• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to improve advertising for a tournament?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I'm trying to build the smash scene in my area (smaller city area), but I live in a deadzone tbh. Only a few (semi) competitive(-casual) smashers are in the area, and most of them are Melee guys (trying to build for Smash 4).

The last tournament I held got about 20 people (which is pretty good for my area, all things considered), but most people came from the bigger cities an hour or so away, making them a toss up in terms of attendance. So far, here is what I've done to increase attendance.

• Advertised the event on our regional Facebook page (and related pages in the area)
  • Advertised the event on Smashboards
  • Advertised the event on NintendoDojo/the old All is Brawl (do people still use this site?)
  • Put up flyers about the event, including contact info and tear-offs with call numbers. (Unfortunately, this only goes so far. I put up a flyer at the restaurant that's hosting, local comic shops, and local locations that allow posters (such as BuyBacks), but not everywhere allows that).
  • Put up flyers at one of our state's large events.
  • Try to get those who plan to attend to spread the word.
Are there other ways for me to advertise? Are there other websites I should go through? I want to get more regulars if I can...

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
How many people do you think go to your Tournaments/Regulars? I am still trying to think of ideas right now...

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
You can advertise on reddit. I think there is also Smash Lounge. The other big place to hit is any local school or College. Also check out local radio stations' and newspaper's websites often they have a page for local events. For the most part it seems like you have everything else covered. The main growth is going to be attendees telling their friends.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Where on reddit? The main Smash page? I didn't think I'd be allowed to advertise for local events there.

I've put up fliers at my college and advertised on their FB gaming page, but I don't know how well that went the last time. There are lots of fliers put up there. Summer is not a good time for that either, unfortunately.

As for radio and newspaper, it comes down if that ad space is free or not. I'm not in a position where I can spend a lot of money, especially for an event scene that will probably not get extremely big and where I will probably not be turning profit to make up for what I spent.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Where on reddit? The main Smash page? I didn't think I'd be allowed to advertise for local events there.

I've put up fliers at my college and advertised on their FB gaming page, but I don't know how well that went the last time. There are lots of fliers put up there. Summer is not a good time for that either, unfortunately.

As for radio and newspaper, it comes down if that ad space is free or not. I'm not in a position where I can spend a lot of money, especially for an event scene that will probably not get extremely big and where I will probably not be turning profit to make up for what I spent.

Yep you can post on the main Smash reddit page. It will likely be burried by the other stuff but ususally a handful of locals will see it.

As far as newspaper and radio goes, you would be surprised how many offer free ads for local events. I mean you won't get that much publicity without paying but at least it is something.

Also contact your local paper and see if you can get a reporter to come out and do a short interview. This will help raise awareness.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Okay, thanks.

I'll have to look into that then. I'm sure the restaurant we play at would like the publicity too.

Temkin

BUSTER
Pretty much keep doing what you're doing. Post flyers everywhere. Talk to people at game stores or places that nerds would hangout at.

One that can draw people is get a stream going with commentators. It makes the tournaments feel more official and people like to watch each other play on stream.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
One that can draw people is get a stream going with commentators.
The restaurant I host at apparently does not have wi-fi. I've asked before if somebody would be willing to use their phone as a wi-fi hotspot, but no takers. Even though I offered compensation, people might not be willing to use up all their data like that.

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
The restaurant I host at apparently does not have wi-fi. I've asked before if somebody would be willing to use their phone as a wi-fi hotspot, but no takers. Even though I offered compensation, people might not be willing to use up all their data like that.
I wouldn't worry about wi-fi yet. For now, just focus on getting people to know you. Have you tried setting up a twitter page for your event? Also, look for well-known names anywhere near you. If good smash players are around your area and they show up, it'll attract attention.

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
A good alternative to streaming is just uploading videos to youtube. That's what I plan on doing since there's no wi-fi at my venue

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
For now, just focus on getting people to know you. Have you tried setting up a twitter page for your event? Also, look for well-known names anywhere near you. If good smash players are around your area and they show up, it'll attract attention.
I don't have a twitter for the page. I barely use my personal twitter. Not that I can't start with a new one, but I wonder how effective it would be for me, and idk what I'd call it (name it after the region we play in or what?) because I may be moving next year, so it would have to be one size fits all.

