• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HOw to gimp a meta Knight

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMdGw8rn0Ss&feature=channel_page

Before u come here and tell me that this isnt going to werk and blah blah blah just stp typing. I understand that most pro's probably won't do this but there are def. more average/good Mk mains then there are pro's. This "tech" or wut ever u wanna call it is just a little something that may help. Just leave positive feed back or questions that you may have..

Explination: WHen a Mk shuttle loops to teh edge he does not do the full swoop because he auto grabs. But if he hits something (in this case a shield) then he continues to swoop allowing time for you to grab the edge. VEry situational since most Mk's drill rush or tornado (Which i like to call pressing the emergency red button lol thanks NAsty). But we all kno that when a mk sees an oppenent running or stand by the edge they sometimes shuttle loop, thus allowing u to gimp.

Srry for bad quality.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Is it possible to follow up with a spike?
I only say this because it seems a little like they can still make it back to the ledge and glide attack?

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
Is it possible to follow up with a spike?
I only say this because it seems a little like they can still make it back to the ledge and glide attack?
well y3aa....but ud have to perfect shield the swoop which is much harder to time..in this case a regular shield or power shield will werk.

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
Interesting find. Can't the gimp be mixed up a bit with different characters, for example, marios cape?
well thats diff. thats with a cape just liike Pits shield...this can be done by every character..even the ones that don't have things that can reverse moves :)

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yea i see seibrik do this to other metaknights. most metaknights will glide to the other side but its easy to run across and grab the other side of the stage edge. but yea glide attack can mess things up o-o. still good **** tho!

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
You do not need to power shield.
Over half of the examples in the video hold shield the second they hear MK start the shuttle loop animation.
Secondly, MK isn't in a position to autograb the ledge in a lot of these, normally he is not under the ledge but under the stage completely. So I question how effective this can really be.
Still, it's nice to know we have it though.

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
NAsty messed up a couple of times...i guess we should do a proffessional vid to not cause problems or confusion.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
well thats diff. thats with a cape just liike Pits shield...this can be done by every character..even the ones that don't have things that can reverse moves :)
Thanx for answering my question. Since this is in the diddy boards, would diddy have enough time to land a saying if it may gimp mk faster before he auto grabs the ledge?

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
Sorry crazy typo I tried to fixed but can't on my phone =p
I ment a dair

Did you try marth because it may be possible to get a dair spike on mk

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
ninjalink did it with marth but that was done with a perfect shield.. for this tech u dont have to perfect shield....and yea maybe a dair would werk..try it..

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
A couple of things:

• If the Meta Knight that you are playing is consistently Shuttle Looping at that precise height where he his completely perpendicular to stage level upon completing his loop route, you are not playing a very smart MK player. The majority of MKs I've played at a high level will usually always reverse Shuttle Loop back onto stage, since it is a more difficult option to anticipate and punish, and it eliminates the risk of being edge-hogged as well as grants them their precious lag-cancel on Shuttle Loop. The only times MKs like Dojo and even M2K have Shuttle Looped at that height is when they are trying to stage-spike me out of my edge-hug; at that position, Shuttle Loop is nearly unpunishable.

• The other alternative I somewhat frequently see to reverse Shuttle Looping is Shuttle Looping just above stage level. This is the reaction I try to bait the most since the possibility of spiking MK out of SL with D-air suddenly becomes present with both power-shielding and quick reflexes. If I manage to bait the Shuttle Loop at this level but end up spot-dodging (which is what I usually do), I will F-air, B-air or U-smash depending on my positioning.
This is not to say that your technique doesn't work, but most high-level MKs that I know just don't Shuttle Loop at that level when they are trying to recover.

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
A couple of things:

• If the Meta Knight that you are playing is consistently Shuttle Looping at that precise height where he his completely perpendicular to stage level upon completing his loop route, you are not playing a very smart MK player. The majority of MKs I've played at a high level will usually always reverse Shuttle Loop back onto stage, since it is a more difficult option to anticipate and punish, and it eliminates the risk of being edge-hogged as well as grants them their precious lag-cancel on Shuttle Loop. The only times MKs like Dojo and even M2K have Shuttle Looped at that height is when they are trying to stage-spike me out of my edge-hug; at that position, Shuttle Loop is nearly unpunishable.

• The other alternative I somewhat frequently see to reverse Shuttle Looping is Shuttle Looping just above stage level. This is the reaction I try to bait the most since the possibility of spiking MK out of SL with D-air suddenly becomes present with both power-shielding and quick reflexes. If I manage to bait the Shuttle Loop at this level but end up spot-dodging (which is what I usually do), I will F-air, B-air or U-smash depending on my positioning.
This is not to say that your technique doesn't work, but most high-level MKs that I know just don't Shuttle Loop at that level when they are trying to recover.
yea i kno..thats y this tech isnt to really help pllz vs pro mk's..But lets face it there are more good/average ones then there are pro's...Thats wut this is for..

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
The good/average players tend to copy the pros, especially when it comes to recovery options. With most characters it would be smarter to tornado back to the stage in this situation anyway. Basically i'm saying exactly what thien said lol

Good find, but it leaves too many margins for error/options for MK.

Top Bottom