• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get better?

Violet556

Smash Rookie
So I have just recently gotten into smash a couple weeks ago. I understand that smash takes a lot of practice, but I just don't understand how to practice. I would practice in solo for hours on end and still just get destroyed by everyone online. They block every one of my moves and I barely get 3 hits on them. I just feel like im focusing on the wrong thing and they jusy know what Im going to do before I even do them. Please help, I really do want to get into this game, but Im a little frustrated because I feel like my practice has 0 results. Dont just say watch youtube because I have probably watched hours on end of tutorials broad and character specific but still nothing.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Yeah...Youtube is only one piece to the puzzle. Y'all can check the SSB4 character threads to learn match-ups, advanced techniques, etc. But the most important thing is adapting to your opponent. Now, as any Smasher (especially tournament-level ones, and no, I'm not competitive at all) will attest, adaptation to opponent's tactics is the key. Same can be said for any other fighting game.

Keep practicing; don't expect to see results right away. It may take weeks or even months to improve.

Last edited:

Violet556

Smash Rookie
Yeah...Youtube is only one piece to the puzzle. Y'all can check the SSB4 character threads to learn match-ups, advanced techniques, etc. But the most important thing is adapting to your opponent. Now, as any Smasher (especially tournament-level ones, and no, I'm not competitive at all) will attest, adaptation to opponent's tactics is the key. Same can be said for any other fighting game.

Keep practicing; don't expect to see results right away. It may take weeks or even months to improve.
Okay, I guess I'll just keep doing what Im doing. In a month I'll see if I improved at all. Just super frustrating getting beat over and over on for glory 1v1.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Lol nah

You haven't really done the right practice. The practive you've done was mostly just working on execution. realize that there is a dance to fighting and that requires two aware human beings. You got to take focus away from yourself and be aware of your opponent. Watch habits and patterns, corner them, watch matches and observe, etc...

It also helps to play someone who's easy to play. So, I recommend going on a 30 day "challenge." For 30 days or so, you should play someone basic, like :4pit:. Learn his moveset, and just play people a ton. Record videos of you and watch them. See where you get hit, know why you got hit, and see how you can stop getting hit like that. Such questions are really open-ended and vary endlessly on situation, but just remember you're always playing to learn and understand , not to win.

Top Bottom