We have good players from Pitt, Cleveland, and Akron that come in. Rarely anybody from Columbus (3 hours away), which is too bad, because that's probably the strongest community near us. As for Youngstown itself, we're... developing. We get most of our good players from out of town (save a few).

A good alternative to streaming is just uploading videos to youtube. That's what I plan on doing since there's no wi-fi at my venue
I may try that. Gonna add more incentive for that.

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
I don't have a twitter for the page. I barely use my personal twitter. Not that I can't start with a new one, but I wonder how effective it would be for me, and idk what I'd call it (name it after the region we play in or what?) because I may be moving next year, so it would have to be one size fits all.
I think having your region in the name is definitely a good start. That way it's easy to look up. If someone wants to be part of the scene near you and they look up surrounding cities, you have to make sure your event can pop up.

Campoq

Smash Rookie
NNID
Campoq
Build up the hype for your tournament. I'm going to host my first tourney this coming Saturday with my friend and we built so much hype for it that we have over 50 people confirmed. Talk to people personally and it'll catch on trust me. seeing a flyer isn't good enough.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Build up the hype for your tournament. I'm going to host my first tourney this coming Saturday with my friend and we built so much hype for it that we have over 50 people confirmed. Talk to people personally and it'll catch on trust me. seeing a flyer isn't good enough.
You need to be more specific. What defines "building hype"? In terms of just talking to people, I live in a deadzone where I can only really talk to a few.

Sadoc

Smash Rookie
qtd for truth

As a small and looking to grow tournament organizer myself. I have found that flyers aren't really all that effective. It's word of mouth and hype. One thing I have done is hold free tournaments at local colleges to build up exposure.

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
You need to be more specific. What defines "building hype"? In terms of just talking to people, I live in a deadzone where I can only really talk to a few.
qtd for truth

As a small and looking to grow tournament organizer myself. I have found that flyers aren't really all that effective. It's word of mouth and hype. One thing I have done is hold free tournaments at local colleges to build up exposure.
Something I've learned to do is host free smash fests somewhere to practice and let them know about your tournament. And let everybody know that you need lots of people to show up so it can be known that it'll become something serious.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
In order for a Smashfest to work though, that also needs advertisement, which goes back to the original problem. The purpose boils down to getting bodies to attend. We do have local smash fests from time to time, but they're mostly Melee based (which is not the game I'm advertising for) and the Smash 4 players who attend already know about the events, thanks to our facebook page. Under this context, the best I can do is tell them to let their friends now (which I do).

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
In order for a Smashfest to work though, that also needs advertisement, which goes back to the original problem. The purpose boils down to getting bodies to attend. We do have local smash fests from time to time, but they're mostly Melee based (which is not the game I'm advertising for) and the Smash 4 players who attend already know about the events, thanks to our facebook page. Under this context, the best I can do is tell them to let their friends now (which I do).
Have you tried searching facebook for smash groups in your area? I joined 3 or 4 so more people could know about my tournament. Another idea is checking for tournaments nearest to you, going to them, and letting them know you're hosting one in your area.
The biggest appeal I had was letting people know that they can have a closer venue. Most people drive 30-40 minutes for a tournament, and having one 15 minutes away is way more ideal.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Have you tried searching facebook for smash groups in your area? I joined 3 or 4 so more people could know about my tournament. Another idea is checking for tournaments nearest to you, going to them, and letting them know you're hosting one in your area.
We have a few groups, though none are Smash 4 related. Two university gaming groups, a Brawl group (that's kinda dwindling), a Melee group that I don't advertise on, because our group is the sister group for Smash 4, so we have all the interested people from that group already, and the Columbus group, which is kinda far away. Our group is for the region in general. Not sure how much interest I'd get for a Ytown specific group, as the community here dwindled.

I may be going to a Cleveland event soon. They get 30ish people sometimes, so if I can make it, I'll spread the word.

The biggest appeal I had was letting people know that they can have a closer venue. Most people drive 30-40 minutes for a tournament, and having one 15 minutes away is way more ideal.
The few people from Ytown like that. Pittsburgh does too. They don't seem to have many events for Smash 4, despite having a decent sized group, so coming to Youngstown is better tan driving an extra hour to Clevland or Akron, or 3.5 total to Columbus. We get some Cleveland and Akron peeps that come, but their scene is a bit stronger than ours, so little incentive, save a few. And Columbus rarely shows up, since they're the best scene in Ohio. Advertising at Cleveland may be my best bet at this pont.

Top Bottom