• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

??? how to get an advanced player ???

ManZle

Smash Rookie
What's the best way to start practising?

I watched the 30 mins, advanced player guide serveral times. But all this complex techniques, I simply don't know where to start!
It's easy to practice them one after in other in training mode, but using them ingame (in a useful way) is very hard!

how did you start your advanced SSBM career?

Markkk

Smash Rookie
I would help you with Marth techniques, whoever it was who was asking for them, but I used Marth only ONCE to get Roy. Other than that I always used Roy. Can you help me with Event Match 50: Final Destination Match: it's so freaking hard!

Smash Master
Start with the basics. Practice shorthopping until you get it on command. Then the same with fastfalling, then l-cancelling. SHFFL is probably the first step toward advanced play with any character.

ManZle

Smash Rookie
ok so I will try to do SHFFLing even in matches against other players until I got this part :p

EDIT: and sorry for this massive grammar error in the title ;) noticed it right after posting!

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
for SHFFL practice, just do each thing separately and start combining things once you get used to one of them (its easier to learn with slower fallers imo, but do what you want).

for practicing wavedash as well as application, do it in as many matches as you can as often as you can. the first tournament i went to, all i did was wavedash and id say it helped a bit :laugh:.

for everything else, just figure out what you think would be most useful and start to learn it. try learning one new technique a day so you dont forget anything or overdo it.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
You should learn to shuffle first.

It's four movements in quick succession:

1. Jump (X or Y)
2. Aerial (A or Cstick)
3. Fastfall (joystick down)*
4. L-cancel (L or R)

Some aerials you may want to switch steps 2 and 3 (eg: Falco's Down Aerial)

Wavedashing is all about practice; getting it down to one motion.

Shazz

Smash Journeyman
I think you should learn to wavedash first, because its potential is far more noticable for the non-pro Smashers than shffl'ing I think.

Try wavedashing with Luigi and Ice Climbers (relatively easy to WD with, and whether you did it right or not is very easy to see, as they glide on the ground quite a bit when wavedashing) first, then move on to other characters.

Applying it to trick your opponents requires you to just play, play, play vs. humans.

psicicle

Smash Ace
order or importance of advanced stuff:

1) Shieldgrab

2) JC Grab

2) SHFFL

3) Wavedash/waveland

4) Dashdance

As you can see, it gets more difficult to use effectivly as you move down the list, so start with number 1.

I think these are all the major advanced techs, of course there are others like WD to edgehog but those are relatively minor. These 4 are a good place to start.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Basically, it's all been stated. I started with Wavedashing but that's just me. If I'da been smarter, I would have started with shorthopping and fastfalling. If only............

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Actually, i think the dash dance should be learned directly after jc grabs, and before shffls. DDing into jc grabs is one way to make you extremely better really fast and easily. Plus it starts you on the right track to mastering mental aspects of this game.

monkey and co.

Smash Apprentice
ok u mite know how to do this and that but hwen do u do it?!
the best way to learn is to watch videos. spam those videos. that's the best best best way to improve fast. training mode and stuff is just getting those moves down. no move is that hard that in a week of practice can't be learned, but if u don't no when to do what move ur just gonna be a noob with an occasional dd or cool run wdash back fsmash. but watching vids will teach u what the best option in this condition is. make sure u watch all character vids so u won't be suprised when u see peach floating a foot off the ground spanking ur ***.

:D

m2smart

Smash Rookie
just practice, try using yoshi's down A move, kill the hand on the left first.

if u think this one is hard, just wait and see until u get to event match 51

mukoe890

Smash Apprentice
I would help you with Marth techniques, whoever it was who was asking for them, but I used Marth only ONCE to get Roy. Other than that I always used Roy. Can you help me with Event Match 50: Final Destination Match: it's so freaking hard!
use ganondorfs upsmash. all the way charged gives close to 50 percent on the hands.
definately practice shffling first. and when you start wavedashing do it with luigi. to get used to it with marth just run up to a human/ cpu sometimes works player and wavedash backwards. move with small steps

Binx

Smash Master
I would figure out which character you want to be, make sure its someone you like, then learn all of their movements, they dash their jump, how fast you have to press jump to short hop, learn to shield effectively, Shffl, then eventually learn to wavedash and do character specific training in between. Make sure and never play against computers that are higher than level 5, and I usually use level 1s for training when I am alone. It is always better to practice with people though, good luck.

Top Bottom