• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to hit and run with Samus

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Introduction
Forget an introduction. Let's hop right on in.

Jab
If you manage to hit with the first jab, just run away. The second jab leaves Samus open.

Dash
The dash attack can deal up to 10% on an opponent and open an opportunity of comboing, but to use it properly takes practice. If used properly, Samus should end up behind her opponent.

Aerials
B-air essentials.
B-air is a kill move. Simple as that. And with enough practice, you can even learn to space yourself if you're on the stage in spite of having landing lag. It's an attack that people want to avoid because they know it can kill. If you're confident enough, you can try running off the stage to kick your opponent into the stage. There's nothing more satisfying than watching that happen.

I d-air you.
Really, push yourself to use d-air, especially when off stage. I used to avoid using d-air to killing my opponents, simply because I was afraid of losing, but with enough practice, you can spike your opponent or accidentally knock him/her away from the stage. The only way you'll get better at using this is challenging yourself to use it off stage. You'll sooner rid of even difficult opponents, giving you the edge. No, really, you'll be the one getting back onto the edge. When you're on stage, be sure to you're moving over your opponent. Chances are they'll put up their shield, which can lead to punishing you if you're not ending up on the other side.

That's not f-air!
Well, actually it is, but it might not seem fair for those who are trying to punish Samus, but cannot land a hit, simply because she backs away. F-air offers range because the flames are in front of Samus, and no one wants to get close to those because they'll take damage. When using f-air, be sure to back away. An easy way to do this is using the right analog stick while moving away with the left analog stick. Be mindful and deliberate with how you want to use this, though. If you're on an edge, it is possible to jump onto the stage using f-air and landing behind your opponent to avoid punishment.

N-air. It's not just used for hair removal.
N-air is a pretty nice attack. It still remains as Samus', "Get off of me" attack, and it can kill. This attack has some serious knock-back, and if you're not d-airing enough to spike, n-air can be used to safely remove your opponent.

The "U" in "U-air" means "Utilize".
If you're not using u-air often as one of your aerials, then there's a problem. This attack is a good set-up for grounded opponents who like to spot-dodge or shield a lot. You'll just need to make sure you land a tad bit behind them to avoid a possible punishment. It's not easily punishable against opponents who are standing on platforms, and in fact, it's encouraged that this is used on opponents on platforms. They're vulnerable and their only best option is to jump or run off the platform, rather than roll. Because it's a multi-hit attack, it can be useful against air-dodging as well.

Z-air away! Seriously, z-air away.
If you're using z-air when you're close to your opponent, then stop. That's a fool's errand. Z-air is meant to force your opponent to approach you. Characters with the ability to reflect or absorb have nothing on z-air, either. Learn to z-air away properly and gracefully. The only time you should try approaching with a z-air is if you're at a safe distance, or if you're forced to approach, or if you're off stage and are trying to kill your opponent with the tip.

Smashes
D-smash. "D" is for "Don't".

Just don't use this attack. It has its moments, but it's a hit-and-miss.

F-smash. That's right, I said f-smash. It's effing useless.
I may be told that f-smash can kill, and you'd be right, but in spite of the range it can provide, being too close is risky and punishable. It leaves Samus open, regardless, and I'd recommend that if it's to be used, that it be used sparingly.

U-smash? No.
This attack is safe to use if your opponent is above you, preferably on a platform. Samus likes platform stages. This is also useful against tall opponents as well, but it's a risk to get too close. Interestingly, if you're not able to hit someone as tall as Mario with the initial flame, the final flame can hit the opponent if Samus is turned away. Not that I'd recommend this, but I thought it was worth noting.

Tilts
D-tilt. Mine are size D.

D-tilt doesn't kill anymore, unfortunately, but it can still be handy to knocking your opponent away so that you can prepare your charge shot. It has some range, so be sure to keep yourself at a distance while using this attack.

F-tilt. "F" is for "Frequently".
F-tilt is Samus' best friend. It gives her a lot of range. It's even useful if Samus is running away from her opponent, only to f-tilt in the opposite direction to hit her opponent. This attack has good knock-back. Just use it often as one of your non-special attacks.

U-tilt? All day long.
U-tilt is a kill move and is best used at the edge of the stage, unless you're fighting someone like Ganondorf. Just avoid Ganondorf. If timed properly, Samus' u-tilt can prevent her opponent from returning to the stage if he/she is at Samus' height or lower.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
How dair you
I can't believe it's been 8 years since that video was made. For those of you who weren't around to see it, you can watch it here. Admittedly, I was inspired to use the pun because of your video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
I can't believe it's been 8 years since that video was made. For those of you who weren't around to see it, you can watch it here. Admittedly, I was inspired to use the pun because of your video.

A quick prayer before you go into a tournament...

Lord, through the sets we go through are lives

We ask for a chance that's Fair,
A chance to even the percentage stride
A chance to do the Dair.
If I should SD.
Stand by the road.
And watch the victors go through Winner's

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
A quick prayer before going into conpetitive matches:

Lord (insert chosen deity, or Smash 'god'), for the battles we go through in life.
We ask for a chance that's Fair.
A chance to even percentage, stocks, and strides.
A chance to the do the Dair.
And if I should SD
Or mispace my Bairs
No Johns...
Stand by the road, and have a better chance in Loser's.

Last edited:

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Sorry for the spam, terroble connection

Top Bottom