• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get into competitive Smash 4?

Nintendoer

Smash Rookie
NNID
WakerOfWindsHD
I've been playing Smash for a long time, but I think I want to get into competitive Smash 4. What would be the best way to improve to tournament level play, and how would I do that?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'm a competitive casual myself, but I think I still might be able to offer you some helpful advice. What you want to do first is join a Smashcord of your mains and/or secondaries if you haven't already. This way, you'll be able to build up your experience with your characters, allowing you to soar to greater heights. You should practice daily, and have people critique your gameplay so that you can see where you went wrong and how to improve it. Learn matchups and stage strategies, too. Also, be sure to register in as much online tourneys as possible so that you can get an idea what it feels like to play competitively against other players. Or, if you just absolutely despise online tourneys, then try to go to as much locals as you can. Hope this helps!

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Take everything the discords say with a grain of salt.

I would recommend going to tournaments whenever you can. Nothing beats experience. Don't expect to win. Its better in the long run than the "I want to win mentality."

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
Izaw and Zangoosite both have great guides on it. Super Smash Accademy has a few universal videos that can be used to learn more about the games, a lot of the concepts from the SSBM Tutorials guides on Neutral and getting better as a whole are aplicable to Smash 4, chanels like Beefy Smash Doods and MySmashCorner have good videos on a lot of more specific tech that you can use, and there are some good text guides on this site for general, like Advanced Reading, 5 Tips and Tricks for the Smash Newcomer and The-x-r00ki3's rainbow road to competitive smash.

Top Bottom