• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to find an opening to punish.

litlwing

Smash Apprentice
It is safe to say that Ganon, does best (or more so he can only) punish people when they are open. So what do we do? We look for an opening. I've been seeing things recently about ways to fight as Ganon, how to play smart, whittling away with attacks when we get the chance, racking up damage...

The most important thing about doing those things though is being able to get in that first attack to open up more windows. As Ganon mains, Most people here (the tourny players in particular) should be experts on punishing.

I want to open this as a discussion for how to punish and find and hit those openings the opponent makes. We could even address the openings of all characters and the best way to, not really approach, but more a course of action against whatever the opponent can do.

For example (and I have very little tourny experience, so the experts opinions are welcomed and easily override mine): When I fight snake, it is extremely hard to get to him due to his range, priority, and spam. The air is where I personally feel safe as Ganon so I try to fight there. However, snakes aerials are as absurd as his tilts... except for his d-air.

I try to take advantage of this, and it seems to work quiet well, He still has his c4 for attacking below him, but that is more dangerous in theory then in practice (in my experience at least).

I would find it hard to believe that many people could argue that Ganon's up-air is not his best aerial, if not best move, and against what I feel to be snakes worse aerial, the d-air, the window we have been looking for is open.

Like I said, I am no expert and my experience is limited. I have no illusions of grandeur just because I can handily beat my group of friends or everyone in a few small tournaments. I would like the discussion of the high level players to contribute to this (I'd like to learn as much as I can from everyones experience as possible).

Ganan may suck bawlz, but I'd like to think he could suck a little less.

litlwing

Smash Apprentice
I have to, particularly when the opponent is committed to something and they fly into the vacuum, then they panic... and then they die.

But really, Every character has some kind of opening, where are they most open? does anyone even think about this?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Sonic may be a ***** to hit, but if he is at some point using a Spin Dash, then all you have to do is wait for the spin dash, guard it, and then hit him when he comes down from the air.

'cause Sonic sucks in the air and he sucks finding a landing.

Trouble is, he never has to release a Spin Dash. And you can't hope to get over to the other side, not even with FoG. So if he doesn't get predictable with the release, it's luck whether you get hit or not.

Wizkick is awesome.

Attack his recovery, but don't get into a position where you're coming back and he's safe above you, 'cause he'll disrespect you with a BAir.

Top Bottom