• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with turnips

WeaselKing

Smash Rookie
Can someone please help me out? my friend plays peach and he is very turnip heavy, but i dont know how to deal with them other than grabbing them mid air but as we all know marth's throw is awful. So what should I do against turnips?

rolltorest

Smash Rookie
You have several options to deal with turnips
  • Catch - This becomes better if you can do the catch + instant z drop
  • Shield - The biggest mistake most marths make when they shield turnips is staying in shield too long. After the turnip hits your shield you should wavedash oos
  • Hit the turnip - the mixup here is whether you fade forward or backwards when hitting a turnip. Going forward with a nair works if the peach comes in right after throwing the turnip but if they recognize you are going forward and hitting the turnip they can punish your landing lag
  • Run to a platform - This can work but if peach can get under you this becomes a risky option
  • Dash dance away from the turnip - Works as long as you have a lot of stage control already
There is no 1 right option for dealing with turnips, catch + instant z drop is the closest to being the best option but it is the hardest to execute and punishes you hard for failing. In general the best way to beat turnips is hitting peach when she tries to pull one, which means you need to stay reasonably close to her in neutral

Life

Smash Hero
Yeah, the big one is basically "keep pressing her so she can't pull them." Can't go too hard though, her punishes are still pretty good and her, for lack of a better word, "burst" (can't bring myself to call it "burst movement" because the threat bubble is so small) is pretty threatening within a certain range--Marth's threat bubble is bigger than hers, though, so if you can keep close enough to hit her out of turnip pull but far enough that she can't feasibly hit you without telegraphing herself, you'll win neutral.

Top Bottom