• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get better with Marth, in mirror matchups

Plak

Smash Rookie
NNID
FreezingHero
Hi, so I was wondering if there were any concrete strategies or ideas I should be aware of if i'm stuck in a marth mirror matchup? I cannot seem to consistently defeat my opponents, and wanted to ask for help? If you also want to know, i'm new to playing smash melee at a higher/faster/competitive level, which is the reason for my inexperience. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks

spevak

Smash Rookie
Thank you, quick question. What is tech-chasing?
Tech chasing is when you react to your opponent's tech and get a follow up based on which option they choose (tech in place, tech roll left or right, or no tech.

The first step is to position yourself where you can cover all the tech options (for example, if you are far to one side of them, you will not be able to cover tech roll away because they will be too far when they finish the roll. Next, you have to know what move you will use to cover each option, and prepare yourself to input that follow up as soon as you can tell which tech option they did.

Million

Smash Rookie
Being a marth main in melee I think the ditto defines whether or not your actually a good marth. Not that it does, but its my personal opinion. Therefore I grind with all my local marth players alot since its also my fave MU being 80-80 and amazing.

Anyways technically the main problems in a marth matchup are the approach.

1.Approaches can be started with any of the following
a. Movement with wavedashes and dash dances to a GRAB
b. Down tilt
c. Bait and punish, (generally off of movement)

Down tilt is the best lagless move to start an approach off of. It can be done fastest out of a wavedash
or you can dash dance and simply hold down on control stick to crouch cancel the dash and then
hit a slower down tilt.
This is my favorite option because it leads to so many options.
If opponent shields, go for a wavedash grab. If he doesnt, you can combo into a forward tilt into fair... so on death
if he wavedashes back you get stage control and win anyways.

The main problem with marth IMO is that he doesnt have a good approach because if he misses his first hit
his moves come out so slow that your dead in an experienced set if your opponent gets in.
Therefore most of marths game is really about letting the opponent make a move or forcing him to.
Thus the need for CRISPY movement to make them bring out an attack and then rush a JC grab or punish depending on what they do.

JC Grabs with marth having the most effective grab in the game means in a ditto you really just playing out who has the better grab. (btw JC grabs are a must!!!!)

This means that to win an approach and ultimate lead into a combo off grab you need to play PATIENT wait for your opponent to swing then...

grab uptilt, aerial, aerial, aerial, Dair or edgeguard. PUNISHment

:pP

hope that helps!!
you can practice alot of this on CPU marth too since his grab as a CPU is better in reaction than standard players.
After you have approach options down, simply learn the combo weight and what moves you can do, then
focus all out on punishment (combo leading to death) which is the most important thing as Armada says

-Million <3

Top Bottom