• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to git gud at reaction Tech Chaseing

which one should i pracitce on?

• dolphin 20xx 4.05

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • crt 20xx 3.02

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

Rice03

Smash Cadet
I switch Form Fox to Sheik about a month ago and been playing for 2 years and only been going to tournaments consisently for 1 year. The reason why I switched to sheik is because it suits me better and I do not like to approach when I have a lead.

I have a problem tech chasing with Fox and Falco because of tech in place shine. My reactions are average and I cannot react to tech in place shine consitently. I can react to tech roll and no tech just fine but tech in place shine is my worst enemy. I usally do a downsmash or a upsmash to cover the shine since they come out faster, but It is not as good as a grab.

I want to use a method knowed as the spacing method. Where you space your self away from the shine and get a grab, which is good but it is much more difficult to react to tech roll. I might use this method in the meantime, but how does one get good at reacting to tech in place?

Last note, I use a crt to practice 20xx 3.02 cpu spaces since fox and falco shine after tech in place. The CRT is the same kind of crt that they use at my local on stream. I do not know if I should practice on a dolphin emulator with 20xx 4.05 or practice on a crt with 20xx 3.02.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Familiarize yourself with the animation or prioritize grabbing tech in place and stop yourself when you see something that ISN'T tech in place, rather then choose to grab once you see it. Have a set timing for when you would grab anyway.

Practice on whatever you have easier access to.

Rice03

Smash Cadet
Familiarize yourself with the animation or prioritize grabbing tech in place and stop yourself when you see something that ISN'T tech in place, rather then choose to grab once you see it. Have a set timing for when you would grab anyway.

Practice on whatever you have easier access to.

I get tech in place a bit more often but how can I react to the turn around DI tech in place.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Watch the arc they're launched at from the throw to know where they'll land, and if that isn't enough, turn if you aren't sure whether they'll land front or back and it becomes clear. Ideally you aren't intersecting their body much so that animations and motion aren't obscured from your view. You can also immediately wavedash back on DI behind. Do whatever works best for you.

svinthekid

Smash Rookie
Also make sure that you don't jump-cancel your grab when grabbing tech in place. Since you're already just standing, jump-cancelling will often just waste frames.

Rice03

Smash Cadet
Also make sure that you don't jump-cancel your grab when grabbing tech in place. Since you're already just standing, jump-cancelling will often just waste frames.
Thanks I will keep that in mind the reason why i use jump cancel is because I thought it came out faster

svinthekid

Smash Rookie
Well it does come out faster than a dash grab, but if you're going to be doing a standing grab anyway, you don't want the added jump-squat frames.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Well it does come out faster than a dash grab, but if you're going to be doing a standing grab anyway, you don't want the added jump-squat frames.
As most characters, JC grab is faster, but Sheik has an 8 frame dash grabs so JC grab at best is exactly as fast. Dash grab's laggier if you miss tho, so... Don't miss.

Top Bottom