• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get more mental stamina?

L33thal

Smash Apprentice
Lately I've been noticing that after playing around 2 hours of friendlies, I would feel really gassed and fatigued mentally when playing tourney matches that actually matter. This wouldn't happen a year ago and a year before that I could play friendlies for 11-13 hours nonstop and not feel tired. Are there any exercises, things, etc. to help me get more mental stamina? Also, it's worth mentioning I put on around 30-40 pounds since around 2 years ago, but would physical health really affect mental state in Melee?

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Playing alot is somewhat physically exhausting and having to constantly think about what to do in a match burns you out. It could also be that frendlies get really boring for you.

I'd just say to take a very short break after a friendly to relax your mind, like just drink water or talk to someone to sort of refresh yourself. As for the weight gain, it could have changed your overall stamina for playing over long periods of time.

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Eat some food. Carbohydrates and protein help keep your hands and your mind going for hours on end.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
This is how you end up becoming a really baaaad player
On the contrary, this is how many top players create their strategies. There were a bunch of 50/50 situations created in brawl in juggles by ZeRo and m2k (and set plays are especially prevelant in this game). You can't base every single thing on footsies and reads; those are just the basics.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
On the contrary, this is how many top players create their strategies. There were a bunch of 50/50 situations created in brawl in juggles by ZeRo and m2k (and set plays are especially prevelant in this game). You can't base every single thing on footsies and reads; those are just the basics.
Wrong game buddy.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Develop flow charts (set plays) to stop working so hard.
This is how you end up becoming a really baaaad player
LUL you guys are both acting like children. Both flow charts and relying on reads and instinct are extremely important factors in the outcome of a game. The importance of each can fluctuate with each character m/u and stage selection, but when it boils down both are equally important.

HMWYBS

Smash Rookie
Lately I've been noticing that after playing around 2 hours of friendlies, I would feel really gassed and fatigued mentally when playing tourney matches that actually matter. This wouldn't happen a year ago and a year before that I could play friendlies for 11-13 hours nonstop and not feel tired. Are there any exercises, things, etc. to help me get more mental stamina? Also, it's worth mentioning I put on around 30-40 pounds since around 2 years ago, but would physical health really affect mental state in Melee?
ignoring the argument, I would most DEFINITELY say that physical health is a really big factor into mental fortitude. A fit body instills confidence, and regular exercise doesn't hurt for stamina in general. Don't sacrifice your body; instead, treat yourself well, exercise well, and practice efficiently. i guarantee that you'll feel better about yourself and about melee.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
LUL you guys are both acting like children. Both flow charts and relying on reads and instinct are extremely important factors in the outcome of a game. The importance of each can fluctuate with each character m/u and stage selection, but when it boils down both are equally important.
What a joke

And nowhere did I ever actually devalue reads and footsies; all I said was to try to develop some flow charts or setplays, as relying completely on reads and footsies isn't going to help him play any better. Play smarter, not harder.

You also cherry-picked my posts as well, but w/e.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
What a joke

And nowhere did I ever actually devalue reads and footsies; all I said was to try to develop some flow charts or setplays, as relying completely on reads and footsies isn't going to help him play any better. Play smarter, not harder.

You also cherry-picked my posts as well, but w/e.
The fact that you're fueling trolling is childish. But you're right about reads. I guess I misread it, but yeah even though reads have their place in competitive play flowcharting is important. As I said before, the importance of each depends on the matchup imo. For instance, marth vs fox depends more on "flowchart play" than actual reads. Falcon vs marth depends more on reads, at least for falcon.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
The fact that you're fueling trolling is childish. But you're right about reads. I guess I misread it, but yeah even though reads have their place in competitive play flowcharting is important. As I said before, the importance of each depends on the matchup imo. For instance, marth vs fox depends more on "flowchart play" than actual reads. Falcon vs marth depends more on reads, at least for falcon.
Hard to tell if trolling because it appeared he started getting serious (he was serious initially as well). And I agree to the MU-dependent variable, but it's best to form some sort of structure for every MU instead of free styling it, which takes serious mental prowess. It's harder to not freestyle though, as smash is so dynamic.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Maybe it really d-depends on how fun that game was for you 1 y-years ago. If it was really fun for you, then it could have d-drasmatically increased your average play time for each day, and your max energy. Worth mentioning is that the 'pounds' thing m-may have impacted you a lot. Weight may affect a lot your average energy and average play time.

Probably in this t-time it wasn't as fun as a y-year ago. Maybe you've done something important, like getting in h-high school, or if you've got a j-job (these can affect how much you can p-play, expect in Summer).

For some reason, I d-don't feel tired when I play a game, and nothing hurts when I play for a long t-time. Back in years ago, when I would play 2D games, I would feel fine, but w-when I tried 3D games for first times, I got slight nausea and I n-nearly vomited. This problem has since been adressed as playing 3D games now makes me smile, instead of harming me.

TLDR: Important f-factors that impacts your mental stamina are:

1. How much you play games (Longer game sessions tends to give you more stamina. I could probably last a whole 10 hours playing a 3D game)
2. How early did you get to play games (As a adult it may take alot getting used to it. Fortunately, I was a kid when I got a Nintendo DS, so it's all well...)
3. Your diet (Being lighter tends to give more mental stamina. I'm pretty light, so I think I have a lot of mental stamina)

These f-factor are all of what I know in my knowledge. If you wish to l-learn more, please go to Wikipedia and search the mental energy, or something like that.

I h-hope this has been helpful to you...

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
How to get more mental stamina?

It's very simple in a theoretical perspective, but hard in the application and it slows down your training when it comes to advanced techniques.

"Goku" : May I have a great power, but what good is it, if I can't catch up my enemy, it takes more than brute strength to win a fight and transformations waste a lot of energy, you have been finding that out yourself when you turned into Super Saiyan, it's not easy right? we can't afford to waste all that energy, but at the same times we need the Super Saiyan Power, you see, somehow we have to get to a point where it feels natural to be a Super Saiyan, so that we can stay like that all the time, I want you to try being a Super Saiyan for the whole day, will slow down our training until it stops feeling SO WEIRD.

What I'm trying to say with this, is that you must practice standards combos, basic things all the time, so that you accustom yourself till it doesn't consume your mental stamina, till it feels natural.

Only of this way, you can ascend to the next level and apply advanced combinations and techniques without straining your mental output that fast, those providing a liquid and superior gaming level, it also provides you the possibility to applicate advanced combinations more often without losing your timing or straining your awareness that much during the battle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom