• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Get Better Video Quality Online

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is sort of annoyed with the quality YouTube continues to provide us. Sure it's a great service and millions of people are on it, but there are plenty of other options out there. I have tested plenty of services and I found that Blip TV (www.blip.tv) is definitely one of the best services out there. It still has the 100mb limit that YouTube does, but the quality is soooo much better, and there is no 10 minute time limit like YouTube.

Blip TV uses Flash 8 video compared to YouTube's Flash 7, and if your still not content with that, you can stream the originally uploaded file. So say I have a high quality WMV file that I upload, everyone can either watch (or download) that high quality WMV or you can watch the converted Flash 8 video file, so it's compatible with web browsers such as the one on the Wii. Also, since on YouTube you can only watch the converted flash version, you have to wait until your video is done processing so people can watch it. Processing takes a little bit longer on Blip TV, but you can still watch the original file before the processing is done.

Blip TV is also ad free, but you can choose to put different types of ads on your pages. However, if someone clicks on these links, you actually get part of the revenue! I just have a real little ad below my video and I don't think I have any clicks yet, but I'm glad that they are willing to share their wealth with the users.

The only real downside to this is the amount of users. If you search SSBM on Blip TV, the only videos you will find are ones uploaded by myself. However, even though not as many people will find your matches by searching, most of the time we just post direct links on these forums anyway so it's not a big issue. Also, if we use this enough, Blip TV will get a big enough library of smash videos that it will be easy to go their randomly to search for smash videos like it is on YouTube. With Brawl coming in less than 4 months, we should work on getting used to using Blip TV. Why should such nice clips be forced to be spread in such low quality.

Other options are DivX's Stage 6, with amazing video quality, but you can only upload DivX files. They offer a free tool to convert your videos to DivX, but it's an extra step not required on Blip TV. Also, simpler browsers such as the one on the Wii or PS3 aren't compatible with Stage 6.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
people arent going to stop using youtube.
thats fine.
but for at LEAST for longer videos, stage6 is the way to go.
well no, people shouldnt stop using youtube because of so many people using it, your videos get much more views. personally i upload them to blip tv and youtube. youtube for random ppl to see, and blip to spread links for because the video quality is just so much better.

ThaT

Smash Cadet
im uploading all my stuff on blip.tv and in my youtube description putting the link

Top Bottom