• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

???How to escape an IC Chaingrab????

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Any tips, I usually main Mario, Ike and Meta Knight.

I always get caught in between the Nana's Fair and Popo's grab. He usually can get me to the edge where he Meteor smashes me down.

Any tips of escape?

BbqCombo

Smash Apprentice
Im still practicing chain grabs, but im guessing spammming retreating fireballs would be annoying :/ seperate them and kill nana fast or else they can CG you to death.

Dont expect much in-depth stuff though since this is the IC board. If you want in-depth, go to the mario, MK or w/e boards.

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
Their back throw, down throw, and forward throw chains are all infinite grabs. The only thing you can do is mash as many buttons as possible and make lots of noise in an attempt to spook the guy whose chain grabbing you enough so that he messes up.

There are two things you can do to avoid the chain grab though. If you use Mario or Ike, keep the Ice climbers separated as much as possible. They can't chain grab you if they aren't together. As soon as you separate them, go after Nana and try to kill her / keep her away from Popo.

With Metaknight you have a second option - don't get grabbed. He has almost no start up or ending lag on his aerials, and he can stay in the air almost forever. Just stay in the air and use his aerials / tornado to rack up damage and use the shuttle loop to kill them. MK is one of the few characters that are extremely hard to grab with the Ice Climbers.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
Is there a rule against that in tournaments, like while they are chaingrabbing can I seriously just start making loud noises and act all crazy.

I think that is the only true way to get out of it.

Or make it legal that as long as a character is grabbed you can use one hand and attack the other persons controller and try to press a direction they don't want to throw you.

Finch

Smash Lord
To actually answer your question, there are three things you can do:

1. Meteor cancel the fair

2. DI the fair. I haven't tested this, but maybe you can SDI the fair up or something so it doesn't spike?

3. Don't stand near the edge and get grabbed at low percentages. He can only regrab you from the nana fair at below ~36 percent. Any higher and you can tech.

Miller

Smash Lord
Wait, why would We, IC mains, tell you, someone who cant play well against IC, advice on how to beat Our Character

Ill say one thing

Dont get grabbed

Roy-G-Biv

Smash Journeyman
Well, seemingly, the only charater that can break a CG is the ICs.

1. Unless he killed your Nana, she can interfere with the CG and screw the entire thing up.

2. The ICs is made up of 2 sepearate charaters, which supports the fact above.

3. When Popo is grabbed (Popo is the blue one you control), you can control Nana to start another temprary Down Grab CG, enough time to let Popo escape and join the other to start another CG.

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
Is there a rule against that in tournaments, like while they are chaingrabbing can I seriously just start making loud noises and act all crazy.

I think that is the only true way to get out of it.

Or make it legal that as long as a character is grabbed you can use one hand and attack the other persons controller and try to press a direction they don't want to throw you.
Yeah there probably is a rule against doing that at tournaments. It still works in friendlies though :laugh:

Switch FC
SW 1721 4573 3132
Easiest way to escape is...

1. Don't get grabbed in the first place.

2. Keep a distance.

3. They might mess up eventually.

4. Keep trying to press UP + B.

5. Use the Ice Climbers...keep Nana at your side the whole time. If not, you're screwed.

Works for me haha.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
In the SBR, we've begun to notice a few things about breaking grabs, but nobody has gone through and tested things out yet. It seems that there are 2 things people have been throwing around here and there: Timing the A button, or timing the shield button, at the same time as you're grabbed results in you breaking the grab. Of course, I'm not talking about grabs breaking because of elevation differences.

If someone here would like to test this out some more, please do. And try not to use training mode, it seems there are quite a few things that are different in training mode for some reason.

Will somebody please test this out? I have posted this in at least 4 threads on here and even on AiB and it seems like people are uninterested in this possible discovery. This would be the ultimate answer for escaping a CG if it truly works.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
i read this somewhere else...
either use link or toon link and have a bomb in your hands (it will eventually blow up and stop the grab)
or
use the ice climbers becuase Nana will rescue you if you get grabbed.

besides that, there's nothing i know that can stop it.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Will somebody please test this out? I have posted this in at least 4 threads on here and even on AiB and it seems like people are uninterested in this possible discovery. This would be the ultimate answer for escaping a CG if it truly works.
I've been trying it. Not getting any results.

It would just wreck ICs anyway. =(

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I've been trying it. Not getting any results.

It would just wreck ICs anyway. =(
I know it would potentially wreck the ICG but it just seemed like people weren't even trying to test and see if it worked or not. Have you tried it on every character yet?

TrikELotus

Smash Apprentice
Can you airdodge immediately after the throw like you can with many other things? Dodging Fair = No CG

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
You are still in hitstun when they regrab you, so you can't air dodge or DI out of it. SDI doesn't move you enough to escape it either, but it probably helps a bit.

Top Bottom