• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to jab reset rest?

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
Hey guys,

sorry if this is a really silly question but just wanted to be sure. just started picking up puff.

after a jab reset. do you dash up a bit and then jump -> rest. or do you just jump at them and rest.

also when u jump->rest. why is the jump necessary? and are u jumping towards or just straight up or doesnt matter?

Thanks,
HK

GenNyan

Smash Ace
It depends on the distance, I had trouble with this when I first started puff. Either method works, after a while you'll just get better at it. Jumping towards them is better than jumping straight up because A. Puff has insane aerial mobility and 2. The opponent's character model will actually push puff out of the way if you dash too far into them first.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If you're literally right beside them (this spacing can require a small dash if your jab is a tipper), and you jump toward them and rest immediately you're fine.

Last edited:

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
The benefit of jumping up and slightly towards them for the rest is the leniency in timing. When you dash into them (their collision box) theres quite a bit of resistance making it a bit easier to time the rest once they become vulnerable from their get-up. Jumping from afar works just as well, I just find it less consistent in timings, as being at a different spacing can entirely change when you're inputing everything.

Last edited:

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
sorry. kind of irrelevanmt to the inital question now but. what about versus sheik/etc dash grabs and dash attacks. if they dash attack or grab and they miss. do i just CC rest. or do i need to CC -> jump into them and rest?

BairSSBM

Smash Rookie
If a sheik attempts a dash grab, or a dash attack, and you CC it, you only need to rest you don't have to jump. I'm not sure if jumping would work, but if you CC your control stick is already down so all you have to do is press B and that'll get you the rest.

Last edited:

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
sorry. kind of irrelevanmt to the inital question now but. what about versus sheik/etc dash grabs and dash attacks. if they dash attack or grab and they miss. do i just CC rest. or do i need to CC -> jump into them and rest?
In the case of Sheik's grab (be it dash grab or JC grab) there is no jump required to rest, as when she grabs, her foot steps forward into your rest hit-box. Like previously said ^ You would only need to press B. Jumping would be entirely possible but much much slower. Instead of rest (1-frame punish) you would have to use frames to jump-squat, and being a little slow results in a rest on shield. So it's possible, but probably not the smartest.

On the other hand, if Sheik spaces her grab very well and she isn't right up next to you, your punish should probably change to:

Fsmash (If you're expecting the grab, preferably at high percent)
Grab Sheik (On reaction, as downthrow can lead to hard platform tech chase punishes)
Uptilt (If facing away from Sheik, potentially leading to a Bair chain with good DI, and rest with poor DI)

These are only a couple options of course, but I wouldn't suggest jumping unless you're intending to fair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom