• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to input the inputs that make moves different or stronger?

TCL | Harp & Dagger

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheCorndogLover
3DS FC
1075-0799-6110
I cant digure out if I'm supposed to input the directions before or after I initiate the move. And do you have to press eac really fast or can you roll the stick? Whats the timing like? Has anyone gotten this to work consistently?

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
All the inputs for the alternative special moves are actually listed on the offical Smash website. Just be Quick with the inputs and you will pull it off!

DestinNotDustin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5172-3310-2014
I'll put it into computer notation for you. Look at your number pad on your keyboard.

2, 3, 6 + B is Fireball.

4, 1, 2, 3, 6 + B is Red Fireball.

2, 1, 4 + B is Hurricane Kick.

6, 2, 3 + B is Dragon Punch.

It takes practice, but you will eventually get the hang of it. If possible, download FightCade or SNES emulators and play Street Fighter 2. Not only will you appreciate the God Father of All Fighting games, you will master these inputs (and eventually play other fighting games such as Street Fighter 5 with ease!)

TCL | Harp & Dagger

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheCorndogLover
3DS FC
1075-0799-6110
I'll put it into computer notation for you. Look at your number pad on your keyboard.

2, 3, 6 + B is Fireball.

4, 1, 2, 3, 6 + B is Red Fireball.

2, 1, 4 + B is Hurricane Kick.

6, 2, 3 + B is Dragon Punch.

It takes practice, but you will eventually get the hang of it. If possible, download FightCade or SNES emulators and play Street Fighter 2. Not only will you appreciate the God Father of All Fighting games, you will master these inputs (and eventually play other fighting games such as Street Fighter 5 with ease!)
Yeah im gonna get into street ighter bow, i think i can do it pretty well now, just gotta get better at doing it in a match. Thanks!

DestinNotDustin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5172-3310-2014
Also, his Down + B (Called the "Focus Attack") can be dashed out of. This is called a "Focus Attack Dash Cancel" (abbreviated as FADC). To dash, tap Forward or Backwards twice. Unlike SF4, FA and FADCs can be performed in the air.

Khao

Smash Lord
Don't think of it as down > down+right > right.

Think of it as pressing down, then rolling the stick forward.

One thing I find much more informative and intuitive than listing multiple directions, is the icons on the move lists in recent games like Street Fighter IV or Marvel vs Capcom 3:

They basically show the exact motions you have to make rather than a bunch of random directions.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Don't know if this will help, but you can Short Hop and commence the analog inputs and then press down on B/A. It helps me to get the SF inputs done more easily.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Actually, you can cause the empoered Shoryuuken and Hurricane Kick with up (or side respective) and hjolding b...i doubt this is intentional. Or maybe my game just glitched out.

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Having issues doing the shoruken quickly and consitantly. I either do the shakunetsu hadoken or I do a running up smash when I fail. Any tips? (Yes, I get that you roll the stick in a Z fashion)

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Having issues doing the shoruken quickly and consitantly. I either do the shakunetsu hadoken or I do a running up smash when I fail. Any tips? (Yes, I get that you roll the stick in a Z fashion)
Its not really a Z, it is :GCR::GCD::GCDR::GCA: . But if its just for recovery purposes, you can use :GCU:+hold:GCB: instead, which will also trigger the higher Shoryuken. And i think i read you can do :GCDR::GCDR::GCA: aswell as Smash uses a special simplified input system from one of the SF games...

http://smashboards.com/threads/ryus-specials-can-also-be-done-with-simplified-sf4-inputs.406212/

Edit: Apparently :GCDR::GCD::GCDR::GCA: works too.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here.

As you know, if you input the right inputs for the specials it doesn't matter if you use B or A, the special comes out. Speed and dmg are determined by how long you press the button. Well, I found that you can also do the specials if you press the grab button. So, do a quarter of a circle plus grab button for a hadouken. The difference is that you will always get the weak/slow version, no matter for how long you press the button. This way you actually have 3 buttons in order to do the specials and they all will have a different result.

With this it's not necessary to time your input of Thea attack button anymore, just use a different button and you'll get a different version of each special, just as in SF.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
I actually did not notice the specials could be performed with A, that helps a ton with the fire haduken because i keep accidentally doing SideB. I used to play SF on the SNES a ton but that was with a D-Pad not a Stick lol....future fighting games ive always preferred the pad over the stick and i cant do that in brawl so its throwing me off hardcore.

Does his DownB have any special differences when performed correctly vs just down + b? I dont recognize that move since i never played SF4.
Also a side not about his DownB ive noticed: it is one HELL of a syke-out since you can tap left/right twice to cancel it and sidestep a little. Ive gotten so many free smashes because people expected me to stand there dumbfounded for a moment and went for a grab, only to find out i was a step back and winding a smash lol

TCL | Harp & Dagger

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheCorndogLover
3DS FC
1075-0799-6110
I'm able to do it more consistently now, and can confirm the easiest way to do the enpowered shoryuken is to double tap down-forward and then use it.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
is there really a diffrence in power when you input the attack to me it doesn't seem that much more powerfull when i do it ?

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
is there really a diffrence in power when you input the attack to me it doesn't seem that much more powerfull when i do it ?
Hadouken and Side-B have a few more %, and I was told that input-Shoryuken kills 20% earlier and does more % (+ invincibility).

Top Bottom