• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with nervousness?

LivingSunshine

Smash Rookie
It seems like I have the issue of whenever I play in a tournament or on stream, I get way more nervous and I don't play like I normally would. When I play serious friendlies, I play a lot smarter, but the moment I'm on stream or in a tournament, it seems like all of my mental power is gone. I don't really understand why this happens either...
If I could play how I normally do, I'd have a lot more success, but instead it's like my real play is locked behind bars while I'm on stream or in tournament.

Does anyone have any ways to help prevent this?

Jeeble

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jeeble
3DS FC
4227-0772-2000
Maybe this video by Omni can help you.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I'd also recommend looking into methods to overcoming Stage Fright, which is pretty much what the nervousness is when looking at it from outside the community. Stage Fright has multiple documented ways to overcome that can be easily looked up via the internet, which will be easier to find scientific documentation on than Tourney nerves or Tourney jitters. Here is a link: http://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/social-anxiety-disorder/treatment/conquering-stage-fright

I bring this up because exposure to what makes you nervous can help you learn, but it doesn't matter if you don't have a healthy mindset to handle it. The exposure approach seems to work once you know what is causing the anxiety (I can't perform right, everyone is better than me, I'm being recorded so they'll know I'm a fraud, etc) and have methods available to combat these while you are exposed. (Meditation, Deep Breathing, Understanding that rivals aren't enemies, etc)

Top Bottom