• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick DePaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
nickzaroo
3DS FC
3239-4036-3837
I have NEVER played for glory and reading people's comments makes me unsure. I want to play to get better but I keep thinking im going to fight a foreigner and lose cause they dodge and well... are experts I need tips to improve and I want a online coach/ anyone commenting so if anyone wants to exchange Friend Codes tell me if you added me and ill add you back.

I am starting to get into Corrin and Beyenetta but like to play as others. I don't even know who's my main and who I should really find one. I like to be offensive but love counters and other defensive ones ( I can only come up with ZZSamus flip jump.) I prefer if you guys want to figure out a main ASK ME QUESTIONS ou determine but as long as you get me one that's not Mario or Lugi ill be good (DLC I have Beyennetta, Mewtwo, Cloud, Corrin, and Ryu)

Thx in advance

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
find a character that suits you the most, don't just pick every character you like and bring them online because you might not be use to playing them. You can also check out the character boards for combos and match-up discussion

-Omega

Smash Rookie
first of all: "I want to play to get better but I keep thinking im going to fight a foreigner and lose"
that's stupid.
1. you're very likely to find a foreinger. the problem? who cares XD? that doesn't even matter.
2. you're gonna loose? well, yeah. everybody looses. and not just when starting, all the time. thats the point of the game. one wins, the other one looses.
and you should not care about what a random person you found on FG (for glory) could posibly think about you. you (or he/she) will leave the room sooner or later and you wont ever again remember or see each other. and if you feel they are behaving unpropietly (hope i spelt that right), you just leave.

well, now that that's out of the way:

i was going to suggest you to try out mario, as he is not a very balances and relatively simple character but he is about top 10 in the game. but i guess not, huh?
idk, you could try with pit/dark pit, C. falcon or lucina. they are, as well, kind of simpler characters, easy to learn to get into the game.
because, bayo... not exactly the best choice for a begginer. she is one of the hardest characters to use. corrin, meh. i guess is not that bad to start. though he/she has some stranger mechanics than the rest o the cast.

to get better? idk, just play. you may as well start with a computer, and then move on to FG, or get online straight away.
you'll need to know the basics of the game (that's including smash vocabulary (if you're new, you should really look for a guide (or video) on this(this one i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRbvCVVSVEk it's not the best one, but it'll do))).
assuming that's done, you'll need to now learn the basics of your character. again, start with a simple one.
see which things are good (good killmoves, aproach options, out-of-shield options or just safe attacks that won't get you punished for missing), and which aren't.
combos, maybe strategies, tips you can find here (in smashboards) or all over youtube (maybe check out JTails and/or AceStarThe3rd for general references). watch for some higher level gameplay aswell, be it good player on FG (like the YTers mentioned above), or actual tournament sets. VGBootCamp, Tourney Locator and CLASH Tournaments are three YT channels that upload the latter (and not only SSB4 but PM and Mele aswell, if you were interested in those).
i'd say "go into training mode and practice", but unless you want to get REALLY into the competitive, that's not necesary. you are better learning the fundamentals for now. you can learn by doing. and let's accept it, training mode is boring...

(this last paragraph is a little more in depth than the lievel i think you're in right now, but read it anyway, because it's about one of the fundamentals of a, at least, decent smash player)
and then, once you got yout character down, you have to learn that smash is way beyond the character you use. thats one of the reasons why the tier list isn't THAT important. it's a lot more about the players. you have to try to make as less mistakes as possible. but that doesn't JUST mean "avoid doing unsafe/stupid things", things like being predictable (by doing the same thing over and over) can get you into trouble if the oponent finds out yout pattern. that's why it's important to not be doing always the same thing, keep it fresh, be unexpected.
and the same goes for you. if you can figure out your oponent's flaws, patterns and things lie that, you can punish them
(of course, this last thing doesn't apply to CPUs, as they dont try to read your movement nor have set patterns (except for some ones like peach or ness... god, how i hate thos CPUs). they just react with god-like precission. I play on 8, 'cause 9 is unbearable and boring (8, a little bit less))

Last edited:

Nick DePaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
nickzaroo
3DS FC
3239-4036-3837
first of all: "I want to play to get better but I keep thinking im going to fight a foreigner and lose"
that's stupid.
1. you're very likely to find a foreinger. the problem? who cares XD? that doesn't even matter.
2. you're gonna loose? well, yeah. everybody looses. and not just when starting, all the time. thats the point of the game. one wins, the other one looses.
and you should not care about what a random person you found on FG (for glory) could posibly think about you. you (or he/she) will leave the room sooner or later and you wont ever again remember or see each other. and if you feel they are behaving unpropietly (hope i spelt that right), you just leave.

