• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with robs down throw, up air

H man

Smash Rookie
Faced a friend of mine yesterday in bracket and he uses Rob. Last life, had him at 148% and I was only at 70%. He gets a down throw then an up air. I think it's called a beep boop. I was mashing jump, but next thing I know I'm dead lol.

Rob is scary with rage.

I use Samus who is pretty floaty and generally don't have a problem with combos. Even pre-patch diddy couldn't really follow up with an up air against Samus too often.

I didn't want to air dodge because he could just wait for it and follow up, but I was honestly surprised I couldn't jump.
So I'm hoping someone on these boards is kind enough to tell me what the best options are.
Is mashing air dodge better than jump because I'd be too low for a kill?
Should I DI away, in, or not at all?, etc.

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
At higher percents, it can be DI'd out of and airdodged, provided you're not too predictable with it. It's only guaranteed at percentages where it won't kill you outside of Delfino.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Mix up your DI (left or right) and spam air dodge until you get out of hitstun.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I wouldn't necessarily recommend this. Maybe in that situation that got @ H H man killed.
The thing about the "beep boop" as most of you guys already know is that you can air dodge before you can jump
Depending on %s one option might favor another. But timing should be heavily monitored based on the ROB's behavior. For example, I like baiting air dodges. So my opponent will want to watch for this. Maybe I only bair for a good handful of frames, and my opponent still can't jump out and they are forced to airdodge. If they hold out on their airdodge just a teeny bit, he could be saving lives. It's scary af, but it's real. Samus might also be one of those characters (e.g. CF, Megaman) that stays close enough to ROB to get combo'd at those dangerous %s that can kill.

@ H H man , stay calm. Feel your ROB out. You will be put in literal do or die moments and it's up to your patience and decision making that MIGHT keep you alive. Choose lively fellow "robot"

Shog

Smash Ace
I think with ROB you have to learn how to DI out of his Down Throw, although to be fair, he can Up-Throw you with Rage and if you are in Kill%
ROB's is scary :( RIP Charizard Mains like me against ROB

At higher percents, it can be DI'd out of and airdodged, provided you're not too predictable with it. It's only guaranteed at percentages where it won't kill you outside of Delfino.
Sorry to interrupt this thread but your avatar is hilarious (and I understood that reference~)

H man

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't necessarily recommend this. Maybe in that situation that got @ H H man killed.
The thing about the "beep boop" as most of you guys already know is that you can air dodge before you can jump
Depending on %s one option might favor another. But timing should be heavily monitored based on the ROB's behavior. For example, I like baiting air dodges. So my opponent will want to watch for this. Maybe I only bair for a good handful of frames, and my opponent still can't jump out and they are forced to airdodge. If they hold out on their airdodge just a teeny bit, he could be saving lives. It's scary af, but it's real. Samus might also be one of those characters (e.g. CF, Megaman) that stays close enough to ROB to get combo'd at those dangerous %s that can kill.

@ H H man , stay calm. Feel your ROB out. You will be put in literal do or die moments and it's up to your patience and decision making that MIGHT keep you alive. Choose lively fellow "robot"
Seems like an enraged Rob has a 50:50 grab kill on my Samus around 70%. Jesus. And here I am with a laggy tether grab that doesn't kill until about 999% lol.

Well I'll be sure to kill the Rob asap rather than rack on damage from now on.

Mr. Eric, we should get some friendlies next time that we're at the same tournament. A Rob vs Samus match is always fun.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
You don't. R.O.B. is G.O.D.
But basically,
Do not get grabbed.
On a side note, if the R.O.B. tries for Up-Throw to Up-Air instead, it's actually pretty easy to DI away and airdodge in time. If you get read, you might just end up getting smacked with a Fair chain, though, which is pretty much just as bad.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Yea H-Man that was definitely a 50/50 you probably coulda air dodged but you would have risked me baiting it.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
From a patient, good player he will catch on and punish the airdodge with another Up air. So mashing airdodge isn't necessairly the best idea either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom