• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to hold a GC controller

HAKU

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing smash for a bit and whaet i have come to realise was that my grip is very different from the people that i play occasionally (friends). They have there pointing finger on each of the shoulders. But I have the middle finger on each of the shoulder buttons. Does this have any effect at all what so ever to your gameplay? such as the pressing speed of such and such that Falco needs.

PS. I found that if you have your pointing fingers on the L button its easier to DashDance.

Zeron

Smash Apprentice
Only a few things are affected I think. For instance, if you get used to having your right hand middle finger on R and your index on X/Y, you could get out of your shines a lot easier and quicker. Also, it's a bit more comfortable to have you right thumb reach down for the C-stick if you have the above setup.

What you described up there is the standard way to hold a GC controller, but those who hold it this way usually exert a lot more effort. For example, short hopping lasers - having to continuously go back from X/Y to B where as if you stick with the method you're using, you have a finger on X/Y at all times so your right thumb has less work (only has to press A/B or the C-stick).

^Random analysis. In a nutshell, yes it affects the pressing speed if you cannot move your thumbs fast enough with a regular hold on the controller. Should be easier for you, but most players get used to holding it the standard way.

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
It's just personal habit. Some people it easier to play with some positions. Some players use, "The Claw," method (I think that's what it's called), where they play the controller somewhat like an Arcade console. It's just preference.

Bailey

Smash Hero
I have with my Index Fingers on both triggers. I do this becuase my pointers are faster. Also I don't have to change anything when I play Halo 2

terr13

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry, I used to play really weird as well. I had index finger on left shoulder, middle finger on my right shoulder, used X, Y, and Up to jump, depending on the circumstances, and sometimes my index finger would move down to hit down on the C-Stick...

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
It's just personal habit. Some people it easier to play with some positions. Some players use, "The Claw," method (I think that's what it's called), where they play the controller somewhat like an Arcade console. It's just preference.

Is that where you have your left hand's thumb and index both controlling the left analog stick? I saw someone play like that and couldn't figure out why. I guess it's because of arcades.

Top Bottom