well, now that that's out of the way:

i was going to suggest you to try out mario, as he is not a very balances and relatively simple character but he is about top 10 in the game. but i guess not, huh?
idk, you could try with pit/dark pit, C. falcon or lucina. they are, as well, kind of simpler characters, easy to learn to get into the game.
because, bayo... not exactly the best choice for a begginer. she is one of the hardest characters to use. corrin, meh. i guess is not that bad to start. though he/she has some stranger mechanics than the rest o the cast.

to get better? idk, just play. you may as well start with a computer, and then move on to FG, or get online straight away.
you'll need to know the basics of the game (that's including smash vocabulary (if you're new, you should really look for a guide (or video) on this(this one i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRbvCVVSVEk it's not the best one, but it'll do))).
assuming that's done, you'll need to now learn the basics of your character. again, start with a simple one.
see which things are good (good killmoves, aproach options, out-of-shield options or just safe attacks that won't get you punished for missing), and which aren't.
combos, maybe strategies, tips you can find here (in smashboards) or all over youtube (maybe check out JTails and/or AceStarThe3rd for general references). watch for some higher level gameplay aswell, be it good player on FG (like the YTers mentioned above), or actual tournament sets. VGBootCamp, Tourney Locator and CLASH Tournaments are three YT channels that upload the latter (and not only SSB4 but PM and Mele aswell, if you were interested in those).
i'd say "go into training mode and practice", but unless you want to get REALLY into the competitive, that's not necesary. you are better learning the fundamentals for now. you can learn by doing. and let's accept it, training mode is boring...

(this last paragraph is a little more in depth than the lievel i think you're in right now, but read it anyway, because it's about one of the fundamentals of a, at least, decent smash player)
and then, once you got yout character down, you have to learn that smash is way beyond the character you use. thats one of the reasons why the tier list isn't THAT important. it's a lot more about the players. you have to try to make as less mistakes as possible. but that doesn't JUST mean "avoid doing unsafe/stupid things", things like being predictable (by doing the same thing over and over) can get you into trouble if the oponent finds out yout pattern. that's why it's important to not be doing always the same thing, keep it fresh, be unexpected.
and the same goes for you. if you can figure out your oponent's flaws, patterns and things lie that, you can punish them
(of course, this last thing doesn't apply to CPUs, as they dont try to read your movement nor have set patterns (except for some ones like peach or ness... god, how i hate thos CPUs). they just react with god-like precission. I play on 8, 'cause 9 is unbearable and boring (8, a little bit less))
Thank you I will look into that I am experienced I understand spamming juggling, short hops, tilt etc. etc. etc.

HYP3R

Smash Lord
There's nothing wrong with playing on For Glory for practice.

People SUGGEST you don't play on it because it will teach you bad habits such as rolling everywhere for example.
There's also the fact that everyone that plays on FG has a sky high ego and will probably badmouth you using the nicknames.

I recommend asking for matches at whichever thread you play the most on.
3DS: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ng-thread-find-opponents-here.340319/page-524
WII U: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-nnid-sharing-thread-find-opponents-here.356271/page-261

People on this website are much more friendly than kids on For Glory and if you're lucky they'll even give you some tips on what you can do to improve.

If you play on Wii U I'll see you around.

Also, as for deciding on your main, make it easier on yourself and just play as whoever you are most comfortable with. Kirby is not a top tier character in Smash 4 at all, but Kirby is the most fun for me to use. This game is more balanced than any other Smash game so your character choice does not matter to an extent.

Last edited:

GR8gamer

Smash Rookie
As for finding a main i suggest going into training mode and testing out with different characters until you find someone that you feel very comfortable with. For its Captain Falcon.:4falcon:

i find that the best way to improve in any competitive game is play against a player that is better and/or more experienced than you. Yes, it is probable that you will lose, sometimes by a lot, but thats okay! By losing you are more likely to learn something new and how to use this knowledge to your advantage! (Saving replays and looking back at your mistakes helps with this a lot!)

Hyp3r made good points regarding for glory, its possible to learn bad habits. Going to forums here to get someone to play against is ideally the best way to find good opponents. Going to a tournament is also an option, but more of an ordeal.

I hope this information helps you!:)

Shogak

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5129-1705-4311
i find that the best way to improve in any competitive game is play against a player that is better and/or more experienced than you. Yes, it is probable that you will lose, sometimes by a lot, but thats okay! By losing you are more likely to learn something new and how to use this knowledge to your advantage!
This cannot be stressed enough. Lets face it, losing sucks, but each loss is a valuable learning experience. Being able to save replays is awesome because you can see how you react to your opponents. You can ask yourself, "how did he set that up?" "What can I do to keep that from happening in the future?"

Although FG isn't the best place to develop your game, I'd say its infinitely better than cpus because, at the end of the day, they just iterate though the same algorithms in combat. Nothing can replicate the unpredictability, tension, and feeling of satisfaction when you're fighting another player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom