out on the side that is opposite of you, so if you want a stage spike just run offstage, make sure they are in between the stage and you, and press towards the stage with the c stick. Do not fast fall this move, you will very likely SD. Hope that was helpful :3
does this send opponents downwards?

if not im seeing with your way and mine is stages like kalos pokemon stadium. The sides are flat so the opponent will just hit off the wall and unless at like 200% will probably live and wont even need to tech.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Bair will drag down with you regardless, all you have to do is hit them with it and it cannot be SDI'd. If you ff it you risk sd'ing so the best way to use it is run off stage and bair without ffing or quick attack ledge cancel to bair.

Stages with flat walls like omega Kalos for ex you wouldn't want to move towards the stage when bair connects, but really it doesn't matter there since the point of bair spike is to make them bounce off stages with corners

Last edited:

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
Bair will drag down with you regardless, all you have to do is hit them with it and it cannot be SDI'd. If you ff it you risk sd'ing so the best way to use it is run off stage and bair without ffing or quick attack ledge cancel to bair.

Stages with flat walls like omega Kalos for ex you wouldn't want to move towards the stage when bair connects, but really it doesn't matter there since the point of bair spike is to make them bounce off stages with corners
true but usually what i did in training mode was save one jump, use it after b-air was done and angle quick attack upwards left then right. true their is a chance that you could sd, but pulling of this move would be super rewarding. if you look at the video i mentioned, Latzo seems to drag his opponents far below the stage, sometimes out of sight and recovers. i just wanted to know if i was doing it wrong,, or if i could just do it at all because pudding7100 says b-airs property's changed in the latest patch. also, not sure if it was just because i was in training mode plus the cpu's instant reactions, but whenever i angled it so they would hit the stage, they were never spiked :T

JobVanDam

Smash Rookie
I disagree with this statement. In my experience the side bair spits the opponent out almost seems random or at least I'm still not sure the mechanics of it.

My fave way to use bair is stand at the ledge, if I see the opponent recovering low I just run off, start bair and aim for them.
We either trade hits which hits them straight down gimping poor recoveries, some of the hits connect I double jump and they get footstooled and die (very funny) or they eat all the hits and I can drag them to the left or right while falling. I have several different videos of me using this technique and they either get stage spiked or they get spit out away from the stage. I can never determine where they will go.

It does seem if I drag them toward the stage they get spit out away from the stage.
If I moderately influence the direction they get spit out towards the stage.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
I disagree with this statement. In my experience the side bair spits the opponent out almost seems random or at least I'm still not sure the mechanics of it.

My fave way to use bair is stand at the ledge, if I see the opponent recovering low I just run off, start bair and aim for them.
We either trade hits which hits them straight down gimping poor recoveries, some of the hits connect I double jump and they get footstooled and die (very funny) or they eat all the hits and I can drag them to the left or right while falling. I have several different videos of me using this technique and they either get stage spiked or they get spit out away from the stage. I can never determine where they will go.

It does seem if I drag them toward the stage they get spit out away from the stage.
If I moderately influence the direction they get spit out towards the stage.
if you want it to stage spike you need to run off and make sure they are on the right side of you if you do it on the left ledge, or vice versa. It will always spit them into the stage if you do not move after starting the bair, the direction is not random. If you start to DI towards the stage then it becomes more random since you are moving them into a different part of the hitbox, but it will always send them into the stage if you just run off and bair without moving,

Top Bottom