• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Identify Clash, Transcendence, and Electric Typing in OSA2

First of all, I'm going to give credit where credit is due. Many thanks to Toomai for creating his Hitbox Flag Directory.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=286748
His thread is where I got what bit(s) do(es) what.

Anyhow, this thread will give you the hard way to identify these properties in a flag, and the easy way.

For the hard way:

1) Load up OSA2, and go to your desired attack subaction.

2) Hit "Dump to clipboard".

3) Paste the dump in any old text-editing program. Hell, even the posting pane on SWF works.

4) Find the flag you want to gather data from, and copy it, excluding the "0x" at the beginning.

5) Paste the flag into a calculator that can convert hex to binary, and binary to decimal.

6) Convert the flag, which is in hex, to binary.

7) Now, if you simply want to know if a hitbox clanks or transcends, find the fifth bit, bits being the ones and zeroes in the binary string. If the fifth bit is a "1", then the hitbox can clank. If the fifth bit is a "0", then the hitbox can transcend.

8) Now you're probably thinking, "Well, I can tell whether a hitbox has electric typing or not just by the visuals, duh." Well... this is just for the sake of those who love to double check, like me. Anyways, to find electric typing, copy the last five bits in the binary string. I say last five because you'll occasionally run into flags that, when converted to binary, have less than 32 bits.

9) Finally, paste those five bits into a field that will convert them from binary to decimal. If they convert to "3", then the hitbox has an electric typing.

Now for the easy method. For this, you'll need a simple conversion chart, and to know that "0011" in binary is equal to "3" in both decimal and hex.

Chart:

H - B
0 - 0000
1 - 0001
2 - 0010
3 - 0011
4 - 0100
5 - 0101
6 - 0110
7 - 0111
8 - 1000
9 - 1001
A - 1010
B - 1011
C - 1100
D - 1101
E - 1110
F - 1111

Now, with this method, you don't need to do all those dreadfully tedious conversions. You just look at the flag in OSA2.

To check for clash/transcendence, look at the second hex value in the flag. If this value is any digit between and including 0 and 7, then your hitbox will transcend. This is because each hex value is four bits in binary, meaning the second hex value will have its first bit as the fifth one in the binary string, and hex values 0-7 all have a "0" as their first bit.

To check for electric typing, look at the last two hex values. First of all, the last value has to be "3", or else it definitely isn't electric. However, if the last value is three, check the second-to-last value. If that value is 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, A, C, or E, then your hitbox is, in fact, electric. This works because "3" in hex is equal to "0011" in binary, and those compatible hex values I listed end in "0" when converted to binary. In order for a hitbox to have electric typing, its last five binary bits must convert to "3" in decimal. However, simply having a three as the last value in a flag doesn't mean the hitbox has an electric typing. This is because one digit in hex is equal to four bits in binary, but electricity checks for the last five bits to equal "3". This means that if the preceeding hex value ends with a "1" in binary, the bits won't convert to "3" in decimal. However, since adding a "0" to the beginning of a number in binary doesn't change its value, your penultimate hex value must have a "0" as its last bit, so the final five bits still convert to "3".

Top Bottom