• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to improve once you've mastered tech and combo game?

Stairs

Smash Rookie
So I'm at this point where I can efficiently do most forms of tech, my combo game isn't going to get much better, etc. etc.

The problem is that I feel like I've been at this point and unable to improve from here. When I get a hit I extend it as far as I can and with my character (Sheik) I feel like there isn't much room to improve my strings, I do a good job at making sure I'm the one to get that hit and that I don't get hit. So, what do I do from here? How do I improve to rise higher in the competitive rankings? It seems like I've hit a wall and I'm unable to get over it.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
If you've been regularly attending tournaments, continue to until you're winning consistently.
From there on out, it's a commitment thing. Finding better Smashers to face until you've reached the top. In particular, finding Smashers who are actually beating you consistently.
If you're committed enough like the top players, then you'll continue to get better.
There's always learning matchups and how to handle them. Stage advantages and disadvantages for all characters (So that you know what to try and steer towards in a matchup). Neutral Game is ALWAYS something that can be improved. Melee, a game that's been out for 14 years, has not reached a point where the Neutral has been "solved", and it won't hit that for a while (20XX :foxmelee:). That's because it's one of the areas that always has opportunity to grow, so if you feel like you've got everything you want to get down done, I'd say to focus on the Neutral.

Watching back replays and whatnot to see what you could've done better (discounting any situation that was purely RPS in the opening of a game), also helps.
For me, watching high level play and seeing them make different decisions than what I would've done in situations helps. Because I then question why they decided to do as they did, and try to understand their reasoning. If I disagree, I disagree, that may be what can eventually make me rise above them, but it helps to give a sense of what other people think, rather than just purely focusing on my own mindset (ironically, this in turn helps the mindset of a player).

That's about what I got.

Top Bottom