• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to not be disrespectful during a match

Sword_Sneak

Smash Rookie
Yesterday I played online aginst a guy who used marth and it was so much fun
I won only 2 times and he won like 13 but I never felt disrespected or frustrated

After that, he logged out and I played aginst anither guy who used marth
but he was so disrespectful and it got me so mad and annoyed
I couldn't tell what's the diffrence between those two play styles that made one so nice and fun and the other so... not...

I'm afraid I'm playing disrespectful too and I want to know what's disrespectful and how to play fun and nice

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
The upside to the huge lack of online features like voice chat (with random opponents) is that it's pretty hard to disrespect someone. If you're feeling disrespected then just beat them and if you can't win than that's probably the only reason you're feeling disrespected.

hsuperill

Smash Rookie

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
The upside to the huge lack of online features like voice chat (with random opponents) is that it's pretty hard to disrespect someone. If you're feeling disrespected then just beat them and if you can't win than that's probably the only reason you're feeling disrespected.
That's not right. I've definitely been clobbered by people who I sensed spite from and been clobbered by people who I thought liked me. Likewise, I've beaten people I thought were good sports and I've beaten people I thought were nasty about it.

@OP I agree with you that spiteful actions are hard to define. Some are obvious, like if they taunt repeatedly after every kill (as in more than one taunt per kill). Multiple tauntings usually gives me the sense they're trying to gloat. I also saw one guy do what was probably a mocking behavior; I was doing some dash dancing in the match and after he got a kill he spammed dash dance in place of his taunt. I won that game. The next game it was 0-50 my favor on the last life when I died to a self destruct, and he taunted twice and then immediately left the lobby without accepting a rematch. To me, that seemed pretty nasty. Sometimes I get the sense people like to "take their win and run" to "prove that they're better than you". On the other hand, you can't always read too far in to people who leave after one game. You might just not have been what they were looking for for a reason that has nothing to do with spite. So it's tricky to tell but I know what you're talking about.

I think the most benign after-kill taunts are the single taunts players do after they feel like they did something awesome because they're celebrating. Personally I almost never taunt even once after kills because taunting is a gray area and I try hard to be respectful even to the opponents I perceive as the nastiest. Most of my taunts are after my own self destructs, either to make fun of myself or if I saw them self destruct, but decided to deliberately give them a stock to keep the match fun (since hey, it's just for glory), and am using taunting as a way to kind of "bow in". Other people seem to understand the "bowing in" behavior. They'll also often pay me back in deliberate self destructs if they see me do something stupid. Bowing in and self destruct compensation seem to be signs of deep respect. Quickly agreeing to rematches after a match that was lost due to a self destruct or similarly disappointing mistake also always makes me feel appreciated by my opponent.

It's all based on body language and pretty vague cues, but when is respect not? But it's good to remember you don't always know what your opponent means by what they do.

Last edited:

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand how taunting is ever disrespectful. It's a tactic. People tend to play sloppy when they're mad. There's nothing more satisfying than beating a cocky player. I can understand being annoyed with people who are disrespectful IRL but to get worked up over taunts and other stuff in game is a little silly to me.

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
I think you're right it can be a tactic. It's called taunting, after all!

People have their reasons for caring about the emotional content of games, though. Let's teach good discipline for dealing with frustrating players, not teach people that they're wrong for feeling frustrated.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Yesterday I played online aginst a guy who used marth and it was so much fun
I won only 2 times and he won like 13 but I never felt disrespected or frustrated

After that, he logged out and I played aginst anither guy who used marth
but he was so disrespectful and it got me so mad and annoyed
I couldn't tell what's the diffrence between those two play styles that made one so nice and fun and the other so... not...

I'm afraid I'm playing disrespectful too and I want to know what's disrespectful and how to play fun and nice
Marth? Disrespecting? What an embarrassment to Marth players...

Check this wonderful thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/things-that-you-find-disrespectful-in-a-smash-match.372616/

Basically boils down to this: There no ultimate definition of disrespect, but people like to get salty whenever they can.
I don't know if you think I am just a little crybaby for making that thread,but I that is why I named it "things that YOU find disrespectful in a smash match". I personally believe it is possible to feel disrespected,but not get pissed about it. I sometimes see people to something I would find disrespectful when I am feeling confident and I just brush it off,but when I am doubting how good I am at the game it can just make it worse for me. I have gotten tons of people complain about how there is no ultimate definition of disrespect as if I do not know that, to me saying that just makes it look like you just saw the word "disrespectful" and clicked on the thread without reading the full title which clearly has the word "You" in it.

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763

I don't know if you think I am just a little crybaby for making that thread,but I that is why I named it "things that YOU find disrespectful in a smash match". I personally believe it is possible to feel disrespected,but not get pissed about it. I sometimes see people to something I would find disrespectful when I am feeling confident and I just brush it off,but when I am doubting how good I am at the game it can just make it worse for me. I have gotten tons of people complain about how there is no ultimate definition of disrespect as if I do not know that, to me saying that just makes it look like you just saw the word "disrespectful" and clicked on the thread without reading the full title which clearly has the word "You" in it.
I think your thread is valuable in that it highlights how much "disrespect" is in the eye of the beholder. Some people find things disrespectful that others see as signs of a playful or skilled player. At the end of the day, when there's no communication, the perception of disrespect can only come from within. If you're getting mad at other people for how they play the game, then the thing to do is to channel that feeling into figuring out how to beat that playstyle.

Or to take a break from the game and cool down for a bit. =)

Lichi

This is my war snarl

Sadly, I have not only read the title, but the thread and its ongoing ramble on how everyone gets mad at their opponent for the most ridiculous reasons. I did not click it at random, but I linked it to here because this was looking to be a thread that would derail into the same utterly useless compilation of being salty about taunts, disconnects, crouching and not playing a character.
Unfortunately for you, I did not consider you a crybaby until now, when you cried about me linking your thread interpreting malicious intent into that action. ;)

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Sadly, I have not only read the title, but the thread and its ongoing ramble on how everyone gets mad at their opponent for the most ridiculous reasons. I did not click it at random, but I linked it to here because this was looking to be a thread that would derail into the same utterly useless compilation of being salty about taunts, disconnects, crouching and not playing a character.
Unfortunately for you, I did not consider you a crybaby until now, when you cried about me linking your thread interpreting malicious intent into that action. ;)
What? I just wanted to clear things up in case you or other people got the wrong idea. I tried to tell people to try to avoid complaining about certain things,but it only worked for a little while. When I used the word "You" in my post (not talking about the thread title) I was not referring specifically to you, I was referring to anybody who got the wrong idea. I told you, I can feel disrespected sometimes without getting mad,but I can also feel disrespected and get frustrated depending on how I am feeling at the time. I did not assume you had "malicious intent", now you are basically assuming the same thing that you said I was doing,but the end of your post clearly shows that is what you thought, unlike mine which used the word "You" in a general sense rather then specifically referring to you. Hell, I even said at the beginning "I don't know if you think I am just a little crybaby for making that thread".

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
If the conversation between Lichi and Jingle is anything to go by; try not to misinterpret your opponent so that they do not misinterpret you in return thereby resulting in a character based argument rather than one based on the merits of your game-play. Maybe the Marth you played against was not trying to be disrespectful, maybe you just thought he was. Maybe if he saw this post he would feel that you disrespected him. It is so sad.

Jotunn

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2337-5646-3684
I play Ike, so I'm incredibly used to receiving "disrespect" from my opponents; however it is a double edged sword.

Just the other day I ran down the timer against a Link player and the following Duck Hunt by running away after seizing 1 stock. Of course it's because none of them used any real approaches.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
I was playing as Ganon against an online Link player. He won the first game, I won the second, and then he won the third. He was taunting a lot after each kill, which I thought was disrespectful at first, but whatever.

Overall, I thought we were having good games. Then I saw he changed his tag to "CMON *****" after the third match.

I switched to my main (Olimar) and two-stocked him the next match. I probably would've changed my tag to something disrespectful, but he was gone by the time the next screen came up.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I have a hard time taking offense to anything. A double taunt? Well, if you can get away with it, whatever. Taunting me instead of edge guarding me? Well, if you don't have a great air game, go for it. Crouch-walking or pseudo-dance-dashing? How are those any different from taunting?

One time, I Pikachu successfully edge guarded me and crouch-walked backwards instead of taunting me. I thought it was actually pretty funny, so when I KOed him, I did the same in response. Next thing I know, the both of us were crouch-walking whenever we got the opportunity(though it wasn't that common, since we both had projectiles).

My point is...it's only really offensive if you assume it to be. I find taunts to be cool or funny, so I just can't bring myself to feel like I'm being mocked.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
The only time I have ever felt disrespected is when the opponent changed his name to ''rekt'' after destroying me completely.

Other than that, not really.

Genix

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yanoshka
So, the other day i witnessed the most disrespecting player i've ever seen on FG.
It was a pretty mediocre Little Mac who happened to beat me, although it was pretty clutch. Naturally, i wanted to have a rematch, but not only did he quit instantly, he also changed his tag to ''LOL, NOOB'' for like 10 seconds before leaving.
I wasn't mad or anything, but i did feel a little salty though.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
How Not to be Disrespectful: Don't ever, ever, ever (ever) completely destroy someone, and then purposely let them beat you one round just so that you'll hit them twice as hard the next.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
I think your thread is valuable in that it highlights how much "disrespect" is in the eye of the beholder. Some people find things disrespectful that others see as signs of a playful or skilled player. At the end of the day, when there's no communication, the perception of disrespect can only come from within. If you're getting mad at other people for how they play the game, then the thing to do is to channel that feeling into figuring out how to beat that playstyle.

Or to take a break from the game and cool down for a bit. =)
Cue all the :4ganondorf: and :4falcon:players laughing their asses off lol

I swear, ever since I lost a few times to some players who leave right after "proving their Leafy point to me", I have to watch out for those who either insta-leave like al of us for various reasons, or use an acclaimed-"stylish and disrespectful character" just to add more to their "ban this guy from playing Smash ever again" montages.

But hey, I have around only a 10-to-33% winrate, so what do I know? It's the same reason I'm still bronze 5 to this day in League of Legends.

The only time I have ever felt disrespected is when the opponent changed his name to ''rekt'' after destroying me completely.

Other than that, not really.
To be honest, these kinds of players are frequent on my end A LOT. I'm on the 3DS so there's a lot less communication there lol
That part just seems to stem from being a bit "unlucky" for players like me, as I get bodied A LOT. Hell, some have even bothered to switch characters just to trigger me further like the dumb*** I am lol

Meanwhile, everyone else talks about the more general "spam" stereotypes on For Glory, which may or may not include those who have nothing but "disrespect" montages with :4ganondorf:.

I was playing as Ganon against an online Link player. He won the first game, I won the second, and then he won the third. He was taunting a lot after each kill, which I thought was disrespectful at first, but whatever.

Overall, I thought we were having good games. Then I saw he changed his tag to "CMON *****" after the third match.

I switched to my main (Olimar) and two-stocked him the next match. I probably would've changed my tag to something disrespectful, but he was gone by the time the next screen came up.
A slight possible problem here is that imho, I've heard that people LOVE to deem Ganondorf as the "king of disrespect", so you're bound to get some heat online for those who REALLY hate getting "disrespected" by the King of Evil (me included as one of his victims).

Don't get me wrong, his forward tilt looks nasty enough to be a GTFOMF-kick, but Introspecktive pretty much summed up the Ganon-player stereotype quite nicely (no offense; then again Intro's a shameless Charizard/Lizardon main himself lol).

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom