• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Finish with Sonic?

Pivot

Godfather
3DS FC
4742-5223-3550
What's up guys? I know asking single-questions in a topic is frowned upon, but I wasn't quite sure where else to ask. Anyway, I'm coming from Lucario obviously, and I decided to pick up another main. It took a while to stop SD'ing from an attempted d-air spike, and a while longer yet to not overshoot my grabs by 1/4th the length of FD. However, in games now I have a more technical problem.

I find that in For Glory often times I completely outplay my opponent, but end up losing due to not being able to finish. My opponents are constantly at around 150% before they die, and one D3 was at 190% once. I ended up losing still.

It seems like our f-smash is our only viable KO move, unless b-air counts (however, that is too situational for me to be steadily relied on). I know u-smash is supposed to be great with its invincibility frames and all, but honestly I have hardly hit with that move. Opponents just don't like to land right on me when falling, and unless I'm right up on them I don't really see it working otherwise. D-smash I was told is bad unless under select circumstances, which I'm too new to recognize yet.

How do you guys finish when it comes to that moment in the game where you're like "yeah, I seriously have to kill this guy now" (150%~)?

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Bthrow kills. Actually, Sonic has far more moves that KO now, so he's much more threatening this time around.

Fsmash and Usmash are both viable KO moves (Uthrow moreso than Fsmash in terms of power and knocback).
Bair kills, and Uair even kills more easily. Spring combos are buffed up all around.

Bthrow has been one of my personal favorites, as I constantly go for grabs as Sonic.

:093:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
If the person has good DI then Forward Throw may not work even at high percents. Though it also depends on weight. Try Back Throw, Pivot Forward Smash, Up Smash is my go to move because it kills the best in my opinion, Bair, and even stage spiking Fair works.

Grab the Hedgehog.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Don't find fthrow good at all.
Off stage game is undertouted. Recovery in this game is good to the point most characters can recover whatever happens, but hitting a character with an aerial offstage even if it isn't a 'gimp' is still gonna knock bare % off of you killing.
Bthrow tho, if not situational for a kill, totally legit.

:077:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
This will be easier on the Wii U, but I hear he has a pretty solid Dacus. So that may solve your Usmash problems. Other than that, I don't play him sooo, I just came to see what others had to say :D

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Only mentioned Fthrow because it's viable on stages with low ceilings (should have mentioned that).

Bthrow is the sexiest though.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Killing with Fthrow is so good due to the sheer wtfness it causes. It's so fast, it's so simple and yet, so satisfying.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Probably worth testing (at a later point) what % Sonic's throws can kill w/ and w/o DI (vectoring?) on different characters.

I'm just glad Fthrow got more killing potential in this game. Back in the old days you would just put people on your head to kill them with throws.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I noticed Fthrow isn't really viable against good opponents until 150% (stage dependent). Still an option though!

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Bthrow kills. Actually, Sonic has far more moves that KO now, so he's much more threatening this time around.

Fsmash and Usmash are both viable KO moves (Uthrow moreso than Fsmash in terms of power and knocback).
Bair kills, and Uair even kills more easily. Spring combos are buffed up all around.

Bthrow has been one of my personal favorites, as I constantly go for grabs as Sonic.

Trollolololol

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
#SONICSPEEEEEED

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Better than Brawl d-smash. Good punishing move. Sends at a good horizontal angle, but doesn't have enough knockback to be considered a top option for kos.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
tbqh, I kind of prefer the old Dsmash. Sure it was slower and wasn't a good option to cover both sides but it was awesome to use that to score a kill. I'd rather have that with extra KO power than what we have now.

Plus, it looked waaaay cooler (at least when compared to the 3DS graphics).

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I thought brawl dsmash was a lot better for punishing. Haven't found a good use for the new one, in theory craft it's knockback should wreck characters with poor horizontal recovery but it's landing it I find an issue.

Last edited:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
New D-Smash is good for spot dodge punishes though I still have love for the Brawl D-Smash. To be REALLY honest. I wish we had the PM D-Smash. It is so good.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I definitely don't use Dsmash often, but maybe that's because I'm just not used to it. I find it always has less range than I think it's going to have... I almost always whiff. It also has pretty pathetic knockback tbh.

Old Dsmash seems like it might've been better for punishing rolls.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
The only thing Brawl dsmash has over the new one is some range. The move took much longer to end. Wasn't any stronger than the new one and that was just on first hit. Later hits were very weak. It also sent up and away, which is obviously less ideal than the new one. New dsmash is better in almost every way. It's just still not good enough to be that go to move.

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
I don't mind the changed Dsmash. The old one was fine, but I don't miss the startup on it. While the new isn't as fast as a space animal's I still find it a good way to punish spot dodges or rolls. Even so, I don't use it terrible often.

Top Bottom