• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with spam?

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I usually find that fullhopping and not using your second jump is a good way to avoid projectiles and still have a little control (Since his second jump is floaty as hell and using it unneeded can put you in a lot of trouble.). Also remember that your F-smash is a reflector, and that PK fire can eat a lot of projectiles - the second hitbox being notoriously good at hitting villager players through Tree/Lloid in my experience.

-and remember, powershielding might be your friend, but use it wisely and always have an OOS option. (N-air is usually pretty good and can lead to followups.)

Hope this helps!

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
How do you guys get around stuff like spammy Links, Villagers, Diddy Kongs, etc.?

This is moreso a personal problem, but just be more patient, wait for an opening, slowly go in. Don't forget you have a spammable projectile as well that is safer.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Make use of Magnet and Fsmash as absorbing and reflecting tools respectively, to make them insecure about spamming their projectiles 24/7. PK Fire also clanks or even goes through some stuff.

If you get a stock lead just camp on the other side of the stage, jumping over, shielding and dodging their projectiles, and force them to approach. Then punish and get something started from there.

MillionGoldMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MillGoldMan
3DS FC
4699-8722-4893
Mainly just run in and block

Characters like villager do terrible against shield, especially if they have a bad grab like villagers.

Also check if the projectile explodes or if it has energy. Explosions can be absorbed by down b of course, but some moves have a wierdly timed explosion that some dont know about. Like villagers lloid.

i swear im not trying to compare everything to villager, its just its the first character that i think of

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Mainly just run in and block

Characters like villager do terrible against shield, especially if they have a bad grab like villagers.

Also check if the projectile explodes or if it has energy. Explosions can be absorbed by down b of course, but some moves have a wierdly timed explosion that some dont know about. Like villagers lloid.

i swear im not trying to compare everything to villager, its just its the first character that i think of
Villager loses pretty badly to Lucas, in my opinion. Lloid Rocket loses to PK Fire and zair, and fair/bair lose to shield. Lloid Rocket, in particular, is useless for Villager in the match-up because of how long it takes for it to become active. You can PK Fire it on reaction to destroy it as it appears and hit Villager at the same time. Tree and dash attack are unreliable for Villager because they can both be reflected for kills with f-smash, as can his f-smash. Off-stage, Villager is extremely susceptible to the dair spike because his recovery doesn't protect him from the multi-hit nature of the attack and Lucas can just dair him repeatedly by re-grabbing the ledge until his recovery runs out of fuel.

The only things Villager really has going in this match-up is bowling ball off the ledge (which he has against any character, really) and the ability to go as deep as he wants to Pocket PK Thunder for the gimp. To combat this, however, all you need to do is get a lead (preferably a stock lead) and just camp center stage to force him to approach. Shield completely destroys all his options due to his very slow grab and weak conversions off of said grab. You can use PK Freeze as a safe, low commitment option to pressure a ledge-camping Villager; its very low endlag makes it very non-commital since you can choose when to stop the move if you see Villager taking action. Hitting Villager with PK Freeze at the ledge without invincibility will net you an unsurvivable stage spike on every legal stage except for Duck Hunt and Castle Siege since the upward trajectory it launches at will push Villager into the lip of the stage.

Last edited:

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Stay close. Very close. Projectiles are actually quite laggy. Try to maintain optimal spacing to keep them too close to use projectiles without being punished, but far enough that they aren't just going to swat you away.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Imo Lucas has some of the best zone breaking options in the game. He has the best absorber in smash, a very good reflector, and a projectile that hits behind other projectiles.
Its a nightmare matchup for Villager, Megaman, Samus, Robin, and DHD. I don't know how hard a time the Links have, but i can tell you spam isn't an option for them either.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
You can use PK Freeze as a safe, low commitment option to pressure a ledge-camping Villager; its very low endlag makes it very non-commital since you can choose when to stop the move if you see Villager taking action. Hitting Villager with PK Freeze at the ledge without invincibility will net you an unsurvivable stage spike on every legal stage except for Duck Hunt and Castle Siege since the upward trajectory it launches at will push Villager into the lip of the stage.
Here's a good demonstration of using PK Freeze to pressure a Villager on the ledge.

Skip to the 1:45 mark. You can see it's rather spammable since you can use it from such a long distance without fear because of it's very short cooldown.

Last edited:

CasteHappy//

Smash Apprentice
Players who spam a lot, often panic when they are getting pressured.
They also struggle at dealing with their own tools, so if your character has a projectile, spam it as well. The point is making them stop relying on spam, not dealing with it directly.

When they can't "play their game" it's easier to see openings, that's what is been working for me.
In Lucas' case, short hop PK Fire works great, also Z-Air. FSmash works as a reflector so don't be afraid to use it.

If you just want to go in, practice perfect shielding and play the match slowly. It doesn't matter if you get hit by some of their stuff, as long as you don't get frustrated.

Last edited:

Jacques Núanáin

Smash Rookie
So many options, though everybody has covered them already. Magnet, PK fire, fsmash, zair, perfect shielding, jumping. I agree that you should attempt to stay close.

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
Learning how to perfect shield the projectiles is one of the more common strategies that can help deal with projectile spam, and if you happen to get close enough after a perfect shield you can get an easy punish. Most projectile heavy players tend to panic if you get in close and avoid there projectiles since.... that's all they know how to do.

I have also found that you can negate a lot of projectiles with Z-air Rope Snake. You can also cause some grief for Mid range characters like :4villager: just by standing out of there F-air range to force them to approach by poking them with PK Fire, Freeze, Thunder, and z-air.

Top Bottom