• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to host a school tournament/ help plz:)

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
Hello!

every year, we our school has all of its students participate in halo, ping pong, or 3vs3 basket ball tournaments. This year, ( as the event falls on March 19) we went to the head of it and asked if we could host a Super Smash Bros Brawl tourny. She said yes (as long as we could find at least 16 people, we got 13 now).

So my question is, how do I go about this?

By this i mean, how do i organize brackets, how should I set matches, time, stock, so forth.
I need EVERYTHING, mostly because i know most of these questions are on pros mind, i though i could have a take from them.

by the way, we will only have about 3 1.5- 4 hours to host this tourny.

Also this is a school event only, so i don't need to be asked directions or anything.

Thanks!

Edit: I got got a couple more questions

1. Wiis CAN be hooked up to projecters right? i heard they can't get past the title screen or something.

2. I am considering a ban for Toon Link, as there are gonna be a lot of people or have never played smash before, and the last thing that needs to happen is a noob getting his *** whooped only to discover that he can kill people at 0% what are your takes on this.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Double Elimination 4 stocks. Same old MLG rules unless you wanna modify it. Check the MLG rules here

http://www.mlgpro.com/wiki/index.php/Official_MLG_SSBM_Settings

Or you can decrease the stock to 3 and set the timer to 4 min? (Normal is 8)

I dunno ? xP
DON'T LISTEN TO THIS.

He is talking about Brawl, not melee.

Brawl is slow as balls, it would be especially for so for new and amateur players.

I honestly suggest time matches for such a minor event.

But if you want some semblance of traditional rules go for 3 stock 6 mins.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
1. Wiis CAN be hooked up to projecters right? i heard they can't get past the title screen or something.

2. I am considering a ban for Toon Link, as there are gonna be a lot of people or have never played smash before, and the last thing that needs to happen is a noob getting his *** whooped only to discover that he can kill people at 0% what are your takes on this.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Yes. It can be hooked up to a projector.

Do NOT ban Toon Link. You don't seem to understand the circumstances in which he kills at 0%. It will be a non-issue and people will get the wrong message about the game if you start telling them they can't use certain characters.

Rules: 1v1, 3 stock, 5 or 6 minute time limit if you want it to keep going faster. Your choice on items. It seems to be a pretty casual events. If so, I'd leave it at Very Low or something. You can also just turn it all off.

Stages, I'd leave them all on. Maybe remove the scrolling jungle one or something if you feel it'd be unfair to throw newer players onto it.

Use tio at www.nealpro.com to organize the bracket.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
Okay, wasn't sure about toon link, the only stages i think we will ban are the jungle stage and the earthbound one, big blue to i guess. I can live with hyrule.

1v1, 6 minutes, no items.

Wow thanks guys for the help anymore suggetsions would be great.

I will release the results (hehehe i will win i hope) after the tourny.

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
4 stock, best of three. seven minute time limit. No items. Stages up to you, *just try not to do something thats ridiculous like *mushroom kingdom or rainbow cruise.* Poke floats i can live with though.*

Minty

Smash Apprentice
woops for me D: sorry i didnt see Brawl. Um lets change that to 3 stocks? 5 mins? or something liek that =o

Top Bottom