• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to know if you've found your new main! (For beginners and/or semi-novices only.)

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
1. You feel comfortable using the character.

Basically, if you win or lose with the character you are the most interested in maining, and/or also having fun in the process, it's possible you've found yourself your main, well, main. Your playstyle usually should reflect your characters' playstyles, as well. Very important.

2. Can you subconsciously feel like you're actually the character him/herself?

This is a weird one, but trust me on this. When fighting, do you feel a sense of connection between you and your character? Do you feel like you can embody your playstyle into that character, whether defensive or offensive? A part of yourself, maybe? Does his or her personality have any reliability onto yours?

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
1. You feel comfortable using the character.

Basically, if you win or lose with the character you are the most interested in maining, and/or also having fun in the process, it's possible you've found yourself your main, well, main. Your playstyle usually should reflect your characters' playstyles, as well. Very important.

2. Can you subconsciously feel like you're actually the character him/herself?

This is a weird one, but trust me on this. When fighting, do you feel a sense of connection between you and your character? Do you feel like you can embody your playstyle into that character, whether defensive or offensive? A part of yourself, maybe? Does his or her personality have any reliability onto yours?
I agree with your first point. I always tell beginners when looking for a main:

1- Main / Alt the 2 or 3 characters that come most naturally to you. It will help you to more quickly learn / master those characters. If they come naturally to you, they probably fit your play style.

2- Ensure that you have fun playing the characters that come naturally to you. It will help you stay focused during long hours of practice and keep you interested in the game. If your not having fun why play?

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Yeah pretty much this. Shulk has just clicked with me, from the moment he was announced. Ryu as well, considering my love of fighting games in general.

Top Bottom