• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with getting bodied?

Lapze

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I've been playing melee for a couple years now although I haven't played against others as much as i should. Melee is cathartic for me, so I'll just put it on 99 stocks and practice on the cpu. Over time I've noticed that I've gotten a lot better (better have after years of playing) but I still run into players that completely wreck me. I can't be the only person to have the sense of "Oh wow, I'm improving" or "I'm starting to get some of this **** down" only to play against someone and feel like "nope, I'm still garbage." How the hell do you deal with that mentally? Not going to lie, every time i've gone back to playing people after feeling ive made progress, I get **** on and just want to leave. The problem is, I genuinely feel I can't really get that much better practicing against a cpu, I just know what it's going to do so easily that I can more or less zero to death each stock and that isn't helping me any more.

Have I hit some sort of wall where I can only improve by playing against people and getting my ass handed to me? How the hell do people grind through that? How do you take "oh I've been 3/4 stocked every single match for the past 10 matches" and just keep going? I want to be really good at melee, which is probably why it's so painful to be so bad lol. It's more than that though, i feel embarrassed being bad... ashamed even.

Does anyone have a relatively inspiring story of how they would get **** on over and over and eventually became super good? How do you keep going? How do you deal with losing terribly?

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Story of my life and like 99% and everyone else lol.

It's a hard thing to understand, that's kind of the "secret" with Melee and gonna guess every other FGC. Melee is a mental game, like fast-paced chess. Bait and outsmart your opponent while making moves within mili-secs.

You can do all the tech skill on point like nothing, but if you don't learn how to exploit your opponent's weakness to your advantage. You're not really gonna get anywhere. When you're playing, slow down, take a breath and analyze your opponent's movement. Don't bum rush off the start it will not end well.

Another thing that comes into play is emotions. And yea, I know it's a pain in the ass lol. If you go into your set with a bad mindset, talking down on yourself, getting really self-conscious or anxious. You are gonna lose the match, straight up. Strong emotions will screw up your consistency if you can't get them under control. Emotional control comes to everyone in their own unique ways. Find something that helps you relax when you play, and remember to focus on the game not the crowd.

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Dude, everyone who's good had to get **** on over and over to get there. That's fighting games. That's any competitive endeavour. That's life for the most part.

You have to accept that you're going to suck. You also have to enjoy the experience of playing regardless of whether or not you win. Unless you're in tournament, Melee is never about winning (and even then it shouldn't be your only focus). Like, you know you're improving, so don't get mad at yourself because you're not suddenly Mew2King. Also keep in mind that every top player has practiced like, an order of magnitude more than you, at the very least, and has practiced way more effectively too. That applies to the relatively low-level player beating you too to a lesser extent.

That's the general concept. But part of the reason you could be feeling so frustrated at losing is that you don't feel it's productive. It is productive though; when you lose, it's an opportunity to learn. Getting bodied is great! It shows you that it's possible to be as good as the person who bodied you (if someone else can do it then you can too), and it's basically like getting handed a list of everything you need to do to improve (and like, you can straight up ask the player bodying you for advice too). That should be fulfilling and exciting. If you feel like you're stagnating playing CPUs and want to play people, then why are you upset when you're playing people and clearly being given so much of value? You're there to improve more (knowing that you're far from good enough and need more practice), not show yourself how much you've already improved, right?

There will still be a lot of times where you feel you're not making any progress despite trying your best and having in mind what you should be doing, but that's on you. You have all the resources you need, and you just need to figure out how to use them. Video analysis is super helpful for that.

You also probably have to change the way you're thinking about practicing. Playing CPUs, you do combos and stuff over and over again. You learn set plays, and you grind. When playing a person, sure you practice executing those, but you have so much more you have to do. You have to watch for how the opponent is beating you and what their weaknesses are, and then adapt to that, which isn't a skill that's tested against CPUs (not in the same way at least). I mean you also just have to learn how to DI and stuff, because you don't get to practice that on your own. You can't just try to do the stuff you do against CPUs and then get upset when it doesn't work and stop there. I don't want to be too presumptuous but I'm guessing that's what's happening, and it's worth considering anyway just to make sure (and because analysing how you think about this stuff is valuable anyway).

Don't be ashamed of being bad. Everyone is bad by the standards of the top players, and everyone is bad for a long time on their journey to getting good. It's hard to have your ego challenged; no one likes feeling proud of themselves for being good at something and then finding out they're not as good as they thought. I struggle with that. You absolutely can have an ego; it's important to feel proud of yourself. You just have to keep it under control and not let it give you unrealistic expectations. Your ego just wants you to feel good about yourself; it's not really concerned with actually achieving it. You need to put in the work to justify your inflated ego, you know? That's how I like to look at it, anyway. There are other ways to look at it but they all basically come down to "be realistic but still aspire highly".

There is lots more you can do against CPUs too; they're always valuable. More so when they're 20XX ones which DI and tech properly (get that right away if you don't have it). That applies to solo practice in general; there's so much more that you can grind out by yourself than you already have, trust me. The obvious but extremely important example would be being able to consistently chaingrab a 20XX spacie 0 to death on FD (you can't do a true 0 to death every time depending on how they DI, but you should not be outright dropping anything, and the entire time between where they can ambiguously slight DI the throw at low percent and where they can start SDIing your up airs and forcing mixups after like 50% you should be covering everything on reaction. Then you should be getting more damage and either hitting them offstage, or putting them in a mixup that potentially kills them or at least potentially puts them in a particularly strong edgeguard. And of course if they don't do those things to get out you should be able to cover everything).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Most important, keep a level head, and don't give up. There will be people better than you. But when you lose, think back to how you lost, and try to correct your mistakes. I'm a Zelda main, so you can imagine the kind of hate i get. Constantly getting discouraged because of how bad she is and how I should change characters. So my point is, keep pushing, and don't give up! Hope this helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Also keep in mind getting bodied is only good if you're learning something from the experience. It's not like if you just get bodied enough times, you'll automatically get better. Getting bodied gives the opportunity to improve but doesn't guarantee improvement.

The people bodying you, as people, are they way out of your league? Are they all intellectual geniuses and all have the best motor coordination of anyone on earth? No, they're regular people, like you. If they can get good at the game, so can you. Also, do you think these people have dedicated their life to melee? Probably not. They've probably put in a good amount of time doing meaningful practice (you've probably put in a lot of time too but not in ways which make you that much better at the game. Playing CPUs just isn't very helpful). You can put in just as much time as them, if not more, and work harder and smarter than them. It's very doable. Keep in mind it is a completely reasonable goal to be able to beat these people who are currently destroying you. You can improve that much.

Glassssssssss

Smash Rookie
During a match, sometimes it can be good to get bodied. I can remember a few matches I played where the first game was a wash on my part. I still managed to spot some flaws in my opponent, capitalize off their errors and comeback in the next two games.
Getting bodied in a match can be a lot tougher. The best course of action is to take the L right away, especially if you're still in tournament. Going into another match with a negative mindset can become a big crutch and possible the end all factor. At the end of the day, holding the L makes a difference in efficient training, whether it be individual training or playing friendlies (at least that helps for me.)

I'm probably just rehashing what everyone else said. Don't give up and keep at it!

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I fully expect to get bodied at my first tourney and I will love every minute of it. I love this game and will continue to practice and improve through the years. As long as you continue to work to improve, you will eventually get bodied by less and less people and eventually become the body-er instead of the body-ee.

Top Bottom